• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to get into Jazz keys?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrandonLuis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: How to get into Jazz keys? Reply with quote

Hey guys. I’ve recently have been interested in learning keys for a band. What steps and programs should I do to get comfortable on the keyboard? I’ve tried learning autumn leaves and other jazz standards. Is that the best route to getting a good library of sets?

Last edited by BrandonLuis on Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/matt.bokulic/posts/3782579715085337
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Jazz keys Reply with quote

People in the early days when Charlie Parker had become quite famous always wanted to "sit in" with the great Bird. Parker never said no to anybody and when these people got on the bandstand invariably Bird would ask "what do you want to play Baby?" Most times they would want to show off with "Cherokee" as Bird had made this a jazz standard. Bird would always say, "I'll start and play a few choruses and then you can blow". Bird would start in the key he normally played the tune in and every chorus he would go up a half step for a full chorus finishing in the original key. BY this time the poor sap would be packing up his horn and exiting the bandstand.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Jazz keys Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
People in the early days when Charlie Parker had become quite famous always wanted to "sit in" with the great Bird. Parker never said no to anybody and when these people got on the bandstand invariably Bird would ask "what do you want to play Baby?" Most times they would want to show off with "Cherokee" as Bird had made this a jazz standard. Bird would always say, "I'll start and play a few choruses and then you can blow". Bird would start in the key he normally played the tune in and every chorus he would go up a half step for a full chorus finishing in the original key. BY this time the poor sap would be packing up his horn and exiting the bandstand.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

I saw the great George Coleman pull this trick one night. The band was Coleman, Kenny Barron, Cecil McBee and Billy Cobham. They were playing something really fast, it might have even been 'Cherokee'. Anyway, Coleman starts soloing like the monster that he is, and about the third chorus he starts modulating, and he's playing these really nice ii-V things to set up the modulations. At one point I looked at Kenny Barron and he was just laughing and shaking his head. Jazz magic.....

keith
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: How to get into Jazz keys? Reply with quote

BrandonLuis wrote:
Hey guys. I’ve recently have been interested in learning keys for a band. What steps and programs should I do to get comfortable on the keyboard? I’ve tried learning autumn leaves and other jazz standards. Is that the best route to getting a good library of sets?

Just to clarify, the OP is trying to learn jazz piano. From some of the early responses, I think some thought he was talking about playing in other key signatures.

My primary instrument is trumpet. I also play jazz piano. I play in a jazz trio, with regular gigs on both trumpet and piano.

I had the obligatory 4 semesters of piano back in college. After that, I played in a number of rock bands on piano, but didn't play much after that. About 5 years ago, I decided I wanted to learn jazz piano. I was already very comfortable with the jazz repertoire and with improvisation on the trumpet, and I also had some basic keyboard skills under my belt (although they were pretty rusty).

What you're doing is reasonable. Identify a set of jazz standards, and learn them on the piano. If you don't already know them, it might also help to learn jazz piano voicings and playing styles. If you're looking for a book to help with this, the following are some suggestions.

The most helpful book I've used is Jerry Coker's "Jazz Keyboard for Pianists and Non-Pianists". It will cover basic jazz voicing and playing styles. It does not cover keyboard skills or improvisation.

Jamey Aebersold's "Jamey Aebersold Jazz, Volume 1: Jazz Piano" Book is a nice hands-on choice. It's basically volume 1 of the Jamey Aebersold play-along series, with a lot of piano-specific content added.

There are other good books out there, PM me or reply here if you're looking for something different.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Frank Bronte

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ty!!! nice tips
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: