• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Remembering Al Hirt

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JensenW

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Remembering Al Hirt Reply with quote

I had several LPs (Long Play Albums for those younger readers) of Al Hirt when I was a kid. Needless to say, I was a fan. I ran across this on recording on youtube. Mr. Hirt didn't have time to use techniques such as vibrato, he was moving so fast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC1aJrQ0Y2c

The goal is to be a better trumpeter today than I was yesterday.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Remembering Al Hirt Reply with quote

I had three albums and tried wearing them out I suppose they still reside with one of my brothers as they have all the old LPs. Quite a showman and always having fun playing. My mom and dad loved him too, as he used to appear on the late night talk shows quite a bit. Great memories, sir!!
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al was the first well known trumpeter I heard in person. I saw him in 71 after my freshman year in high school at Oakdale Theater in Wallingford Ct. It was a tented outdoor type place. Pure jazz people may criticize his playing but he was a fabulous trumpeter. He had a great sense of humor as well.
What a display of fabulous technique and his power was amazing. He frequently played off the mic and I could hear him as clear as a bell. He also played The Carnival Of Venice unaccompanied.
I remember running out to the hallway to meet him as he was walking back to his dressing room for intermission. I got nervous and my voice cracked as I called out his name. My lifelong best friend was with me and always busted my chops about that. Al walked over and said, hey, how ya doin in that NOLA drawl. He stuck his hand out and shook my hand. His hands were like a catchers mitt. He was an enormous man, easy to see how he got the nickname Jumbo. I never forgot that. A very cool guy.
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An album not really praised or mentioned much, being more of a 1968 pop release, seems pretty underrated..in light of 1) as nice an overall sound as the instrument allows 2) vibrato of tight width (opposite HJ) done flawlessly 3) lyrical type of phrasing that in all liklihood can't be taught.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diVlUk8kt2I

Last edited by rothman on Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
JensenW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothman, good comments. I never had that particular album, but yes it is very lyrical, and yes, the vibrato is subtle, and flawlessly executed. Not sure if it is a tuba or a euphonium in the bass line, but the other instruments add to the overall piece as well. Overall, a very nice recording. Thanks!

The goal is to be a better trumpeter today than I was yesterday.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rothman wrote:
An album not really praised or mentioned much, being more of a 1968 pop release, seems pretty underrated..in light of 1) as nice an overall sound as the instrument allows 2) vibrato of tight width (opposite HJ) done flawlessly 3) lyrical type of phrasing that in all liklihood can't be taught.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diVlUk8kt2I

Nice.

Numerous copies available on eBay.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have most of his lp albums. He was and still is a big favorite of mine. I, too, was fortunate enough to meet him at his club in New Orleans. Very friendly and a huge pair of hands that made my hand disappear when we shook.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:

Numerous copies available on eBay.

Found one.. Unfortunately back then most men treated themselves to bottles of Brut cologne aftershave, so a search dog could find this jacket from 10 miles away.

Al is toned down in the mix, but thankfully not every track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4KI47WDN0Q
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m fuzzy on the dates but sometime in the mid 70s my college big band played some something at the then-new New Orleans Convention Center. We were provided a room downstairs to have a full band warmup-rehearsal which sounded good to us kids.

In the next room was a trumpet player warming up while we were rehearsing. After a few minutes of typical warmup stuff he plays an A above high C that was the biggest, loudest thing I’d ever heard. And in those days Maynard was everywhere, and I’d seen Doc, and whoever was in Woody’s band at the time and been to a Kenton summer clinic. This A was voice-of-god phenomenal.

After we finished our rehearsal I walked (ran) over to the next room to find Al Hirt just doing trumpet player stuff at such a high level I will never forget.

In some ways the stuff he did on stage was maybe 60% of what he was about.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Hirt did a wonderful and wonderfully unique arrangement of Carnival of Venice on the album "Pops Goes the Trumpet" with Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops. Very playful, the variations are unique, and the Pops goes through several styles of accompaniment, from a march to an homage to Barber of Seville. It would be a great piece for a talented college band but I've never seen anyone else play this variant of Venice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPEjdd_CKho
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB trumpet
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOlds wrote:
I’m fuzzy on the dates but sometime in the mid 70s my college big band played some something at the then-new New Orleans Convention Center. We were provided a room downstairs to have a full band warmup-rehearsal which sounded good to us kids.

In the next room was a trumpet player warming up while we were rehearsing. After a few minutes of typical warmup stuff he plays an A above high C that was the biggest, loudest thing I’d ever heard. And in those days Maynard was everywhere, and I’d seen Doc, and whoever was in Woody’s band at the time and been to a Kenton summer clinic. This A was voice-of-god phenomenal.

After we finished our rehearsal I walked (ran) over to the next room to find Al Hirt just doing trumpet player stuff at such a high level I will never forget.

In some ways the stuff he did on stage was maybe 60% of what he was about.

Great story!

Jeff
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 45 rpm copy of "Java" when I was in 6th grade or so and learned it by ear. (Flip side was "I Can't Get Started") My parents would have me play along with the recording when friends came over. Older bro and I did likewise with all the Herb Alpert/TJB stuff.

We didn't need no steenkin' music...
so what
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Remembering Al Hirt Reply with quote

JensenW wrote:
I had several LPs (Long Play Albums for those younger readers) of Al Hirt when I was a kid. Needless to say, I was a fan. I ran across this on recording on youtube. Mr. Hirt didn't have time to use techniques such as vibrato, he was moving so fast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC1aJrQ0Y2c

Years ago, I put one of Al's records on the table and was truly amazed at how fast and high he was playing. Wow !!!

When the singers came in and sounded like chipmunks, I figured out that I was spinning at 45. Turned out, it sounded great at 33, too.
marathoner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growing up in Suburban Chicago I listened to Al Hirt albums all the time. One thing that struck me though (while I was in High School) was reading a review on one of Al Hirt's albums by a Chicago Sun Times (now defunct) "Arts" columnist. He wrote "Any high school trumpet player with a decent embouchure is able to do any of these songs". I think he hated the album and I remember thinking , "I'm decent" but I can't come close to anything he did ! Sounded like a personal vendetta !
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marathoner wrote:
Growing up in Suburban Chicago I listened to Al Hirt albums all the time. One thing that struck me though (while I was in High School) was reading a review on one of Al Hirt's albums by a Chicago Sun Times (now defunct) "Arts" columnist. He wrote "Any high school trumpet player with a decent embouchure is able to do any of these songs". I think he hated the album and I remember thinking , "I'm decent" but I can't come close to anything he did ! Sounded like a personal vendetta !

Yeah, well critics, whatever.

I read an utterly tone-deaf review of Horn A Plenty by a guy who I gather is a well-known critic who obviously isn't any kind of musician himself - the magic of that album is completely lost on him. One of the things he whines about is the length of the tracks - he thought they were short. As far as I'm concerned the track lengths are fine - it's not an album of jazz standards where everyone takes a solo, they're popular and show tunes. Everything about it is superb - the arrangements, the top-notch session players, the engineering and of course Al's amazing playing.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in New Orleans and surrounding suburbs and remember listening to Al Hirt since the debut of Java. It was played on the local radio stations at least once per hour. This was about the time I started playing trumpet. His larger than life sound and ability had a considerable influence in why I chose to play trumpet. I agree with all the comments mentioned above. His sound was a big as he was. The press down here did not undermine his playing ability. Big Al, Pete Fountain, and Louis were considered legends by most music lovers in the area. I remember listening to Al while many friends were listening to hard rock. I just could not get into the hard rock. Playing trumpet in middle and high school, if I had came across the album “Horn a Plenty”, I probably would have just quit playing. I can still remember him playing the Green Hornet theme. The first time I heard it on TV, I knew it was Al Hirt playing. I had most of his albums, even a country album. I believe Chet Atkins encouraged Al to record this album. One challenging track is the Orange Blossum Special, link below.
Ron

https://youtu.be/R6-vhXA--h0
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnman wrote:
One challenging track is the Orange Blossum Special, link below.
Ron

https://youtu.be/R6-vhXA--h0

Excellent - do you know what year this was recorded?
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P - either 1969 or 1970.
Ron
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: Al Hirt Reply with quote

Concerning "Jumbo", the guy was on another level from most players. RCA did to him what major labels always seem to do and that is lower his amazing talent down to a pedestrian level. I'm sure he didn't mind the loot tunes like "Java" brought in but to diminish his talent like some of the reviews written, well what can you say about critics that most knowledgable musicians don't already know?

There was a Spa-hotel here in Las Vegas some time ago (mid-seventies) and a guy hired a big band to play for entertainment and dancing. I was hired to play lead along with two other good players who have worked together with me. The book was written with four trumpet parts and I asked who was hired to play the fourth book. "Not to worry" was the answer. When we all were on the stand getting ready to start who shows up but Al Hirt. I introduced myself and Al just said he was there to play fourth trumpet. "Like Hell" I said and persuaded him to play whatever solos were in the book. His son was with him and I showed him my "famous" drinking mute. When his son showed it to Al I was proud to present one to him. Why the guy had hired Al Hirt in the first place was always a mystery to me, and on fourth trumpet.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Al Hirt Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
Concerning "Jumbo", the guy was on another level from most players. RCA did to him what major labels always seem to do and that is lower his amazing talent down to a pedestrian level.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

Read this again and again, this is so true.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: