• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Most Influential Orchestral Player?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J. B. Arban surely influenced many of us, even though he dabbled much in Cornet.
jimspeedjae
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ for Maurice Murphy.

Not just in the UK, but in the realm of film music, where his sound influenced composers and reached a very wide audience. More knew his name than most trumpeters and his Bond work, in particular, ensured an obituary in many national papers.

And an honourable mention to John Wallace, who whilst not convincing most of us to use a 4-valve Eb, did influence the choice of wedding music for a generation (following the Charles and Di thing) and kept more than a few trumpet players (me included) busy on most Saturdays for many a year
afterwards.

Both incredibly well-respected players, introducing many an audience to the great sound a trumpet can make and inspiring a lot of youngsters to pick up the trumpet.
rynoe04

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghitalla I feel should be at least in the discussion here.
Boston University '15, DMA
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynoe04 wrote:

Both in terms of style, and the OP mentioned concern about those who also influenced horn manufactures. Vacchiano would rank high in both, as well, due to his work with Bach. Ghitalla's use of a 'Tottlephone' C/D trumpet harkened back to his BSO predecessor, Roger Voisin, who was similarly influential in terms of students and horn builds.

That Charlie Schlueter hasn't come up yet in this discussion surprises me a bit - students in Japan and Brazil as well as domestically occupy principal chairs all over, and his influence on Dave Monette's early builds as well as the more extreme concepts, including the first modern integral mouthpiece (Raja) horns stands alongside his tenure in the BSO and teaching at Tanglewood and the New England Conservatory, as well as innumerable clinics abroad.

Happy practicing!
-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Ex-Trumpet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynoe04 wrote:

Agree.

Roger Voisin should be mentioned as well. His style was unique, for sure, but the brass section just sounded different when he was in the band.

And who hasn't been influenced by Maurice Andre?!?!
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Most Influential Orchestral Player? Reply with quote

Steve A wrote:
A bit of a discussion question - I've been thinking recently about who has been the most influential orchestral player on sound, style, and overall musical direction.

Sorry to get philosophical on answering this question, but this question has more than one correct answer.

The ability to mimic so much of the complexity of the human voice constitutes the greatest feature of the trumpet family of instruments. Our instruments can sound like just about anything we need them to sound like to paint a picture in listeners' minds and/or create moments of catharsis.

Any of the great players mentioned above had/have the ability to play with a nearly limitless variety of sounds and styles.

In many ways, the vast variety of possible sounds and styles might cause the most disagreement within the trumpet community and between the trumpet community and the composing/directing community, because we can record any phrase in a variety of ways and all those recordings can sound great in isolation. However, in rehearsals and performances, we engage in a battle of the minds with each other over how to interpret particular phrases when we play together under someone's direction.

Hence, the most "influential" players on "sound, style, and overall musical direction" may end up being the ones who can get their orchestral colleagues as well as their directors to adopt/accept their interpretations on a given phrase in a given performance.

My $0.02.
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert in his teaching philosophy, and he's a bit of an outlier compared to the others mentioned here for obvious reasons. However, Malcolm McNab is responsible for leading a lot of the orchestra soundtracks that came out of Hollywood.
PMonteiro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimspeedjae wrote:
+ for Maurice Murphy.

Not just in the UK, but in the realm of film music, where his sound influenced composers and reached a very wide audience. More knew his name than most trumpeters and his Bond work, in particular, ensured an obituary in many national papers.

Agreed. While players like Herseth are legends among the orchestral crowd, Maurice Murphy is more known to the average person. Even those who have never listened to standard orchestral repertoire have most likely heard a film soundtrack with Murphy on it. He has influenced a wider variety of trumpeters, both young and old, amateur and professional.
hup_d_dup
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to consider Georges Mager, who instructed Herseth, Voisin, and Adelstein, each of whom influenced countless others. Mager, during his long career in Europe and the US (principal at Boston for 30 years) was the player who was most influential in the shift from Bb to C trumpets in American orchestras.

Hup
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hup_d_dup wrote:
You would have to consider Georges Mager, who instructed Herseth, Voisin, and Adelstein, each of whom influenced countless others. Mager, during his long career in Europe and the US (principal at Boston for 30 years) was the player who was most influential in the shift from Bb to C trumpets in American orchestras.

Hup

Well, if we're going historical, I'll have to throw my hat in for Max Schlossberg.

Some of Schlossberg's students (taken from jlandressbrass.com):

Elden E. Benge
Isidor Blank
Saul Caston
Charles Colin
Louis Davidson
Vladimir Drucker
Harry Freistadt (his son-in-law)
Harry Glantz
Bernie Glow
Sigmund Hering
Max Kaminsky
"Mannie" Klein
Charlie Margulis
Nathan Prager
Seymour Rosenfeld
Reynold Schilke
James Stamp
Edward Treutel
William Vacchiano
Doc Cheatham
John Barnett
Irwin Shainman
Seymour Feuer
Harry James
Charlie Spivack

All influential in their own right, some becoming influential teachers still praised today.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Harry James had a massive influence on the role of an orchestral principal trumpet player?
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bike&ed wrote:
So Harry James had a massive influence on the role of an orchestral principal trumpet player?

That's your take-away? Seriously?

-Bruce Lee
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
bike&ed wrote:

That's your take-away? Seriously?

Umm, the OP asked a rather particular question, to which only a certain percentage of the ensuing posts have actually made any kind of genuine attempt to answer...the list above is not one of them...
trumpet_cop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex-Trumpet wrote:

And who hasn't been influenced by Maurice Andre?!?!

Andre's large success was as a soloist; not an orchestral player. Not sure that particular influence applies in this particular realm.

I have to agree with Bike&ed. While many orchestral players have influenced many players, those who did not become orchestral players or practitioners cannot be considered in this discussion. Commercial players are great. Those who go on to teach are great. Tpt_guy even qualified it that some listed players were influential in their own right, but they are not influential orchestral players and therefore were probably not directly responsible for influencing the path of orchestral performance and pedagogy today.
Good Ol' Boy ID#3624360
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: As A Listener: Reply with quote

For folks like me who did (do) more listening than playing over the last three decades, Herseth/McNab/Murphy can claim to be the most influential trio of orchestral trumpeters. No offense intended towards influential pedagogues, orchestral trumpeters of earlier generations, virtuoso soloists, notable studio musicians, or awesome crossover players. For many people in my generation, the trumpet in the context of an orchestra was often heard on movie soundtracks. That might give Maurice Murphy an edge over Herseth in terms how much the two influenced the average listener.

I don't own many Chicago Symphony recordings, but I have nearly everything recorded by Montreal when Charles Dutoit was their music director and I heard them live during that time. In my head, I can "hear" James Thompson and Paul Merkelo louder and clearer than Bud Herseth. But when I hear recordings of Herseth, I wish I could have heard him live. I have lived in Minneapolis for a quarter century, and I heard Manny Laureano live several times; he is incredible. Personally, Thompson is the first sound I hear in my head when I think of some of the standard orchestral repertoire.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bike&ed wrote:

Umm, the OP asked a rather particular question, to which only a certain percentage of the ensuing posts have actually made any kind of genuine attempt to answer...the list above is not one of them...

So answering the question and including in a list of successful and influential students some players who happen to not be orchestral players means it wasn't a genuine attempt to answer the question.

Got it.

Don't be literal. Be literate.

Stamp, Vacchiano, Truetel, Glantz have taught armies of successful students and their teaching methods, which derive from Schlossberg, have been some of the most successful. Including Harry James on the list of succeasful Schlossberg students does not discount that fact. It only adds emphasis to his influence on the trumpet playing community at large.

-Bruce Lee
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to quibble, other than to simply check the thread title again. Gotta agree with Didymus. From the recording influence perspective, McNab might even be the arguable “winner.”
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bike&ed wrote:
No need to quibble, other than to simply check the thread title again. Gotta agree with Didymus. From the recording influence perspective, McNab might even be the arguable “winner.”

"Most Influential Orchestral Player?" Schlossberg played in the NY Phil for 16 years.

McNab is a beast.

I'm not sure how influential he is. I never hear much about him from symphonic players, which is likely what most people think of when they hear "orchestral." He is certainly among the most prolific trumpeters and is a legend, for good reason.

Interestingly, McNab credits his success to Stamp, who was a student of Schlossberg.

If I could play half as well as McNab I would die happy.

-Bruce Lee
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trumpet players who helped form the American Orchestral Style were Klopfel and Heim who were both German and instigated a change from the use of the Cornet which was popular in Orchestras at that time, to the Trumpet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: