• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What and When Was Your First?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
My first horn was a C melody sax that had belonged to my grandfather.

If we're talking first instruments that weren't trumpets than for me it was a Magnus chord organ that my dad got from a garage sale. To the uninitiated that's a keyboard with push button chords along the lines of an accordion. To this day I have no idea why he bought it. My dad was frugal to a fault and there was no instrumental music in my household before that time. But because he did, i used that crummy keyboard and the books that came with it to teach myself how to read music and and to construct chords (maj, min, 7th, aug, dim) even before they offered music at my elementary school in 5th grade. When I picked up trumpet in the 5th grade all I had to worry about was the mechanics of the horn.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: What and when was your first Reply with quote

Hello all,
I wanted to play drums or trombone, but dad had a 1948 Olds Special in the closet. 6th grade 1969. Still a great horn. Used it through junior high and then high school and college marching band. Almost time to have the valves done...but not quite.
PMonteiro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first trumpet was a beat up Blessing Accord that I got on ebay for around $30. The thing is built like a tank. It tolerated years of me using WD-40 as valve oil until I knew better.

I've since cleaned it up and converted it to become my first C trumpet. Got the dents out, stripped the old lacquer, and fabricated a Bach-style 3rd slide stop rod. For a DIY conversion done in my garage, it plays really well as a C trumpet and looks nice.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: What and When Was Your First? Reply with quote

WildWilly wrote:
Got my first instrument in 1955, a Gretsch Pathfinder trumpet. It was cobbled together with solder and baling wire and I loved it. I just purchased another Pathfinder for sentimental reasons only. Plan to display it in my music room.What and when was your first horn?

On a side note, I've searched high and low for a serial number list for Gretsch. Anybody know of a source?

Switching from tenorhorn in my brass band I was handed a heavy (as in heavy) Czech cornet. Can´t remember the name, this was 1959..........However I practiced and practiced (no formal lessons..) a year or so, not being able to produce decent sounds. Finally I complained, handed it over to the soprano man who, having tried to play just anything but couldn´t told me "it´s leaking".
We brought the contraption to the local shop, traded it for a used Regent cornet (Boosey&Hawkes??) - thus starting my successful amataeur playing
Bottom line - be stubborn, up to a point.....Taught me endurance!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first horn was a Blessing Super Artist cornet from around 1956 or so. Played it through HS in the 70's and then sold it after I picked up a Bach Strad for college. The SA was a nice horn and I've never found anything like it since. Whoever bought has/had one sweet horn.
Bach Strad 43 Sterling Silver Plus
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
joe1joey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:
A rental I do not recall the name of. Not a Bundy.

Played it in 4th grade and half of fifth at which point the folks sprang for a Bach Mercedes (this was early 1969, so early Elkhart?). Played through sophomore year of HS. Sold the horn in my mid-20s. Not a horn about which I say "Geez, I wish I still had that."

A 1972 Mercedes earned my compliments as the finest Bach of it's era, and outside of a Holton Stratodyne, of late 50's, and an early 50' Blessing Artist, a player that I'd look to buy back...had I'd ever had parted with it.
Geez, it's funny that way...within one model how different outcomes can be.
Estevao

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it’s not a dead thread:

1962: rental cornet (name unknown, mpc had “steps” like Curry Hitman.

1963: My single mother of 5 managed to buy me a new Bundy cornet that came with a terrible mpc. The rim was flat, @ 3/16 wide, and the cup was narrow & extremely shallow.

1968: I played that combo all thru high school.I finally talked my band teacher (who played screamingly high trumpet for circuses that came thru town) into trying it. A few licks later he said, “If you ever sell this horn please don’t sell it anywhere in this state.”

BTW: I had so mal-treated that Bundy that he talked my mother into getting it completely rebuilt. In the meantime he loaned me his older than dirt Olds Recording trumpet with heavy copper bell & dual triggers. It Looked like Quasimodo and sang like Caruso. I begged him to sell to me but he refused, citing its ugliness. Not every kid wants a shiny horn.

I sometimes wonder if my trumpet playing “career” would have taken a better path if one of my teachers had bothered to check out my sub-par equipment.

"Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet . . . "
Ps. 150:3a
JensenW

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rented a Yamaha student model for maybe 10 months, when my wife went to Las Vegas for work and found this Yamaha 737 in a pawn shop. I went out there, tried the horn, and we bought it. I have had it ever since, and it's my one and only.

The goal is to be a better trumpeter today than I was yesterday.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: What and when was your first? Reply with quote

September 1960, fifth grade. Mom and Dad popped for a new Conn Director and it was like a little over $100. My dad made a pronouncement that "you better practice the damned thing." Which I always did. Don't know who the Conn compared with other horns in the day but I played it, alot, and kept it up the best I could. In those days I knew what $100 meant to my folks. With that Director they game me the love for music. A great gift.
agroovin48

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: My first Reply with quote

In 1959 my first instrument was a Roth cornet. I loved it, but I hated my teacher who eventually drove me away from playing because of his abusive behavior. The cornet passed down to my sister and then a brother who proceed to trash it. I had thought it was long gone until helping to clean out my recently deceased sister's apartment. I have it again and am planning on having it restored. Expensive for a student cornet, but there is a lot of sentimental value there.

Alan Cahill

1933 Conn Victor 80A Cornet
King Legend 2070
Adams A1V2
Dink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: First horn Reply with quote

My first was an old used $35 English Besson. It was a dog at best.
Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
LeBlanc Bobby Harriott Model
My. Vernon Bach Mercury Model
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used King. 1958.

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Student Blessing something-or-other in the early 70s... hand-me-down from my brother. Pretty terrible and it ended up as a wall decoration.
Surcouf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first trumpet was an old rental peashooter of unknown (to me) age and provenance; after a year my parents did a rent-to-own on a used, but very nice 1964 Olds Special - and that is still my every day horn.
thecoast
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen Caravelle. Got it new when I was 17 years old (so mid 1979). A few years ago, I gave it to a grandnephew. He never really quite took off with music. Found out he wasn't using it and asked if he wouldn't mind sending it home. It suffered more in a few years in his hands than in the decades I had it. Zip tie around the lead pipe brace right now. I think I will get a nice Getzen when I get some money. I wonder what their C trumpets feel like.
—Yamaha YTS-354 trombone
—King 627 “baritonium”
—Akai EWI 5000
jrpbrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: What and When Was Your First? Reply with quote

WildWilly wrote:
Got my first instrument in 1955, a Gretsch Pathfinder trumpet. It was cobbled together with solder and baling wire and I loved it. I just purchased another Pathfinder for sentimental reasons only. Plan to display it in my music room.What and when was your first horn?

On a side note, I've searched high and low for a serial number list for Gretsch. Anybody know of a source?

Your Pathfinder was probably made by Harry Pedler & Sons in Elkhart. I have lists of surviving brass from Gretsch and Pedler at my BrassHistory.net website but so far have only some estimates on dates.

My first horn was a William Frank American Prep cornet. A real tank but it did the job in grade school. My first trumpet was a Yamaha YTR-735 (I think) from the early 1980s. It served me well for many years.
Geo7084

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: 1st Horn Reply with quote

My parents bought me a new Olds Ambassador in 1961. I still have it. The valves are great and actually sounds pretty good for a student level horn. I think Olds put the quality in before the name went on...Ha ha.
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played some beat up Conn cornet for a year. Then my dad found a trumpet for me in the want ads for $300. Turned out to be a Mt. Vernon Bach 43. The funny thing is he didn't know anything about trumpets, it was just dumb luck.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1927-ish Conn cornet, belonged to my grandfather. Pretty much everyone in the family played it at one time or another (grandfather, mother, aunt, cousin and uncle), I then inherited it about three years ago.

Brad
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Student King model, used.
When I made 1st chair my dad bought me an L.A. Mendez..... I cherished that horn......

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: