• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Unsung Techs?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcox6918

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: The Unsung Techs? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I know that the trumpet community has 'set' figures in the repair/restoration world such as the big figures like Landress, Metzler, Charlie's Brassworks and etc., but I was wondering who the unsung technicians/restorers are in the business? (Don't hate me for not mentioning the other masters, I'll run out of space if I did... )

I ask partly, out of curiosity and partly, me wanting to try some of their services. Although their work is superb, the hype, waiting time (huge backlogs at times) and repair cost demanded isn't really worth it to me. I'm not saying that these fellas are bad or anything but I'm just saying that surely, there must be some other technicians with plenty of talent that could well be one of the 'big figures' in the future?

I'd be interested to know if you know of any unsung technicians. I've got some old horns that need repairs and I'm quite happy to send them my horns to see how good [their skills] they are.

Regards,

Edit*: Also it's always a BONUS if the tech offers good services for the money paid.

Last edited by rcox6918 on Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't call him "unsung", but a fine technician who doesn't get mentioned as often is Kevin Powers in Royal Oak, MI. Superb work!!!

HTH

Ben
rcox6918

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben,

Does Mr Powers have a website handy?
Wrms
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A list of talented techs would be great. I'd be curious to know whether the folks added to this are willing to do sympathetic work on vintage horns, pre 1900 and such. That's probably a much smaller group. In my experience, many techs have no interest in this area. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Mark
derekthor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever someone comes into my shop and wants their instrument to be fully overhauled to both play and look like factory brand new, we reccomend John Uttech in Merril, Wisconsin.
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to his website:

http://www.mmis.us

Kevin worked at Schilke while Renold was still alive. He worked with Tuba World for years and did/does a lot of work for the DSO guys. I've known him for almost (gulp) 40 years and have always been completely satisfied with the work he has done for me...

HTH

Ben
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Del Quado (DQ Custom Shop is a fantastic repairman as well as horn builder. He posts some of his ridiculous repair jobs on his FB shop page occasionally. Highly recommend.

Ian McCarthy (formerly ACB, then IMBrass) also did fantastic work, but I'm not sure he's still taking repair work (FB page)
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw Shucks

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people here know him so I'm not sure whether they think of him as 'unsung', but Jim Becker at Osmun brass would definitely be on my list.

keith
deleted_user_48e5f31

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Best Tech Reply with quote

Deleted by dfcoleman

Last edited by deleted_user_48e5f31 on Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
ndelson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely Chris Cromer with A minor Tune Up & Brasswind Services. Chris is the one who does all of the mobile repair and ultrasonic cleanings at conferences and colleges, so you've probably seen him if you've been to any of those. His work is exceptional.

https://www.facebook.com/A-minor-Tune-Up-Trumpet-Brasswind-Services-101959526554469/

http://www.aminortuneup.com
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Deiss at Southeastern Musical Services in Huntsville, Alabama. He's restored a Commitee and a very early Elkhart Bach for me, as well as a valve alignment on a Bach Commercial Trumpet. I addition to that "usual" sort of work, I know he has a lot of expertise in pre-1900 instruments.

Take care,
Marc Speed
Amateur's Amateur

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Paulson in Seattle.

http://www.mikepaulsonbrassmasters.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1QJOWpkvFc

He's a great guy to talk with ! Really knows his stuff. It's fun to hand him a horn, tell him the problem I'm having and then, after a few seconds of looking it over he says, "well, it's because this and this and that cause X" or whatever. A ton of knowledge and experience and a keen eye. Former Vegas lead player to boot.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Tech Reply with quote

dfcoleman wrote:
Gary Dafler at Hauer Music in the Dayton Ohio area. Superb work!

I'll second this...

Of course, Jim Becker at Osmun Music is top notch
Retired Air Force Bandsman
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed wrote:
Bill Deiss at Southeastern Musical Services in Huntsville, Alabama. He's restored a Commitee and a very early Elkhart Bach for me, as well as a valve alignment on a Bach Commercial Trumpet. I addition to that "usual" sort of work, I know he has a lot of expertise in pre-1900 instruments.

Take care,
Marc Speed

Second that, did an incredible job on two horns I've played, a early Getzen Doc and an abandoned Bach Strad, left in a band room to rot for quite a while until it was discovered behind some risers.

The Strad was in bad, bad shape, was absolutely black with tarnish when it was found, I did CPR on it and at least got it where it was silver and sort of shiney, didn't touch the damage done. It was far beyond my abilities, and languished for several years before it was sent to him.

He will remember my friend and I, as my friend tripped and did a header right into the table in front of the door.

It also went out for replating, and plays like a new horn. I would buy it, but I have 'issues' with Strad's, I will fully admit exist solely between my ears.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not in the USA, but Marcel Schot from Atelier Pfeiffer in the Netherlands is well known for his top quality (brass) instrument repairs (both by domestic and foreign customers). Their specialties are trumpet and trombones.
astadler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Korzick out of New Haven, CT, does incredible work. He was the go-to guy for Allan Dean when I studied with him for my MM and he did some great work at incredible prices for me and others in the studio. No website but there’s a FB dedicated to his work and his phone number is available there.
veum
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area then try Eric Peterson. PM me for contact info.

Bill
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plp wrote:
Speed wrote:

Take care,
Marc Speed

Second that, did an incredible job on two horns I've played, a early Getzen Doc and an abandoned Bach Strad, left in a band room to rot for quite a while until it was discovered behind some risers.

The Strad was in bad, bad shape, was absolutely black with tarnish when it was found, I did CPR on it and at least got it where it was silver and sort of shiney, didn't touch the damage done. It was far beyond my abilities, and languished for several years before it was sent to him.

He will remember my friend and I, as my friend tripped and did a header right into the table in front of the door.

It also went out for replating, and plays like a new horn. I would buy it, but I have 'issues' with Strad's, I will fully admit exist solely between my ears.

I’ll third the recommendation for Bill Deiss at Southeastern Musical Services. They have restored 3 instruments (a Mt. Vernon Bach trumpet, a Conn 5A Victor cornet, and an Olds L12 flugelhorn) for me, as well as various repairs and a few customizations. Great work, fast turnaround, and reasonable prices - I highly recommend them.

J. Landress Brass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In no particular order of skill, but here are some people I look up to and respect what they do as craftsman. Sorry if I missed anyone:

David Zoni
Michael Del Quadro
Kevin Stiles
Don Sawday
Jim Becker
Adrian Jiminet (France)
Fabrice Wambergue (France)
Daniel Oberloh
Brain Stevenson
Wayne Tanabe
Bob Malone
Ewan DivittCorey Divine
Conner Habib
Paul Chamborne
Mark Metzler
Robb Stewart
Rich Ita
and of course the staff at my shop
646-922-7126
www.jlandressbrass.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: