• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn E-Z Tone mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cornetamateur

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Conn E-Z Tone mouthpieces Reply with quote

Review of the Conn E-Z Tone mouthpiece

The Conn 4 mouthpiece and the Conn E-Z Tone mouthpiece feel like completely different mouthpieces to the trumpet / cornet player, but the truth is that they have exactly the same dimensions in most respects.

If you start with a Conn 4 mouthpiece, then change the rim contour and enlarge the throat from a #25 throat to a #19 throat, you will end up with a Conn E-Z Tone mouthpiece.

Through the following measurements and observations I discovered the main reason the two mouthpieces feel so completely different: Rim shape.

My Conn 4 short-shank cornet mouthpiece has the following approximate dimensions:

Outer diameter = 1.057”

Rim width = .220”

Throat = 0.150” = #25

Cup Depth = .420”

Total Length = 2.5”

My Conn E-Z Tone short-shank cornet mouthpiece has the following approximate dimensions:

Outer diameter = 1.057”

Rim width = .220”

Throat = 0.166” = #19

Cup Depth = .420”

Total Length = 2.5”

Then why do the Conn 4 and the Conn E-Z Tone feel so completely different to the player’s lips?
Although the Conn E-Z Tone and the Conn 4 have the same cup diameter and have the same rim width,
why does the Conn E-Z Tone feel like it has a larger cup diameter than the Conn 4 and a wider rim than the Conn 4?

According to the Conn Loyalist pages at

http://www.xs4all.nl/~cderksen/ConnMpcConny.html

and

http://www.xs4all.nl/~cderksen/ConnMpc-Conny-WNimage.html

the Connstellation 7C-W mouthpiece and Connstellation 7C-N mouthpieces are identical cup diameters but the 7C-W feels larger than the 7C-N because the inner bite of the rim has been removed for the 7C-W.

The Conn E-Z Tone mouthpiece feels like a larger diameter than the Conn 4 mouthpiece because the Conn E-Z Tone is essentially a Connstellation 7C-W rim (without bite) while the Conn 4 mouthpiece is essentially a Connstellation 7C-N rim (with bite).

That lack of bite on the inner edge of the rim on the Conn E-Z-Tone has another result:

Because of that lack of bite, making the cup diameter feel slightly larger, the lips fall slightly farther into the cup of Conn E-Z Tone than they would on a Conn 4, with the aperture of the player’s embouchure coming slightly closer to the throat of the mouthpiece than would happen with a Conn 4.
That makes the Conn E-Z Tone mouthpiece play as though it feels slightly shallower than the Conn 4, although my measurements indicate that the two mouthpieces are really the same cup depth and cup shape.

Also, the middle of the rim (which is also the high point of the rim) on the Conn E-Z Tone is flatter than the middle of the rim (which is also the high point of the rim) on the Conn 4.
That makes the rim of the Conn E-Z Tone feel much wider and much more comfortable than the Conn 4 rim, although they really have the same rim width.

As my embouchure has matured, I have felt that the Conn 4 mouthpiece has started to feel like it is too small a diameter for me.
And I wished that the cup was slightly shallower to make hitting Double High C’s a little easier.
And I wished that the throat was more open to compensate for the thin tone of my upstream embouchure.
And I wished that the rim was more comfortable.

As it turns out, the Conn E-Z Tone mouthpiece gives me all of those features, so the Conn E-Z Tone has become my favorite mouthpiece for my cornet.

My scales up to Double High C’s have become easier, more consistent, and sound better, than with any other mouthpiece I have tried.

The Conn E-Z Tone might have a reputation for being just a “student mouthpiece”, but I consider it to be one of the best mouthpieces I have ever tried.

Icing on the cake:

The “stair-step” design on the outside of the Conn E-Z Tone mouthpiece looks so “cool”,
and we trumpet / cornet players love to look “cool”.

PS - The short-shank version of the Conn E-Z Tone mouthpiece should be considered by any person looking for a short-shank mouthpiece to fit pre-1958 Conn cornets, a "feels a little bit larger and feels more comfortable" alternative to the short-shank Conn 4 mouthpiece.
Conn Loyalist says that the E-Z Tone cornet mouthpieces came in both 2-1/2" short-shank and 2-3/4" long-shank versions, so verify which length it is before you buy one.

PPS - The Conn E-Z Tone mouthpiece page at Conn Loyalist is at
http://www.xs4all.nl/~cderksen/ConnMpcEZTone.html

Last edited by cornetamateur on Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
cleanhead77@embarqmail
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy one ?? I thought they hadn't made those things for many years. As a trumpet broker, I have several EZ tone cornet mouthpieces that came with vintage Conn cornets, but I've never seen any NEW ones.
cornetamateur

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleanhead77@embarqmail wrote:
Buy one ?? I thought they hadn't made those things for many years. As a trumpet broker, I have several EZ tone cornet mouthpieces that came with vintage Conn cornets, but I've never seen any NEW ones.

They were made in the 1950's and 1960's.
They are no longer made.
There are some that are in mint condition, but they are not new.
I was referring to buying used ones from stores such as Dillons, from eBay, and from private individuals, such as members of Trumpet Herald.
I bought my E-Z Tones from such sources.

"Buy one ??"
Since you are a trumpet broker, haven't you seen people buy used vintage items?
For example, here is a great E-Z Tone trumpet mouthpiece that a person can buy on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140363567494&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

hansonsf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cornetamateur, A most interesting post. Thanks!

Gold Tone! COOOOOL!!!!

(I don't play this. It's just for show!)

Last edited by hansonsf on Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
cornetamateur

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hansonsf wrote:

Gold Tone! COOOOOL!!!!

I drool with envy over your cool mouthpiece

Conn's Gold Tone mouthpieces are described at
http://www.xs4all.nl/~cderksen/ConnMpcGold-Tone.html

Since the Conn Gold Tone was made before 1958,
it would also be a great short-shank cornet mouthpiece for vintage pre-1958 Conn cornets.

hansonsf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cornetamateur wrote:
Since the Conn Gold Tone was made before 1958, it would also be a great short-shank cornet mouthpiece for vintage pre-1958 Conn cornets.

Christine's site shows a production cut off date of 1941, but I have an ad for these from early 1942. I believe they made it until the company switched over to "war instruments" production that summer.

I'm a bit of a nut for old CONN stuff. Here it is with a NY Symph Spec and a Swingtone mute.

Love that E-Z tone. Thanks again! (Sorry for hijacking your thread. I'll stop now!)

Steve
cornetamateur

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hansonsf wrote:
cornetamateur wrote:
Since the Conn Gold Tone was made before 1958, it would also be a great short-shank cornet mouthpiece for vintage pre-1958 Conn cornets.

Christine's site shows a production cut off date of 1941, but I have an ad for these from early 1942. I believe they made it until the company switched over to "war instruments" production that summer.

I'm a bit of a nut for old CONN stuff. Here it is with a NY Symph Spec and a Swingtone mute.

Love that E-Z tone. Thanks again! (Sorry for hijacking your thread. I'll stop now!)

Steve

You have more Conn instruments listed at the end of your post than I have teeth!

You might be interested in the Conn Gold Tone ad for sale in eBay at
http://cgi.ebay.com/1939-C-G-CONN-New-Gold-Tone-Brass-Mouthpieces-Ad_W0QQitemZ350287495193QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBrass_Instruments?hash=item518ec30019

For anyone who wants to see a complete list of vintage Conn mouthpiece types made throughout the decades, Conn Loyalist lists them with links to individual articles at
http://www.xs4all.nl/~cderksen/ConnMouthpiece.html

Mr. Benge
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That mouthpiece, why does it have a little notch cut out in the inner rim?
hansonsf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Benge wrote:
That mouthpiece, why does it have a little notch cut out in the inner rim?

Ha! Looks like it, eh? It doesn't. It is the reflection of the other side of the rim on itself. It's an optical illusion, sort of like the bell of Bill Chase's Schilke really isn't coming out of his eye as it appears on the cover of Pure Music.
http://www.kneeling.co.uk/pages/misc/puremusic.asp

update:

Well, I bought it. eBay E-Z Tone Spent a bit more than I should have for a student mp (these came with the very first Directors) but it looks to be in pretty good shape, so what the heck! Some crazy guy paid $104 for a CONN 4 last week!

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=92608&highlight=
Bill W
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An E-Z-TONE came up for sale on EBay and, having read this very interesting thread, I invested a few bucks and I am more than pleasantly surprised. A very comfortable rim with a deep bowl cup and a large throat. Almost sounds like I'm describing a Monette (Hmm)> It is very secure , for me, through G above High C, unusual for such a deep mouthpiece. Also, notes that I sometimes struggle to center well, Middle E & G, are right smack in the middle. I can see why these get snatched up when they show up in good shape. and, yes, it does look cool. Very "Decco"
1962 Quesnon Flugel
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iMEHat1PXV0 Playing Maynard's "Hey There"
ThatDude
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we sure thereā€™s both a 2.75ā€¯ and 2.5ā€¯ cornet version of this mouthpiece? I see no mention of it outside of this thread
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: