• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Most Influential Orchestral Player?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Most Influential Orchestral Player? Reply with quote

A bit of a discussion question - I've been thinking recently about who has been the most influential orchestral player on sound, style, and overall musical direction. On the one hand, there's an obvious argument to be made for Herseth having had an enormous influence on how trumpet players want to sound, through his fantastic playing and extensive recording catalog. However, to the best of my knowledge, he taught relatively little and relatively little of his views on how to play and how to learn have entered our standard pedagogical literature.

William Vacchiano also was a fantastic player, also recorded everything many times, and while he's less often held up as a playing model today (regrettably so), he also taught generations of highly successful players, who in turn, went on to be influential teachers. (Thomas Stevens, among many others, comes to mind.)

Phil Smith similarly meets many of those criteria, and I'll bet that his Orchestral Excerpts recording has had a huge impact on how people play standard excerpts.

Vincent Cichowicz isn't as well known as a player, given that 2nd players are less prominent, and that he stopped playing relatively early, but he's certainly cast an incredibly long shadow through his teaching.

Alternatively, looking at this from a different example, I understand that relatively early figures in the 20th century like Georges Mager were a major force in the development of modern orchestral sound concepts (depending on when we declare things to be modern).

Thoughts?
trumpet_cop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pleased to be the first one to respond.

Other players who were big in continuing to shape and influence the modern (American at least) orchestral sound would definitely be Jim Thompson during his Montreal and Atlanta days, and now includes the likes of Tom Hooten, Mark Inouye, and many others.
Good Ol' Boy ID#3624360
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No question here. Herseth.

It's not just whether he "taught" students. He influenced every aspect of brass playing and is largely to "blame" for modern classical trumpet playing. Ask just about any orchestral player and they'd probably agree.
Ex-Trumpet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Most Influential Orchestral Player? Reply with quote

Steve A wrote:
A bit of a discussion question - I've been thinking recently about who has been the most influential orchestral player on sound, style, and overall musical direction. On the one hand, there's an obvious argument to be made for Herseth having had an enormous influence on how trumpet players want to sound, through his fantastic playing and extensive recording catalog. However, to the best of my knowledge, he taught relatively little and relatively little of his views on how to play and how to learn have entered our standard pedagogical literature.

William Vacchiano also was a fantastic player, also recorded everything many times, and while he's less often held up as a playing model today (regrettably so), he also taught generations of highly successful players, who in turn, went on to be influential teachers. (Thomas Stevens, among many others, comes to mind.)

Phil Smith similarly meets many of those criteria, and I'll bet that his Orchestral Excerpts recording has had a huge impact on how people play standard excerpts.

Vincent Cichowicz isn't as well known as a player, given that 2nd players are less prominent, and that he stopped playing relatively early, but he's certainly cast an incredibly long shadow through his teaching.

Alternatively, looking at this from a different example, I understand that relatively early figures in the 20th century like Georges Mager were a major force in the development of modern orchestral sound concepts (depending on when we declare things to be modern).

Thoughts?

Great topic!

Herseth, as you state, may not have taught a whole lot (by comparison) but many that have studied with Vincent Cichowicz were influenced by Herseth back in the day. There's probably a lot of overlap in their fundamentals and playing approach.

And, I'd venture a guess that Arnold Jacobs (CSO tuba) influenced those same Cichowicz students as well.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virtually every major orchestral player will say Herseth.
Many greats studied with Cichowitz and others with Jacobs.
They, more than others, shaped the sound and raised the bar for orchestral players.
Here is Herseth in 1951 on his 7B or 7C. The sound is stunning for 1951 and it is obvious his sound was immediately different than anyone else's at this time. I am not demeaning the outstanding players of that era, yet this and other early Kubelik recordings on Mercury showed just how great his sound was even on "small" equipment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUlm16jNuD4
R. Tomasek
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about great orchestral players who had great influence in equipment design?

Vincent Bach
Renold Schilke
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could we please qualify the statement that "virtually every major player", etc?
There's a whole other world of orchestral playing (and older) across the pond.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Gregory Gilmore
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Most influential orchestral player Reply with quote

Harry Glantz.
mhenrikse
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of influence probably comes from listening and this can be generational.

Vacchiano's dark sound and popularizing the use of trumpets other than Bb and C was important. Bernstein's NY Phil CDs were abundant and available.

I think there was a period of time when every aspiring orchestra player idolized Phil Smith; listening to his CDs and imitating.
trumpet_cop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to be honest here; Vacchiano's playing is not as impressive as others and I am aware of several folks in the community who are also not fans. This compared to Herseth recordings from the same era? Not even a comparison.

Too bad more fulltime pros arent here to actually tell us who they were inspired by.
Good Ol' Boy ID#3624360
deleted_user_48e5f31

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Deleted by dfcoleman Reply with quote

Deleted by dfcoleman

Last edited by deleted_user_48e5f31 on Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:29 am; edited 3 times in total
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an example of Vacchiano playing Copland's An Outdoor Overture, live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT_QBOk_dws
Daniel Barenboim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody will ever have the amount of years that Herseth put in but Phil Smith was a more refined version.

Flame away,

DB
Robert1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adolph Herseth
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Players across the pond were very aware of Adolph Herseth. All you have to do is find the right websites and music magazines and you will see his influence in the entire world. He took only a handful of players as students and if you did not meet his high standards, your lessons ended.
There have been numerous ITG articles associated with him and his influences.
Over the years, we've witnessed many great principal trumpet players and there are many great ones today.
He changed everything, from sound to basic equipment and raised the bar to the level principal (indeed all orchestral trumpet players) must reach.
R. Tomasek

Last edited by Vin DiBona on Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shark01 wrote:
How about great orchestral players who had great influence in equipment design?

Vincent Bach
Renold Schilke
and Benge
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
Players across the pond were very aware of Adolph Herseth. All you have to do is find the right websites and music magazines and you will see his influence in the entire world. He took only a handful of players as students and if you did not meet his high standards, your lessons ended.
There have been numerous ITG articles associated with him and his influences.
Over the years, we've witnessed many great principal trumpet players and there are many great ones today.
He changed everything, from sound to basic equipment raised the bar to the level principal (indeed all orchestral trumpet players) must reach.
R. Tomasek
YES
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Barenboim wrote:
Nobody will ever have the amount of years that Herseth put in but Phil Smith was a more refined version.

Flame away,

DB
I was going to disagree, but then I noticed who posted it. jw
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Louis Davidson Reply with quote

dfcoleman wrote:
Although he might not be as well known as others, I’ve always felt that Louis Davidson was highly influential as both a player and a teacher. His career as a performer (Principal Cleveland Orchestra) was stellar, then his career teaching at Indiana University influenced many, many players, including me.

As for the most influential player? I don’t know, but I feel Louis was certainly among the top contenders.
I agree
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK I imagine many would see Maurice Murphy in a similar position as Herseth. From my limited perspective, I think of them as “twin towers” on opposite sides of the Atlantic...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: