• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Review: Taylor Modified Phat Boy Fluegel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Review: Taylor Modified Phat Boy Fluegel Reply with quote

Photoshoot of my horn here, feat. the modification:
https://www.facebook.com/TaylorTrumpets/posts/10158137482979702?__tn__=-R

Product page from website, but the site is nearly as old as Andy, not ideal: http://www.taylortrumpets.com/phatboy_flugelhorn.html

Everyone's going to sound different on every horn. If you want to hear this one at its best, look for Bryan Corbett videos on Taylor fluegels.

Use case: one more piece of jop and pazz ambience, as a wine bar encourages people to re-emerge from our cocoons responsibly and get on with living as safely as possible.

I've had the horn for two weeks and I'm pleased with it: the tone I get is warm and dark without being trombone-squishy. Intonation is alarmingly good (keep reading). The slots are big all the way to the G atop the staff. Valves are amazing (Bauerfeind heavy I think) and the overall construction is tank-solid.

Andy declined to provide tech specs so unscientifically I can tell you it's massively thirsty and Heavy As Hell(tm). I have never held a fluegel this heavy. For my needs this is a feature, not a bug, but YMMV. And yeah, it takes a ton of air. You can push and push and push the snot out of it and it still sounds like a fluegel. This copper beast will hold its shape. The downside is that playing at low volumes, where I want to be, really forces you to up your game--I'm not close to where I want to be yet, especially with the mated mouthpiece. Practice, then. Nobody's said I'm too loud yet.

That's this horn's blessing and curse: it promises immense rewards if you want to focus on it and treat it as the unique animal it is. As a doubling instrument, it has to be an inefficient choice both literally and practically for all but the best players. As a day-job working mathematician I'd like to spend even more time on it but I'm giving what I can.

Andy is great to deal with and the whole process took ten weeks, including a shop first: modifying the trigger to be fired by the right thumb. Yes, I can justify the high cost of stepping up from a very good red brass Carol just to get this feature, but I'm a little surprised how little I need to use it. I wonder, as I practice, how much I'll eventually need it at all. Right now I'm already using it for shaky jumps into the bass clef only. The overall intonation is really good, and my electronic tuner affirms that the horn is well in tune with itself.

In the wild, the trigger repositioning has gone un-noticed. Twice I've been told I was lucky to get something modelled just for me, and twice I agreed--but both times they went on to refer to the rounded shaping where my left hand rests. AFAIK that's just the typical Phat Boy dimension. So the trigger must look like it fits in.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really cool--how hard is to do the slide exclusively with right hand? May lead to some creative future designs...
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
how hard is to do the slide exclusively with right hand?

The old Yamaha "Maestro" model cornet mounted the first-valve trigger offset to the side of the valve block in the same way - most players still used the left thumb for it, though, and that worked just fine.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same with the Olds Mendez trigger.
Beautiful flügel BTW that Fat Boy. Great design. If it plays like it looks you've got something very special.
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
Looks really cool--how hard is to do the slide exclusively with right hand? May lead to some creative future designs...

Well it's not too hard for me, but my left side checked out in my teens (yeah I'm a lefty) and I'm 47 by now. So I've literally had decades to get my act together. I find it very intuitive, but I'm the wrong one to ask.

As TKSop and delano point out there are non-standard layouts out there.

Andy worked this from scratch. My original thought was to run something for the right pinky and he was adamant this was better--of course I deferred, and I'm glad I did.

OTOH, I'm now in line for an Inderbinen Basso. Thomas Inderbinen proposed a similar design with a nonchalance that suggests he's already knocked out a dozen of them.

As the population ages there is going to be a market for these kinds of adapted horns. People are going to be having strokes and other paralyses. Also, as we age, we tend to have more money to take chances on customised instruments.
Trollet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Review: Taylor Modified Phat Boy Fluegel Reply with quote

Shawnino wrote:
Photoshoot of my horn here, feat. the modification:
https://www.facebook.com/TaylorTrumpets/posts/10158137482979702?__tn__=-R

Product page from website, but the site is nearly as old as Andy, not ideal: http://www.taylortrumpets.com/phatboy_flugelhorn.html

Everyone's going to sound different on every horn. If you want to hear this one at its best, look for Bryan Corbett videos on Taylor fluegels.

Use case: one more piece of jop and pazz ambience, as a wine bar encourages people to re-emerge from our cocoons responsibly and get on with living as safely as possible.

I've had the horn for two weeks and I'm pleased with it: the tone I get is warm and dark without being trombone-squishy. Intonation is alarmingly good (keep reading). The slots are big all the way to the G atop the staff. Valves are amazing (Bauerfeind heavy I think) and the overall construction is tank-solid.

Andy declined to provide tech specs so unscientifically I can tell you it's massively thirsty and Heavy As Hell(tm). I have never held a fluegel this heavy. For my needs this is a feature, not a bug, but YMMV. And yeah, it takes a ton of air. You can push and push and push the snot out of it and it still sounds like a fluegel. This copper beast will hold its shape. The downside is that playing at low volumes, where I want to be, really forces you to up your game--I'm not close to where I want to be yet, especially with the mated mouthpiece. Practice, then. Nobody's said I'm too loud yet.

That's this horn's blessing and curse: it promises immense rewards if you want to focus on it and treat it as the unique animal it is. As a doubling instrument, it has to be an inefficient choice both literally and practically for all but the best players. As a day-job working mathematician I'd like to spend even more time on it but I'm giving what I can.

Andy is great to deal with and the whole process took ten weeks, including a shop first: modifying the trigger to be fired by the right thumb. Yes, I can justify the high cost of stepping up from a very good red brass Carol just to get this feature, but I'm a little surprised how little I need to use it. I wonder, as I practice, how much I'll eventually need it at all. Right now I'm already using it for shaky jumps into the bass clef only. The overall intonation is really good, and my electronic tuner affirms that the horn is well in tune with itself.

In the wild, the trigger repositioning has gone un-noticed. Twice I've been told I was lucky to get something modelled just for me, and twice I agreed--but both times they went on to refer to the rounded shaping where my left hand rests. AFAIK that's just the typical Phat Boy dimension. So the trigger must look like it fits in.

Would you call the horn unresponsive? Currently looking at buying a high end flugel, and the phatboy is on my list
Mpcs:
GR 64SZ* - and a bunch more
Bach 7FL
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one heck of a horn, absolutely beautiful. The trigger wouldn't have caught my eye if you hadn't mentioned it.

My 1990's Bach Strad 37 has a rare factory 1st valve trigger also on the right hand side. As little as it's needed I find I'll use either thumb.

It's great you won't let a physical issue stop you from just getting along with things, some day I'll maybe post about my challenges. I suppose, unless you're lucky, any one with a few years on them will have some obstacles to overcome. I've got a couple of great Docs that are working with me when others have said it's time to give it up.

Back to that great horn, impressive! You got me to check my IRA to see if a call is in order...
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool horn. I have a Taylor Standard. I do not know how the weight compares to the Phatboy, but it is also pretty heavy. Carrying the weight is also rewarded with a wonderful sound.
Enjoy your horn.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@trollet: the word 'unresponsive' has a negative connotation to it on its own, but kind of, yeah. It is less responsive than other fluegels I have played. It is just so heavy. I like the sound palette so much that it's a trade-off I'm more than willing to make.

That said, I don't know how much of that comes down to the horn and how much to my skill level. I can play it soft. Bryan Corbett can play it soft and really fast. Corbett is a good player. Me, not so much.

Bill Colletti has some videos on it too, including A/Bs and A/B/Cs with v. Laars and Carols. Colletti posts here occasionally. He is also a good player. Me, I repeat, not so much.

I also haven't found the all-around mouthpiece for it yet, and ave come to the conclusion that I never might. Most of the time the mp I ordered with the horn is on it (Taylor ML...second-cousin twice-removed to a 1.5). It's been six months and I'm still enjoying playing it every day.
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ECLtmpt2: As the population ages and we find more older people with more disposable income, there's going to be a growing market for Accessible Everything. This will extend to musical instruments with modified instruments and playing aids. It's well underway with https://www.ergobrass.com/

I am naturally impatient, so I want my own solutions now. But we are lucky in that some are coming now, and some will come soon.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawnino wrote:

Bill Colletti has some videos on it too, including A/Bs and A/B/Cs with v. Laars and Carols. Colletti posts here occasionally. He is also a good player. Me, I repeat, not so much.

I also haven't found the all-around mouthpiece for it yet, and ave come to the conclusion that I never might. Most of the time the mp I ordered with the horn is on it (Taylor ML...second-cousin twice-removed to a 1.5). It's been six months and I'm still enjoying playing it every day.

When I was researching and playing a lot of flugelhorns before I got my Taylor Standard, I found Bill Colletti's reviews very useful. I especially liked his one comparing the Phat Boy and the Standard (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmOAjFykyHs).
I also went through some mouthpieces looking for the right one for my Taylor Standard. Since my trumpet mouthpiece is generally a 1.5 C I started with a Bach 1.5 C, but did not like it, very lightweight. Got an small morse ACB equivalent, because I like their large Morse (which I used to test flugelhorns, particularly Yamahas). Much better, but also much lighter than the large Morse version of the same piece. Finally sprung for a Taylor ML like you and have found it to be very much to my liking. The ACB mouthpiece has a lot of merit up high, but overall I like the Taylor. I found that having more weight in the mouthpiece helped. I have found that I had to work my way into this horn even though I loved playing it right from the beginning. Not sure how different the Phat Boy and the Standard play, but I find I am rewarded if I back off the air even though it will take whatever you give it. Just one perspective.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more cgaiii, and that's what I'm practicing... backing off, backing off, backing off.

Your observation about mass in the mouthpiece is spot-on now that I think about it.

The best of the best can do anything but like you say, I find myself working my way into this horn and it's something of a winding road. If I played fluegel 2-5% of the time, it wouldn't be this one.

Like you I truly don't understand the difference between Standard and Phat Boy beyond the wrap. There is also a phat 'puppy' in the mix, which I've never seen in the wild. Andy keeps a lot of technical stuff close to his vest and the website leaves much to be desired.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: