• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sight Reading Gag

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay Lichtmann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Sight Reading Gag Reply with quote

https://tinyurl.com/yymgd59e

Going through some old files I stumbled across this bit of sight reading I devised as a quasi-gag for incoming freshman at their entrance audition.

Before the unsuspecting students attempted to play it I would tell them, "technically this is not sight reading, you've played this piece hundreds of times."

They would then attempt to play it and most often screw it up; this was totally understandable as the snippet really does not make any musical sense.

After they tried playing it I would casually walk over to them and turn the sheet of music upside down.
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very clever, Jay!

And I'd like to thank you for all the resources you've made available over the years...

Cheers!

Ben
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great! They would not notice the clefs and the signature key on the wrong side?
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar experience in a Performance Practices class in college. The professor handed out an unmarked piece of music that consisted of 16 bars of single quarter and half notes. There were no stems but based on the bar lines one could assume quarter and half notes. No clef, no stems, just a string of single notes with bar lines. Sitting in the back of the class, I was the last one to get a copy and of course he called on me first to offer my analysis. I spurted out the first thing that came to mind: "Well, the accompaniment's pretty thin". The class broke up, I was on his sh*tlist for the rest of the semester and the piece turned out to be "America the Beautiful" upside down. Higher education at its finest.
MBMinSC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
I was on his sh*tlist for the rest of the semester and the piece turned out to be "America the Beautiful" upside down. Higher education at its finest.

One time in HS orchestra practice, the director told me I was going too slow. I told him he was going too fast. That didn't work out well for me
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: