• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

5-valved trumpet by Trent Hamilton

View previous topic :: View next topic  
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:56 pm    Post subject: 5-valved trumpet by Trent Hamilton Reply with quote

Link
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the two videos I made on YouTube with my Blackburn/Pickett 5-valve C trumpet. Unlike your toy here, it is a real instrument. I'm surprised you don't know about it.

David Hickman
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The history of C/D trumpets of the ‘French school’ in particular, are fascinating, and Prof. Hickman’s work with Blackburn trumpets to modernize these inspired antiques into a functional modern design is indeed notable.

With risk of speaking for Trent, his brass knowledge is incredibly vast though ever slightly more specialized in low and middle brasswinds, plus BBB and Salvation Army band historical instruments. While I’m sure he’s played a few early Sax-inspired seven valved instruments an octave lower than trumpets, some of the smaller specialized instruments seem to be newer additions to his areas of expertise.

Best,
-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Picc;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaaannnd Trent got me!

Not going to give away the twist, but I was expecting a BRASS instrument!

Trent, if you check out this page often, do investigate the Hickman/Blackburn, earlier Thibouville-Lamy and other French and Belgian designs for C/D and other hybrid 4 and 5 valve trumpets of the early 20th. The late Roger Voisin once allowed me to play the Pucinella call on his antique C/D horn, and commissioned two or three such horns in modern build from Kanstul. Ren Schilke would occasionally modify Bach and other Cs into C/D horns, and the term “Tottlephone” was often used to describe the custom horns Armando Ghitala had Bill Tottle build from Bach CML and 238 bell horns. In modern times, four-and-more rotary valved horns are built by Thein and Berndt C. Meyer, who has also come up with a “Doppletrompete” in C/high G.

Best regards,
-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Picc;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Johnny-Highnote
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha
Trent did a great vid-he did it so serious....some people may not check out this is a great parody

38b "Frankenconn" with Bauerfeind Valve block/ Yamaha 6345G /Yamaha 631/Courtois 154G / Curry+Klier 1,5 mpc`s
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpt.hick wrote:
Take a look at the two videos I made on YouTube with my Blackburn/Pickett 5-valve C trumpet. Unlike your toy here, it is a real instrument. I'm surprised you don't know about it.

David Hickman

Dear Professor Hickman,

Very sorry for my omission, especially as I have known about your 5-valved trumpet for a number of years, and listened with great pleasure to the excerpts that you had played on the horn to illustrate the strong points of the instrument.

I thought I had posted about your horn on TH, but apparently not. I have now made a TH post with your videos and the link to the Blackburn website where the horn can be ordered.

Thank you for beautiful playing and design!
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Prof Hickman has offered the Orchestral Trumpet Community a great advancement on the three valve trumpet. This is very clear in his videos. Like Merri Franquin he has offed us a much improved design. I would purchase one in a heartbeat if I had the money.

I would be interested in how many of these have been sold to our colleagues? I hope that we have can see the obvious benefits this trumpet offers. Thank you Mr. Hickman.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the detailed post about the 5-valve Hickman-Blackburn C trumpet:
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=154671

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: