• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

“Out of Nowhere” vs “Star Trek Theme” contrafact?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlejandroMaximus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:25 am    Post subject: “Out of Nowhere” vs “Star Trek Theme” contrafact? Reply with quote

I have neveR watched Star Trek: The New Generation, so I started it. S01E11 is “The Big Good-Bye,” an homage to film noir, especially Dashiell Hammett.

The song "Out of Nowhere", by Edward Heyman and Johnny Green, can be heard playing as Picard enters the holodeck for the first time as well as at the end of the holodeck scene.

The Star Trek Theme Song is a contrafact of "Out of Nowhere." In jazz, a contrafact is a musical composition consisting of a new melody overlaid on a familiar harmonic structure, that is when the backup combo plays the chords to "Out of Nowhere," the soloist can play the Star Trek theme.tweakbox appvalley https://vlc.onl/

Last edited by AlejandroMaximus on Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched the episode. Very cool!
Nice pick-up.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TH.
Awesome first post!
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: “Out of Nowhere” vs “Star Trek Theme” contrafact Reply with quote

AlejandroMaximus wrote:
I have neveR watched Star Trek: The New Generation, so I started it. S01E11 is “The Big Good-Bye,” an homage to film noir, especially Dashiell Hammett.

The song "Out of Nowhere", by Edward Heyman and Johnny Green, can be heard playing as Picard enters the holodeck for the first time as well as at the end of the holodeck scene.

The Star Trek Theme Song is a contrafact of "Out of Nowhere." In jazz, a contrafact is a musical composition consisting of a new melody overlaid on a familiar harmonic structure, that is when the backup combo plays the chords to "Out of Nowhere," the soloist can play the Star Trek theme.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=153350
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: