• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What and When Was Your First?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
callee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was around 1987 at a salvation army church outside of Hamilton Ontario. They had a bunch of these besson cornets that they used for beginners. I'm not even sure the model, but it had a small case and was a matte silver finish.

I played it for 3 or 4 years, but my dream was always the shiny silver getzen cornet that my late grandfather had donated to that church. They finally let me have that one. I played it for a number of years and considered it my "first" , but when I went away to college the church explained I had to leave the horn with them!

They passed it on to some beginner who never wiped it off after playing. After 3 years that church shut down and I managed to rescue my getzen from them. It had bad tarnish marks in the common hand spots, and turns out it was a DEG not a getzen, but it was mine and I've kept it to this day and play it regularly. It's a great horn, lovely valves.

I've often thought about trying to track down one of those old bessons.
skishhhh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In about 1962 my mother (an elementary music teacher) came up with an old cornet that looked like 20 students had beat it to death over the prior 30 years. Valves didn't work, slides didn't move, and it took everything I had to make any sound on it. A few weeks later she brought home a serviceable Collegiate by Holton cornet, which I played for 2-3 years.
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1962 Olds Ambassador bought from Alliance, Ohio Band-Orch store. Good horn. Many years later, I still have 2 or 3 of them........
Yogadidit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: First Horn Reply with quote

In 4th grade my dad bought me a used American Standard trumpet by H.N. White. I played it until middle school when I got a 36B Conn Connstellation trumpet. Band director advised me to ditch the American Standard for a better horn.
MV Bach 239C/Bb
Yamaha 6330II Cornet
Getzen 895 Eterna Flugel
Dillon Piccolo
Dave_3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First trumpet was in 1968, for 6th grade band.

I had a great uncle who left school when he was a teenager, to play trumpet in a circus band. Later in life, he opened a music store, and did very well. My mother called him to ask what type of beginner trumpet to get, and he said he would pick one out, and send it to me. But for the life of me, I can't remember the brand.

First guitar was in 1967. A rental, and again, I can't remember the brand.

I guess it's true what they say......the memory is the second thing to go.
tmaudlin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1965 or 66 Bach 72 MLV red brass bell
played very nice
I played Jr high and high school some college.
got married and sold to help with down payment on house
I was young and stupid. Wish I still had it today.
Coming back after 40 + years
tvknight415
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Her name was... oh you meant horns... nevermind...

I started on tuba, with a pit stop on baritone, before picking up trumpet as an adult. My first trumpet was a beat up Bundy I got from the local music store in the late 90’s. Traded it in for a new Getzen Eterna II in ‘ 04, which I still own.
so what
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was about 10 years old (early 1960s), I began playing my Dad's King Liberty from the 30s with the diamond shaped brace. Great trumpet. I still play it now and then. Most of the other trumpets in the band were Ambassadors with a few King Clevelands and a Bundy or two. One person had a Getzen that really stood out with its copper, nickel and brass.

By the end of high school, I saved up enough (about $325) for a new Benge that I bought from the local Benge rep, who happened to be Jerry Callet. Jerry told me that I needed a better teacher, not a better trumpet. That Burbank Benge is certainly a nice trumpet. I still play it, too.
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first trumpet was an Olds Ambassador in 5th grade. I used it for marching band in HS. After that it remained in it's case until a couple years ago when I gave it to an under privileged school district in rural Tennessee. Hopefully it's being put to good use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: