• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Music stand

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Music stand Reply with quote

Looking for a music stand that can hold the Arban, and can collapse pretty small. My other one doesn’t really fit in my locker with my trumpet case...the problem is the top portion is large. I realize it’s a tough ask for both sturdiness and portability/collapsibility, but I figured I’d try anyway. Thanks!
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like these:

https://descamusic.com

I have 5 for my BQ. Plenty sturdy...

HTH

Ben
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the Desca. I've had mine for years and it's a great stand. Definitely sturdy enough for an Arban book, yet it's quite light due to its skeletonized structure. Good stuff. I gigged with it for a long time until I went all-digital with my tablet.
BaldEagle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the Rat Jazz stand might work for you. It is very sturdy, and collapses to a very manageable size. But....they are not cheap.
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hercules music stands.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with a lot of folding stands is they DO collapse.😉

I have a couple of KMs, the desktop folds, very sturdy (an Arbans would be no problem) and they come with a carry bag. When folded in the bag, it’s about the size of a disassembled pool cue stick. I’ve brought it into gigs where someone thought that’s what it was.

Brad
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't tried this, but they are inexpensive on Amazon and seem like they may work:

ChromaCast Pro Series Music Stand with Accessories
Lukarino

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+2 for the Desca. Got one a month ago to use in college so I don't have to deal with disinfecting for Covid. Will hold anything, even my laptop when tilted flat. It may seem somewhat flimsy to the touch (because of the joints that allow it to fold) but it is quite sturdy when put together. Folds up to about the length of a trumpet and the width of a large cell phone, and has a built in handle. The only drawback so far is that the stand is hard to raise (it uses 2 spring tension clamps) but it works well enough.
And the company is owned by a trumpet player.
astadler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peak music stands are incredible. Solid back that folds around the base, small profile and very durable. Plus you can get one tall enough to play off of while standing if needed.
jazzjezz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a K&M 107 music stand for many years now. It is a very sturdy foldable stand, can hold a big folder or an Arbans easily. I would have no hesitation in recommending it.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting topic. I'm looking for a strong but compact stand as well. The ones that can hold a folder with 100+ arrangements while extended fully to standing range are usually a bit too large to easily fit in a bag, whereas those that fit are often flimsy. I'm sure gonna look into the ones you guys shared. Thanks for the tips!

Does anyone have any experience with the K&M 101 stand? It seems to be really compact (39cm when folded) but I'm curious as to how much weight it can hold when fully extended. Does anyone know?
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
This is an interesting topic. I'm looking for a strong but compact stand as well. The ones that can hold a folder with 100+ arrangements while extended fully to standing range are usually a bit too large to easily fit in a bag, whereas those that fit are often flimsy. I'm sure gonna look into the ones you guys shared. Thanks for the tips!

Does anyone have any experience with the K&M 101 stand? It seems to be really compact (39cm when folded) but I'm curious as to how much weight it can hold when fully extended. Does anyone know?

I do. Our brass septet had a full set of those - I also have my own. They often held our gig book, a big 1.5-2" three ring binder of our tunes. They look like they won't hold that, but they totally do. I can't say it's stability is inspiring at that, but they never buckled. Outdoors, on uneven ground, with a bit of a breeze is pretty adventurous with that weight, but it was done a fair amount over the decade I played regularly with them.

My Peak is far more inspiring for stability with something like that. It's not as small folded up, though.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
I do. Our brass septet had a full set of those - I also have my own. They often held our gig book, a big 1.5-2" three ring binder of our tunes. They look like they won't hold that, but they totally do. I can't say it's stability is inspiring at that, but they never buckled. Outdoors, on uneven ground, with a bit of a breeze is pretty adventurous with that weight, but it was done a fair amount over the decade I played regularly with them.

That's very helpful, thanks for sharing.

Crazy Finn wrote:
My Peak is far more inspiring for stability with something like that. It's not as small folded up, though.

That's the thing...recently I've been needing to bring more and more stuff along to gigs (uniform, music folder, 4 mutes, French horn, stand, Covid cleaning tools, etc.) and I'm looking for something portable without its own case. To fit in my backpack, the stand would need to be 45cm long at most when folded.

Do you have experiences with the 100/5? It's a little bit longer when folded but if it's a lot more sturdy, it may be worth a shot...I think it might just barely fit in my backpack.
tyler.slamkowski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my closest friends owns Desca, here in Albuquerque. Tons of us, from music students to professionals, have been using them all over town. Not a single issue. Everybody’s trying to get one. They are great stands. I use mine with a heavy laptop sometimes, no issues.
michael_bxl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lately looking for stands too. K&M has a lot of different choices.

If you are playing standing up, please don't forget to check for the stand height.

(it seems that for exemple K&M 100/5 XL and K&M 10810 are suitable for tall people)
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
Do you have experiences with the 100/5? It's a little bit longer when folded but if it's a lot more sturdy, it may be worth a shot...I think it might just barely fit in my backpack.

Looking at the pictures, I can't tell whether I have the 101 or this one. I bought it a decade ago, in person - and I can't tell what is different between them visually, from the pictures.

I'd go look, but it's lost somewhere in my basement. It's like the small, sad, messy version of the warehouse in Indiana Jones or Warehouse 13.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought the Desca

Thanks everyone!
Dink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Music stand Reply with quote

The Nilton Magic is awesome, if you can find one. Pricy but you get what you pay for in this case.
Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
LeBlanc Bobby Harriott Model
My. Vernon Bach Mercury Model
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Desca and I replaced it last year for outdoor gigs because the legs are just too short. I don't know why they don't make them longer; seems like there would be room when folded up. It's plenty strong for Arbans or a large folder, and the accessory shelf is great, but at standing height it's just too tippy.

I kept it, but for big-band park gigs I bought a Peak. Mine has a full-size non-folding desk so it's too big for a locker, but I'm no longer piling cases on the legs to make sure it doesn't blow over.
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
shermantrumpet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Peak and like it. Sturdy and easy to use, folds up fairly small. Maybe not enough for a locker, but for most uses it's fine.

A bonus of the Peak is that it has a black back with no open holes. When contractors are looking for you to bring a stand, they often want that Manhasset or Wenger look. Close up this isn't that, but it's great from the audience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: