• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

King Silver Flair 1055

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildWilly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: King Silver Flair 1055 Reply with quote

A local (within drivng distance) seller is offering a King Silver Flair 1055, serial # 629827. From a serial number guide, it appears to be from the late 70s. I know absolutely nothing about the King brand and was hoping to get some insight here. Thinking about donating it to my local school music program. Good horn for a beginner?
Gretsch Pathfinder
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King was an outstanding manufacturer and produced many excellent models of trumpets and cornets. A Silver Flair in good condition would be a wonderful addition!

http://www.hnwhite.com/

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1055 is a top-notch horn. Way above a schoolkid's needs, unless the kid is a high school hotshot.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Silverflair trumpet Reply with quote

Excellent choice of trumpet. Lucky student that plays that trumpet. But it depends on the condition of the horn. Would your local school accept a horn with minor dents or cosmetic issues.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good band director would make sure it went to the right player and it could be a terrific boost to a talented youngster, perhaps someone like the young lady in one of our local high school bands. A friend said she would be a good sub for a pre-Covid job I had. Turned out she was not available because she was playing lead in the youth band at the 2019 Monterey Jazz Festival.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played for a number of years next to a guy on a Silver Flair who played the heck out of it. Sounded great. I think he paired it with a Bach 5C.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A King Silver Flair is way above what would be appropriate for a beginner - might even be challenging in some respects. There are a lot of school kids who have been playing for a couple years and are not only ready for such an instrument, but in need of. It would be great for one of those.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The King Silver Flair model 1055T was the top of the line in excellent, high quality professional trumpets made first by the H.N. White Company and later by King Musical Instruments from 1964 through 1979. The T is a reference to the trigger used on the first valve slide.

The website mentioned above provides good information about the H.N. White Company and its history, the subsequent King Musical Instruments Company, and the various instruments that were produced.

The King Silver Flair model 1055T was a high quality, professional level trumpet. The King Silver Flair model 1055T was not designed to be a beginner or student line instrument. The King Silver Flair 1055T was made with a .462 bore, 1st valve slide trigger, and adjustable third valve slide ring. It was a rather light weight trumpet with excellent valve action, and is rather free blowing.

Mechanical and cosmetic condition would be very important on a horn of this age.

Last edited by DaveH on Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when I was in high school back in the '70s, the Silver Flair was King's top of the line pro horn. I had a friend who had one and it was excellent. I don't know if it's the kind of thing to buy and give to a schoolkid (it's really a pro horn) but the horn is really good.

keith
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject: King silver flair 1055 Reply with quote

Do check out the link that JHatPro put up for you. They have left a very extensive history of their company to their credit. I had a cornet mailed to me by a friend 4-5 years ago and was able to find out the manufacture date of 1970 and other things. I grew up in Ohio and while neither of my teacher/directors had anyone with Silver Flair horns in band, I used to run into them at select band and contest situations all the time. Everyone's right, as they are very nice horns. It would be a great gift.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thinking is that a student horn is going to be best for young players, in part because they are often more durable. But a somewhat serious player in high school should be in a position to benefit from a pro horn and will hopefully be responsible enough not to trash it.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty likely that a student instrument will incur some damage at some point. Having taught beginner band for almost 2 decades, stuff happens. Even if your kid is careful, that's not necessarily the case with all of your kid's classmates.

King Silver Flair is a great horn, I've heard. I'd get something less rare and vintage. If you want to buy for him to possibly use later down the line, that's fine. A used student trumpet (although how you feel about this with the virus, is something to consider) is a great way to go. For $300 (or less, possibly) you can get something solid, good playing, and something that can be fixed and you shouldn't cry too much about if it gets dents. Plus, it's good for marching band in the future.

I'd suggest:

- Getzen student horn (300, 390, 400, 490)
- Yamaha student model (various)
- Bach TR300 (also fine)

There are others, but these are good and are pretty common. The Getzen has excellent valves, not quite as common as the other 2.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The King 1055T Silver Flair was their top line trumpet, and the .462" bore and tapers make it a very free-blowing trumpet. the player really needs to fill the horn with air (I know, as I played one for many years.) I would not place it in the hands of a beginner, but rather an accomplished high school trumpeter. Perhaps you would contribute more by getting a few nice used student horns and present them to the band director for the beginners.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Venturi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As everyone has said, the King Silver Flair is a great horn. Played one for years. You'll want to make sure it really is a 1055T, not the subsequent horns that shared the Flair name but not the quality. The receiver should say "Flair" in engraved script, the valve caps should be rounded and not knurled, and so on.

You didn't mention price or condition, both of which are key considerations, of course. Presuming it's in good mechanical shape and the price is equivalent to that of a few student horns, you may want to decide whether you would like to get one really nice horn for basically one player at a time or a few student horns for a few players. As others have said, in most schools below college, any horn will be 100% guaranteed to take hard knocks, especially as it will get handed down from student to student -- some will treat it like a dear friend and others will treat it like a piece of plumbing. Might be helpful to see what the director would prefer.

It's really nice of you to think about school programs -- we all can use more of this!
Sir_Ricardo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:31 pm    Post subject: cleaning Silver Flair....how do I take off the trigger? Or? Reply with quote

Greetings all -

I recently got a nice condition 1055t Silver Flair. I'd like to clean it. It has a 1st slide trigger. How do I take off the trigger, or perhaps I should say "how do I get the slide off?"

The trigger has a spring. Is it ok to get water on the spring?

Any thoughts?

thanks - Richard
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trigger should have a fork that interlocks with a nib on the slide, so you should be able to pull the slide right off without disassembling the trigger. It's a really clever design, and not found on any other mid-century brass instruments, to my knowledge.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning Silver Flair....how do I take off the trigger? Reply with quote

Sir_Ricardo wrote:
Greetings all -

I recently got a nice condition 1055t Silver Flair. I'd like to clean it. It has a 1st slide trigger. How do I take off the trigger, or perhaps I should say "how do I get the slide off?"

The trigger has a spring. Is it ok to get water on the spring?

Any thoughts?

thanks - Richard

To remove the slide you press the trigger which actuated the slide. With your thumb on the trigger you pull the slide off and slowly release the trigger. If you just let go of the trigger it will slam down and cause damage to the tines of the trigger where the slide slips into as well as cause damage to the valve block.

Yes you can get water on the spring but it is best to make sure it gets dried off.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
Sir_Ricardo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning Silver Flair....how do I take off the trigger? Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:

To remove the slide you press the trigger which actuated the slide. With your thumb on the trigger you pull the slide off and slowly release the trigger. If you just let go of the trigger it will slam down and cause damage to the tines of the trigger where the slide slips into as well as cause damage to the valve block.

Yes you can get water on the spring but it is best to make sure it gets dried off.

Thank you!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as we're at it, does anyone know it's tone? Like a Severensen, Benge or more middle core like a Bach? In other words, is it a bright horn?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
As long as we're at it, does anyone know it's tone? Like a Severensen, Benge or more middle core like a Bach? In other words, is it a bright horn?

It is brighter than my 2055t was or my Bach 72 or my 1967 Bach 37 was.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: