• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

trumpet for young brother

View previous topic :: View next topic  
whothatguy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:41 am    Post subject: trumpet for young brother Reply with quote

Hi everyone, my name is Gwen! I'm a newbie, I play trumpet only about 2 months, and I happy to swell the ranks of flute-players
My little brother Sam is only 14 years old, and he is about to join us too. He knew that I started playing trumpet not so long time ago and he also knew that I'd learned only one tune. When I played to him he said that he wanted to play trumpet too, and asked me to gift him a trumpet for his b-day Insofar as I dunno which trumpet I should buy, I want to ask your advice! What is a good option to go with?
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:14 am    Post subject: Student trumpet Reply with quote

Welcome to the trumpet world. There are many great student trumpets available. How much are you willing to spend? What is available in your area? Either a used Yamaha 2330,Getzen 400, Bach 300, student trumpets are excellent ones to start with. What brand and model trumpet do you play? What is the cost of renting a trumpet in your area? Are you and your brother taking band at your high school or do you have a private teacher?

Last edited by jondrowjf@gmail.com on Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:59 am; edited 3 times in total
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommendation would be not to buy him a trumpet at all. Even the cheap ones are rather expensive and unless you're sure he's gonna stick with it, chances are high that it'll be a waste of money. If you're dead set on buying a trumpet for him though, maybe check the local shops for a cheap 2nd hand one?
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider renting.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to trumpet playing.
Like others, I would ask what trumpet you play. You might let him try that one.
You cannot really go wrong with a Yamaha student trumpet if you want to buy one, but as others have mentioned, renting is also an option. It becomes more expensive than buying a used student trumpet rapidly these days I have heard.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think before this threads goes any further, it would be nice to know what the budget is.

Also, you might find this useful (or not LOL). https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=148741&highlight=

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where are your parents?
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rental is often best until the players get more committed.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much depends on variables. Where are you? How much do you have to spend? What is the availability of teachers?
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many discouraging replies here! I think that many posters on this forum have forgotten that trumpet can be a lot of fun. Here are some positive considerations for you:

- Go with a reputable brand. American-made brands like Bach and Getzen make magnificent instruments that anyone would be thrilled to play. I play Yamaha and also can enthusiastically recommend their products.

- Remember that kids (and many adults) won't play an instrument that looks awful. Many posters on this forum recommend buying some used instrument from eBay or whatever that sounds great but looks like it's been through a war. No! Kids will not want to play that. Spend the money and buy a nice shiny horn that your brother will be proud to take out of the case and show off. It matters!

- Buying from a reputable music store means that you'll pay a couple bucks more for your horn than you'd find on eBay. But there are so many benefits! First, if anything is wrong with the instrument your local store will stand by their product (just try that on eBay or Craigslist). Also, your local music store can point you in the right direction re: teachers, other equipment and upgrades, and a whole lot more. Pay a couple extra bucks and support your local store and you'll be very pleasantly surprised how much they support you back, saving you a lot of money and aggravation in the long run.

- If there are no local music stores in your area, I'm sorry to hear that. But there are a number of trusted mail-order music stores that can hook you up with great advice and a great horn at a good price. Check out Austin Custom Brass on this forum, they have done me a few solids over the years, and they are actual trumpet players that make sure to stock "cheaper" instruments for young players that actually play great.

- Finally, if none of the above is helpful, go get yourself a Getzen 300. You'll be supporting an American business and will be getting a bulletproof, quality product that your brother can actually make music on.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck! Make some great music and have fun!
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Getzen 400 trumpet Reply with quote

Hi Gwen, what a nice thing to do for your sibling. What is your price range?
My recommendation are the Getzen 400 or the Getzen 700 S trumpet. Both have 1st slide thumb ring and 3rd slide adjustable ring.
Talk to your band director or private instructor, they may know someone who wants to sell a gently used trumpet.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
So many discouraging replies here! I think that many posters on this forum have forgotten that trumpet can be a lot of fun. Here are some positive considerations for you:

- Go with a reputable brand. American-made brands like Bach and Getzen make magnificent instruments that anyone would be thrilled to play. I play Yamaha and also can enthusiastically recommend their products.

- Remember that kids (and many adults) won't play an instrument that looks awful. Many posters on this forum recommend buying some used instrument from eBay or whatever that sounds great but looks like it's been through a war. No! Kids will not want to play that. Spend the money and buy a nice shiny horn that your brother will be proud to take out of the case and show off. It matters!

- Buying from a reputable music store means that you'll pay a couple bucks more for your horn than you'd find on eBay. But there are so many benefits! First, if anything is wrong with the instrument your local store will stand by their product (just try that on eBay or Craigslist). Also, your local music store can point you in the right direction re: teachers, other equipment and upgrades, and a whole lot more. Pay a couple extra bucks and support your local store and you'll be very pleasantly surprised how much they support you back, saving you a lot of money and aggravation in the long run.

- If there are no local music stores in your area, I'm sorry to hear that. But there are a number of trusted mail-order music stores that can hook you up with great advice and a great horn at a good price. Check out Austin Custom Brass on this forum, they have done me a few solids over the years, and they are actual trumpet players that make sure to stock "cheaper" instruments for young players that actually play great.

- Finally, if none of the above is helpful, go get yourself a Getzen 300. You'll be supporting an American business and will be getting a bulletproof, quality product that your brother can actually make music on.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck! Make some great music and have fun!

+1. Specifically the first paragraph.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:

I really like this. I can still remember as if it were yesterday being in 4th grade, having played flutophone in 2nd and recorder in 3rd grades, so I could join the band. The cafeteria was all arranged with some of the most beautiful things I had ever seen, particularly those gleaming brass instruments. And even to this day, many decades later, I still love playing a well cared-for beautiful instrument. Of course now I appreciate beautiful sounding horns no matter what they look like, but I wonder if I would have been as attracted as a kid if they were not shiny. We do need to be aware of this.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Brothers horn Reply with quote

Haven't seen a response by the original poster. Wondering why is that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: