• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Accidental note flutter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
honey44

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Accidental note flutter Reply with quote

I just got my braces off and I have been slowly adjusting using lower long tones and low to mid range lip slurs. I have a new problem where I attack a note and then it makes a flutter-like sound. I have this problem specifically with notes in the F to B on the staff. Does anyone know how to fix this or any exercises to help it? Thanks!
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post video to Youtube, audio to SoundCloud or Google Drive or wherever. What you're talking about is meaningless until someone can hear it.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
darksmoke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your body can subconsciously adapt and fix many issues by itself without you having to invest too much time into deep thought. Don't overthink this one as it's almost certainly due to your recent braces change- so likely either related to the airflow or your embouchure, possibly both. I would recommend just giving it some natural time to smooth itself out as you go along with the week and through your daily routine/ warm-up. Build up to where you want to be.

I've known a lot of people who've had braces and they always felt more comfortable, after re-adjusting of course, when they were off. Like taking a small pair of training wheels off. That said, a video would indeed be helpful if someone could listen to it and give you their experienced synopsis.

Some possible things to be mindful of that may or may not help you with your specific issue here of flutter (tongue)-like sound in that low-mid range:
-Tongue position
-Teeth spacing
-Firm mouth corners, strong embouchure (use of surrounding facial muscles)
-Horn angle (air stream & delivery)
-Pressure (minimal)
-Callet SC6
shermantrumpet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know Darksmoke, but that's exactly the advice I'd give (and have given to many students).

I went through braces as a professional adult player. Some very basic exercises helped a lot. Tons of lip slurs and long tones.

Very, very soft playing may also help your lips adjust to the new conditions.

It will take time, but your embouchure will adjust.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: