• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hakan Hardenberger

View previous topic :: View next topic  
richj50
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just curious if anyone knows anything about the mouthpiece that Hardenberger uses on his Bb and C trumpets. While I've never heard him live, he seems to have an uncanny ability to combine exceptionally crisp technique and brilliant upper register playing with a very broad, orchestral-like tone. I have never heard any other classical soloist play with such a combination of sound and technique and was just curious what sort of equipment he uses. I do know that he's got a Malone Bach C and a NY Bach Bb, but that's it.

If you haven't heard his early The Virtuouso Trumpet recording with Pontinen, his recording of the Maxwell Davies trumpet concerto and Endless Parade, and his recent Prayers Without Words trumpet/organ album, then you haven't lived!

Has anyone here heard him live? How does he sound in person vs. on the recordings?

Rich
big brian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.

The mouthpiece Hakan plays on his Bb, C, Eb and piston valve picc (yep, he uses the same one) is...one of Tom Steven's old mouthpieces. T.Stevens had it custom made by some guy who used to work for yamaha (he worked for them at the time he had it made) and when Hakan studied with him, he gave him it. Its also interesting to know that Hakan has no idea whatsoever of the spec. on that mouthpiece. He just plays it. When I spoke to him I remember him mentioning that its somewhere around a bach 2 1/2...but many things could be varied.

He uses a different mpc with his rotary picc. The rest, well, its all that one mpc.

Hope this helps (I found it scary when I asked him about his mpc and I all I got was "I really dont know...")

Brian
richj50
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. That is really wild that he doesn't have a clue. If I were him, I'd get it copied or at least measured. What if he lost it!!! How would you know where to start on replacing it? Then again, he could probably spend 30 minutes in a music store and walk out with a mouthpiece that he'd sound just as good on.

I'd really like to hear him live. I know that he's doing a concert up in Canada this season with one of the orchestras. I'm considering flying up to see him perform.

Rich
big brian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by big brian on Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
richj50
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian--

It's a recent concerto. I can't remember the name. It may be mentioned in the site for his management. Check out these Hardenberger links that I have bookmarked:

http://www.kdschmid.de/englisch/02kuenst/1kuenstler.php3?k_id=45
http://region.hive.no/ntf/english/hardenberger/
http://www.trumpetguild.org/news/news01/hakan.htm

--Rich
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting an old thread. I am hoping someone knows what kind of flugelhorn he plays?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COqcbpZAuIU&t=2520s
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The young guy looks like it's a Bach, I think Hardenbergers horn is/was a Yamaha.

On two side notes- what a great player that young guy is! And what an oportunity to get to play a master class with full orchestra and Hardenberger whipping you along!!
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
seilogramp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetera wrote:
On two side notes- what a great player that young guy is! And what an oportunity to get to play a master class with full orchestra and Hardenberger whipping you along!!

I agree. I loved watching that video. I found it odd that Håkan kept looking at his watch.
1972 Getzen Eterna 900S
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big brian wrote:
Hey.

The mouthpiece Hakan plays on his Bb, C, Eb and piston valve picc (yep, he uses the same one) is...one of Tom Steven's old mouthpieces. .... Its also interesting to know that Hakan has no idea whatsoever of the spec. on that mouthpiece. He just plays it. When I spoke to him I remember him mentioning that its somewhere around a bach 2 1/2...but many things could be varied.

Hope this helps (I found it scary when I asked him about his mpc and I all I got was "I really dont know...")

Well that says something about obsessing over gear. I also once heard an interview with Alison Balsom and someone asked her about her mouthpiece and she said she really did not know. Another example of the same thing.

I guess it is only us earthlings that have to obsess over gear. If you are on that other level it ceases to matter so much.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toshi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: