• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Old school, A=432

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard school and community bands/orchestras that hedged their bets and played at various tuning centers simultaneously.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve long wondered how people with perfect pitch ever managed to survive in the days before the monolithic acceptance of A 440 (plus or minus a couple of cents)...
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are things that enhance health and things that don't. the body is an electromagnetic generator and it isn't out of the question that all types of frequencies could have different effects on it.
the question could be settled by studies on plant growth which i dimly recall have already been done.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have delved into this subject slightly more. here is a study of frequency on health. there are a few more, one dealing with snails. this is human.

https://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperInformation.aspx?render=details-v4&paperID=87146

the correct response to a subject you know nothing of, is the statement 'i don't know', rather than dogmatic assertion.
anyhow. i detuned my guitar to A=432. this is about a third of a half step. it had a lovely and calming effect, after being a bit unfamiliar initially, but lacked brightness. no zing. getting more into the subject i discovered the 528 hz. material. this puts A=444, an approximate sixth of a half step and within tuning slide adjustment. this being handy as our instruments have limited flexibility. it was doable on both the trumpet and flugel. no observations so far.
to me anyway a fascinating subject that i feel will become important in the next few years.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
i have delved into this subject slightly more. here is a study of frequency on health. there are a few more, one dealing with snails. this is human.

https://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperInformation.aspx?render=details-v4&paperID=87146

the correct response to a subject you know nothing of, is the statement 'i don't know', rather than dogmatic assertion.
anyhow. i detuned my guitar to A=432. this is about a third of a half step. it had a lovely and calming effect, after being a bit unfamiliar initially, but lacked brightness. no zing. getting more into the subject i discovered the 528 hz. material. this puts A=444, an approximate sixth of a half step and within tuning slide adjustment. this being handy as our instruments have limited flexibility. it was doable on both the trumpet and flugel. no observations so far.
to me anyway a fascinating subject that i feel will become important in the next few years.

The problem is, when you detune (or tighten) a guitar, you are changing the effective length of the string, not the actual length, by altering the tension. So, is it the effect of the fundamental on the body/mind, or is it the altered overtone profile? Likewise, when you adjust a tuning slide significantly, you move the horn away from its design - this impacts intonation, shifts nodes, and causes the geometry to interact differently than it would properly tuned. Again, more than just the basic pitch gets changed. To really compare, you would somehow have to build "equivalent" instruments set to two different pitch centers.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tune my guitar almost always to E flat and that seems to be quite a famous trick to alter the sound of a guitar (so they told me).
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweden only adopted A 440 as late as 1912, when our Royal Academy of Music sent a representative to Paris to buy a tuning fork at A440.

All the military bands as well as orchestras had to rebuild their wind instruments...
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: