• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Local teacher or Online Instructor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JensenW

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Local teacher or Online Instructor Reply with quote

I am considering getting a private teacher to help with my comeback playing. i went down to the local Music and Arts to enquirer about brass teachers. The man at the store told me that they are only offering lessons online, and here in North Carolina, who knows when that might change.

That got me to thinking, if it is a Zoom affair, the advantages of a local instructor goes out the window, and maybe I should try instead to get instruction from someone...how to day this...more qualified? That is not necessarily the right word, I understand. Its just that there may be better teachers out there, who are in, oh say, L.A., or New York, who might be just right for me.

Indeed, the idea that one can get instruction from the very best should be of concern to a lot of perhaps average teachers.

Thoughts?

The goal is to be a better trumpeter today than I was yesterday.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Local universities Reply with quote

Wade. You live in the golden triangle with many universities nearby. My recommendation is to contact college instructors to see if they offer online classes. The level of instruction may be at a higher level and would help the local economy.
JensenW

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jondrowjf, A good idea I had not thought of. College teachers would be more used to coaching accomplished players as opposed to a guy who has to restart on Rubank Elementary Method. On the other hand, at 68, I have a better practice ethic than a child. And I believe that one teaches oneself music, the instructor acts as coach, and someone to whom one is accountable. It's too easy to let it slip when you are just doing it alone.

jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: On my own Reply with quote

Wade
Never know until you try. Think you are being very humble. Tell me how it works out.
I haven't had a lesson since March, but I do practice a few times a day.
Bought two professional trumpets since May. One I received last Saturday and in June I bought a student cornet.
Got such good deals on the trumpet, I couldn't pass them up. Have been putting both trumpets through their paces. Decided to keep my recent purchase and sell the other one.
Very happy with finally owning a professional trumpet.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not try local professionals and see if they teach AND do so in person? Unless you are in lockdown, you can go out...

If you are really going down the online route, the WORLD is available, bit just a few cities...

Cheers

Andy

Last edited by Andy Del on Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To some extent, I was not a comeback player, as I had never truly stopped playing. I had, however, stopped getting any better. I decided to take some lessons.

I initially had in-person lessons from a retired pro player that I had known as a youngster, and it went well. We got along nicely, and I was happy with my progress; however, he was killed in a car accident. I now take lessons from Jeff Purtle via FaceTime. Those lessons are going well, and, like my earlier in-person lessons, I'm pleased with my progress. I very much enjoy not having to drive 90 minutes each way to the in-person lessons.

Take care,
Marc Speed
MarkFoster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for me, both the first and the second are not very good options. To learn something, I first of all turn to the site https://uk.edubirdie.com/literature-review-dissertation to get good material, learn it, and pass it for the maximum score. It also saves a lot of free time, so you can use it.

Last edited by MarkFoster on Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
supercow216

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkFoster wrote:
For me local teacher is much better.

I was skeptical with online teacher initial but my experience is quite good.

I am in my 30s, in my 3rd year of playing, range up to high (and thin) E. I took local lessons for 2 years and online (w a different teacher) for 6 months. We managed well with half an hour session per week.

The best thing is that I can warm up a bit before the lesson. My playing usually suffers if I sit too much right before playing (e.g. driving, or working w computer). Also after the lesson, I can continue playing while the words are still hot.

You will need to have decent record equipment since tone quality would be the main source of diagnosis.

Just as local teachers, there will be hit and miss. Some focus only breath support, others insists embouchure changes. So check the reviews or take tasters.

I am still learning!
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done both. I like the local teacher in person better, but there are advantages and disadvantages both ways.
Online, you can perhaps get access to specialized expertise that you might not get locally. If you are interested in something specific and not so common (a style, etc., or in my case natural trumpet), you can sometimes get pinpoint help online. That is an important consideration.
For general instruction or I would say continuing instruction there are advantages that a local teacher has in being able to observe you more closely than even the best webcam is going to allow an online teacher to do.
You will need to have good rapport with any teacher, sometimes this is easier to develop in person, but you can also become close to an online teacher too.
I would explore both and find someone you are compatible with who can help you move forward toward playing the type of music you want to play.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
JensenW

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
I have done both. I like the local teacher in person better, but there are advantages and disadvantages both ways.
Online, you can perhaps get access to specialized expertise that you might not get locally. If you are interested in something specific and not so common (a style, etc., or in my case natural trumpet), you can sometimes get pinpoint help online. That is an important consideration.
For general instruction or I would say continuing instruction there are advantages that a local teacher has in being able to observe you more closely than even the best webcam is going to allow an online teacher to do.
You will need to have good rapport with any teacher, sometimes this is easier to develop in person, but you can also become close to an online teacher too.
I would explore both and find someone you are compatible with who can help you move forward toward playing the type of music you want to play.

I appreciate the differences-in normal times. These are not normal times, and I am beginning to wonder if we will ever see "normal" again. As I mentioned, even local instruction is online, which begs the question: If instruction is online anyway, does it matter that the instructor is local?

I have received several private messages offering instruction with teachers, of which I am considering each.

Matt Graves
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JensenW:

If you are near an excellent teacher, I would certainly go in person if both parties are willing, taking precautions of course.

There are also many excellent teachers using live video.
Claude Gordon Certified Teacher
BAC Custom Dream Trumpet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: