• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chad Lefkowitz-Brown?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrandonLuis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:05 am    Post subject: Chad Lefkowitz-Brown? Reply with quote

Has anyone else here been following Chad Lefkowitz-Brown (Chad LB)? He's an amazing young tenor player with chops that never end combined with a tasty, swinging style. A really mature style with total control and virtuosity.

He's got a string of YouTube recordings and a whole bunch of instructional videos, along with study materials for sale. He is all the rage with lots of my sax-playing friends, and I've bought and used some of his stuff as well. He also often plays with Chris Botti.

I'm not sure who the other guys on this virtual big-band recording are. Maybe you do. On these long, shelter-in-place days check him out!

Last edited by BrandonLuis on Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mindlink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Yes, been following him for about 3 years - amazing sax player! I bought one of his pdf's and it had a lot of cool and fun excercises! Highly recommended

www.kristoffereikrem.com
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw some of his YouTube videos a while back and bought some of his materials for practicing.

I've found in general that practicing material written by sax players often requires significant re-working in order to be suitable for trumpet practice. And I'm not just talking about range, transposing to more comfortable octaves, etc.

The fact of the matter is that sax players can practice their jazz patterns in super-long phrases in a way that trumpet players can't do without blowing out their chops. Or at least, I can't! So I always have to find ways to break up the patterns and exercises and write my own lines out that make them possible to work on the trumpet.

Practice materials written by trumpet players never have these issues!

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but anyway.

Anyway, Chad LB is a great player with some great instructional videos and practice materials, even if they will require some creative re-working for application to trumpet. Cheers!
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post seems out of place. Firstly, it's about a sax player. I have nothing against sax players, but this IS a trumpet forum, right? Also, wouldnt this be better suited to the Performers forum?

keith
BraeGrimes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
This post seems out of place. Firstly, it's about a sax player. I have nothing against sax players, but this IS a trumpet forum, right? Also, wouldnt this be better suited to the Performers forum?

keith

Well, said! What have we ever learned from saxophone players? Coltrane, Bird, Shorter, Dolphy, Brecker... all irrelevant to trumpet (well, except Alan Shorter and Randy Brecker).

*SARCASM*
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if he is any relation to the late Sol Lefkowitz, a trumpet player from NYC who move to Tampa, FL in the '80s with his wife, Bonnie (piano player).

Sol had a lovely old Calicchio 1S7 that I worked on.
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BraeGrimes wrote:
khedger wrote:

keith

Well, said! What have we ever learned from saxophone players? Coltrane, Bird, Shorter, Dolphy, Brecker... all irrelevant to trumpet (well, except Alan Shorter and Randy Brecker).

*SARCASM*

Your sarcasm is misplaced. I have nothing against saxophone players. I can (and do) read saxophone forums on the web to glean useful information about music. It just seems out of place though to have a forum dedicated to the trumpet with all kinds of TRUMPET categories and have a single post talking about a sax player. In the thousands of articles on Trumpet Herald, how many of them are about sax players????? And that was my point.

keith
ironrabbit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Chad LBs methods. So clear, organized, and fresh.

Last edited by ironrabbit on Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
dontiego

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late to the party, sorry. I came here from googling "Chad Lefkowitz-Brown equivalent for trumpet", so I'm glad this thread was on trumpetherald.com.

I've been watching Chad's videos, bought a couple pdfs and some text lessons. I'm all for taking in saxophone language, it's great. The range is a problem sometimes, the articulation techniques differ, obviously. I'm curious about who would provide this incredible level of technique, rigorous methodology and analytics, directed at trumpet players. Who's the trumpet Chad?
area51recording
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad LB, along with Bob Reynolds, Dave Pollack and Jay Metcalf, are some of my favorite "YouTube" sax guys......great players all.....
beagle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dontiego wrote:
Late to the party, sorry. I came here from googling "Chad Lefkowitz-Brown equivalent for trumpet", so I'm glad this thread was on trumpetherald.com.

I've been watching Chad's videos, bought a couple pdfs and some text lessons. I'm all for taking in saxophone language, it's great. The range is a problem sometimes, the articulation techniques differ, obviously. I'm curious about who would provide this incredible level of technique, rigorous methodology and analytics, directed at trumpet players. Who's the trumpet Chad?

The closest is perhaps Richie Vitale
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dontiego wrote:
Who's the trumpet Chad?
Check out Chase Sanborn's Youtube channel...so much great stuff there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: