• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Raw Brass Cases?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Raw Brass Cases? Reply with quote

Hi,

Anyone using Raw Brass cases? https://rawbrass.com/ Opinions? If you've got one is it the Max or the Junior?

Thanks in advance,

Matt
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prices are certainly eye opening.
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but if they're durable enough to last 10 years I don't mind paying that much. I've been through a string of cases from other companies that only lasted a few years.
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Pelican 1600 case that I designed my own custom insert using https://mycasebuilder.com. It was great for flying, especially overseas; but for an everyday case I think it would be a pain. I've had great luck with my Marcus Bonna quad. However, for road work, the Pelican-based cases are great (especially if you have a roadie )

HTH

Ben

Last edited by benlewis on Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't travel much so my cases last basically forever. Also I am on a limited budget due to being between gigs and nearing retirement.

But a good case that works well is great.

One thing to keep in mind is that having a strong shell is only part of what makes a good case that protects your instruments. If the instrument isn't supported properly and the case drops a significant distance the inertia can do things like bend the bell when the rest of the horn stops but the unsupported bell doesn't.

I am in no way implying that these cases don't support just passing on some tips.

Asking for people's experience is wise too.
BraeGrimes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, they're Pelican cases with adjustable inserts. Pelican cases are damn-near indestructible, though - easily last 10+ years. BUT, I will say that a good case is only as good as the fit of the horn. The case can be made of adamantium for all I care, but if the horn(s) flops around inside, it's basically worthless.

FWIW, it's the reason I think BAM, Torpedo, and Wiseman are good cases. Sure, if you plan on running over those with a car, probably not going to do as well as a Raw Brass (maybe with the exception of the Torpedo, I've heard stories about them being magic). But if it's going under a plane or tour bus, I'd probably want the horns to stay securely in place.
DrewB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Raw Brass Cases Reply with quote

I bought one of the Junior cases used last February. Packed correctly they are very protective of the horns. My criteria for the case was that it had to be sturdy, have wheels, fit both my trumpet and Flugelhorn and be small enough to fit in an overhead bin on a plane. Check on all counts. Love it, would buy another in a heartbeat. The only comparable case I found was from Wiseman and was $2200 more.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a max, and to be honest, it’s just a pelican case with some padding plopped inside. Nothing to get worked up over and at the bell end, rather thin padding at that. It’s protective, but if it fell out of a plane hold to the tarmac, I suspect there would be considerable damage.

The safest case is the one in your hands and away from other people!

Cheers

Andy
Eric Ball
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the smaller one..have had it 6 or so years..over 100 flights of checking in under and gate checking without a single issue. Both cases are worth the money. It's far more likely that the airline loses your case than something happening to the contents.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Ball wrote:
I have the smaller one..have had it 6 or so years..over 100 flights of checking in under and gate checking without a single issue. Both cases are worth the money. It's far more likely that the airline loses your case than something happening to the contents.

A equally large danger is some TSA person taking your horn out of the case and not repacking it properly. Then it doesn't matter how nice your case is. (also when they lose it)
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have heard that the TSA on occasion takes a horn out of its case, even take parts off, then puts them back in the case the wrong way with the loose pieces banging around. I'd be especially worried about a case that required care with moveable inserts.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I also have heard that the TSA on occasion takes a horn out of its case, even take parts off, then puts them back in the case the wrong way with the loose pieces banging around. I'd be especially worried about a case that required care with moveable inserts.

There is not much one can do with a checked bag and TSA, but if it is a carry on one should watch them inspect and restore the horn to the case. If it looks like any damage will happen when the case is closed attempt to discuss with the agent that you would like to do it yourself.

And if you even suspect your carry on was searched by TSA, open the case and inspect the contents when you get to your gate.
Eric Ball
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, anything could happen ... I've never have my case lost or repacked incorrectly by TSA. Most protective and dummy proof case I have ever had.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: