• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece Buying Psychology

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece Buying Psychology Reply with quote

One thing I've wondered about for an awfully long time is why there seems to be quite a difference in psychology between classical and jazz/commercial mouthpiece buying psychology.

I've noticed, as I'm sure you all have, that many jazz and commercial players (or aspiring players) want to own or try the mouthpiece of their favourite player. Whether it is the GR Wayne Bergerons, Louis Armstrong's mouthpiece, another Maynard replica etc or one of the myriad of signature mouthpieces out there, there's a demand for those judging by how many replicas are made.

On the other hand, the demand for a copy of, for example, Maurice Andre or Hakan's mouthpiece seems relatively non-existant, again going by the fact that replicas don't really seem to be a thing.

There's a demand for replica vintage mouthpieces, but not so much for 'signature' mouthpieces and I'm not sure why that is. I get that most classical players tend to use variations on a theme, the 1 1/4C being a favourite with a number of classical soloists for example, but seldom do we know much beyond that. Do Tine Thing Helseth and Alison Balsom have stock 1 1/4Cs or do they have modifications like an opened throat on their mouthpiece for C trumpet? Same for Hakan. He's on a modified Toshi (or a copy of) mouthpiece, but no idea of throat or backbore.

Obviously the mouthpiece isn't the primary contribution to their abilities... But that's kind of the point here. The same is almost certainly true of commercial players as well.
So why do either
A) Want to know every detail about a commercial/jazz soloist's mouthpiece or own a copy?
or
B) Why do we not care about every detail of a classical soloist's mouthpiece?
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that every classical trumpeter playing on a big mouthpiece was looking to emulate Bud Herseth.

Most jazz players that I know play on something close to a 3C. The Monette B6 seems to be another popular choice. Commercial trumpeters are going to want the easiest tool for the job, so it would make sense that they would gravitate towards a design that was used by someone like Maynard or Wayne Bergeron.

There are obvious exceptions to the above, Wynton Marsalis, Ambrose Akinmusire, and Avishai Cohen all play on Monette B2S3's, and Sean Jones uses a 1-1/2C for everything (including lead). Rashawn Ross used to play a Monette B2L, now he's on a Donat 170F (17.0mm (.67") rim diameter, approximately a Bach 1.25 with a shallow cup).

Most of the old school jazz players were using Al Cass pieces, which aren't as popular in modern times, largely due to Steve Cass guarding his secrets so closely. The smaller diameter and sound concept of the Al Cass piece has also declined in popularity, but who knows, maybe that's the secret to sounding like a Blue Note trumpet player of years gone by...
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby wrote:
I was under the impression that every classical trumpeter playing on a big mouthpiece was looking to emulate Bud Herseth.

Or Phil Smith.

But still, you don't see 'Bud Herseth Replica Mouthpieces' or whatever.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an interesting question. It may come down to something as simple as image or 'coolness factor'. The jazz/commercial players are more visible and perform 'tricks' with a bigger 'wow factor' (triple high C's, lots of notes in a small timespan, etc.). They're also often the face of their group (i.e. Maynard and the Fergussons) which makes them highly noticable even to non-trumpet players. On the other hand, classical players are often part of a bigger section in an even bigger orchestra which makes them stand out less. They're no less skilled, but what they do is less 'flashy' and often repeated (to a lesser extent) by their section mates.

So visibility basically. Even here, people can probably name 25+ top commercial players but if you ask them to name 10 classical players, they might struggle.

As for the whole 'copying the stars' thing, I never got that even in high school. But I was the weird kid back then, not the the popular one (still am).
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No serious player older than fifteen will go for a mouthpiece only because a famous player uses it.
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a bigger disparity with jazz mouthpieces. Louis' mouthpiece is as wide as a Bach 1 but very shallow while Maynard's is a shallow V cup and about a Bach 10. I may be wrong but in the jazz idiom it's more to do with personal style and choice of idiom. Playing in a big band has a different requirement in terms of tone and projection than small jazz combo or trad jazz. I don't know, but would a classical player play a different mouthpiece for orchestra than brass quintet?
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
No serious player older than fifteen will go for a mouthpiece only because a famous player uses it.

'only' is the distinction. Many people will still *buy* them, but they'll move on because they don't work for them, but people will still buy them.

Bobby Shew, Wayne Bergeron, Maynard Ferguson, Lynn Nicholson, Carl Fisher, Roger Ingram, Allen Vizzutti are just a few names who come to mind that have names attached to popular mouthpieces.

Many will still buy them to try them. Is it 'only' because a famous player uses it? Possibly it's a significant factor.

Just pointing out that there is a certain level of curiosity about famous player's equipment in the commercial / jazz sphere. In the classical world, it's more or less anything goes (with emphasis on larger diameters).

I'm just saying it's interesting that there is a difference in buying and marketing etc going on. I reckon there are at least as many players that want to play like Maurice Andre as Bobby Shew, so why no Andre Signature models?
(I'm not suggesting for a second that Bobby is not phenomenal, just pointing out that the interest in signature models mostly runs to one side of the musical spectrum).
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
It's an interesting question. It may come down to something as simple as image or 'coolness factor'. The jazz/commercial players are more visible and perform 'tricks' with a bigger 'wow factor' (triple high C's, lots of notes in a small timespan, etc.). They're also often the face of their group (i.e. Maynard and the Fergussons) which makes them highly noticable even to non-trumpet players. On the other hand, classical players are often part of a bigger section in an even bigger orchestra which makes them stand out less. They're no less skilled, but what they do is less 'flashy' and often repeated (to a lesser extent) by their section mates.

So visibility basically. Even here, people can probably name 25+ top commercial players but if you ask them to name 10 classical players, they might struggle.

As for the whole 'copying the stars' thing, I never got that even in high school. But I was the weird kid back then, not the the popular one (still am).

That's my own guess as well, but still I find it interesting. I'd have thought there'd still be a healthy market for it even if not quite as large.

I mean, there are a lot of signature models floating around for classical player, like the Yamaha ones (Hagstrom etc) but a lot of the time, the players they're named after aren't actually playing on them anyway.

There's also a bunch of signature models for excellent classical players around (Pickett has a few as does GR etc) but seemingly not for the most well-known players. And there's probably not nearly as many people with one of those in their desk-drawer as there are for Bergeron and Shew mouthpieces etc

Possibly people just realise that a Helseth or Herseth mouthpiece isn't going to do much for you other than colour your sound a little. Where as people think mouthpiece X will make their upper register work significantly better than whatever they currently play on.

I guess it's just that old Claude Gordon saying: "Trumpet players will buy anything if you tack a double C on it".
stevecass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby wrote:

Most of the old school jazz players were using Al Cass pieces, which aren't as popular in modern times, largely due to Steve Cass guarding his secrets so closely....

i had no idea. It was not intentional. I thought I was doing everything possible to make a completely opposite outcome.

I updated the site with some of the secrets. I plan to post much more soon. I always wanted to let the cat out of the bag but other's have been telling me to hold off. The end of the world may be near so figured what the heck.

here's a direct link to the secrets just revealed. https://alcassmouthpieces.com/the-secret-notes
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:

No serious player who knows the first thing about equipment, agreed.

Plenty of players get pretty decent without knowing the first thing about how playing works and even less about how to choose gear.
Those of us who like to analyse everything tend to know a bit more... Or at least think we do!

I've heard plenty of people who could play picking a signature mouthpiece, finding it roughly appropriate (not unplayable and not a sound they dislike) and taking the stance that "if it's good enough for xxx it's good enough for me" and hitting the shed.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevecass wrote:
Goby wrote:

Most of the old school jazz players were using Al Cass pieces, which aren't as popular in modern times, largely due to Steve Cass guarding his secrets so closely....

i had no idea. It was not intentional. I thought I was doing everything possible to make a completely opposite outcome.

I updated the site with some of the secrets. I plan to post much more soon. I always wanted to let the cat out of the bag but other's have been telling me to hold off. The end of the world may be near so figured what the heck.

here's a direct link to the secrets just revealed. https://alcassmouthpieces.com/the-secret-notes

I'm terribly sorry, I meant your father Al Cass. From what I understand, every piece was slightly customized to the player, meaning that there aren't too many pieces to go around, and it's hard to say which example is the definitive 1-28, for example. Typo on my behalf! I really appreciate all the info you've shared online about Al Cass!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to go into detail. Just . . I don't agree with your premise at all.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
stevecass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Goby"][quote="stevecass"]
Goby wrote:

I'm terribly sorry, I meant your father Al Cass. From what I understand, every piece was slightly customized to the player, meaning that there aren't too many pieces to go around, and it's hard to say which example is the definitive 1-28, for example. Typo on my behalf! I really appreciate all the info you've shared online about Al Cass!

You don't have to take it back, I can see how one may think that. To a certain point it's true but my original perspective on the mouthpieces that I had in my possession was that they should be in the hands of those who will make noise with them rather than sit in a box in a collection. The idea of replication at that time was science fiction so laughed at. How could such genius be replicated? Most who look will see those notes and get nothing from them except a look at the math, the technical complexity of the situation and have more of an appreciation for the art form and then there are other's who may see and recognize exactly what's going on, which may get a conversation or two going and who knows, maybe some fine tuning will be done by those making knock-offs, but I can assure you, it's way over my head. It's so much easier to have the actual piece and scan it right?! Lol

Not all pieces were custom, perhaps the pieces I let out the past 30 years, many of them are, which is why I published the notes because I promised those who got those pieces during those years was that one day I would release the notebooks and have no doubt it may reveal what some people actually have, thus the treasure hunt. But there are standard pieces offered to the general clientele at that time. Not everyone was a superstar who came to Milford and had a piece made, that was mostly pro, true. It was in the early early days when some pieces were made that got out and those are out there still being discovered.

At first, I was totally against the idea of modern replication and eventually had a change of heart that it was better than nothing, especially taking those players into mind who were desperately seeking a certain size that I could not supply them.(a reason why so many pieces have been altered, not by Al Cass but those who had their own customization done by someone who may/may not know Al Cass. But what happens if the mod is not a success? It was well done, but not what made the piece better for the one doing the mod, (liquidation time, sold unfortunately to those who had no idea a mod was done) So you really need to know exactly what your getting when you dish out the big bucks for an old piece, granted people who have it may not even know a mod was done, so there is a level of risk that some don't take. But when you think of total original output of Al Cass mouthpieces, there just aren't that many out there and I think the past 20 years online has made the rarity apparent.

Then you have many who say, Al Cass is old news, old technology, there are so many advancements. There is a lot to this mouthpiece making thing than the average folk think. 99% of the population thinks they are all the same. You can clearly see from the notes, there is something more going on and those players from those older days took their craft just as seriously as they do today.
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total shot in the dark but my theory is it is because individual expression (and in this case sound concept) is more central to jazz whereas classical music is more about homogeneity and emulating recordings.

Only classical "signature" mouthpieces I'm really aware of are Rolfs' Stork 2B+25C, Smith's archetypal Bach 5B 24/24 with a different rim, and Hagstrom's Yamaha mouthpiece
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
stevecass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thought about the original post topic. Classical players are indeed many of the very best, dedicated and consistent performers. They can't move so much while playing as to not create a distraction to the conductor, other musicians that surround them, or audience. They are contained and appear stiff, and the lights can get hot. I personally could not play under such conditions, each and every time, to have to play exactly what's written on paper. These players deserve more respect indeed. I would be more likely to do my own rendition and piss off the conductor, add a note here and there to do it my way. So it's a mentality and really shows the differences. The soloist classical players are truly incredible, those who can respect the original music as composed and give it just enough of their own style to make it more interesting and of course makes the conductor look good.

But Jazz players are totally different, they move around, they are playing different notes each and every time. Rarely play the same series of notes two nights in a row They are seeking to inspire themselves into a better performance, the audience doesn't want to hear the same notes, thus seeking those notes and not overly replicating oneself is the goal. Creating as they perform. They need to move around to think of what to play. Dizzy Reece "Dizzy by the way means "genius", Blue Note musician, he says to me, "Do you know what I mean when I say this mouthpiece swings?" "Do you have any idea what that means?" "Al Cass swings!"

My father probably catered to the jazz players because he knew them well because that's what he loved to play most. I think the idea of creating as performing turned him on. You have to be a big name to get away with this in classical music. Messing with classical music during that time was probably a no no. But he eventually set out to gain the respect of the orchestra players with the 4 series, which was the last series of trumpet pieces he created. The 1 series was made for himself, the 2 series was made because Diz needed something different, then along came the big band screaming leads, and the 3 series came into being. Then it was after he had success with these groups of players that he tried to gain the respect of the orchestra guys. Though he was at the top with the previously mentioned, he wanted to finally climb the ladder to conquer the orchestra community. (Let's just say it, classical is the higher class) He didn't conquer the classical world but he did get some respect from some of the performers in the different symphonies. He knew they wanted bigger pieces and the 4 series are the biggest pieces, especially the 4S series. Gaining the respect of the orchestra players was the ultimate achievement, though it was the less noticeable. Jazz and rock, the studio screamers, is flash! It's cool! Can ya dig it? These players make the most noise. The average person knows these type of trumpet players, not many regular folks know the top name in classical music. Classical is like fine wine, much more refined, not as flashy, (though today, there are some pretty flashy ones, and if my father were alive today, he would go after them too.) The 4 series pieces are obviously very scarce, the scarcest trumpet pieces by far, but hopefully one day, all you classical guys and gals will have them at your finger tips. That's the plan.

Last edited by stevecass on Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
stevecass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O00Joe wrote:
Total shot in the dark but my theory is it is because individual expression (and in this case sound concept) is more central to jazz whereas classical music is more about homogeneity and emulating recordings.

Exactly.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevecass wrote:
A thought about the original post topic. Classical players are indeed many of the very best, dedicated and consistent performers. They can't move so much while playing as to not create a distraction to the conductor, other musicians that surround them, or audience. They are contained and appear stiff, and the lights can get hot. I personally could not play under such conditions, each and every time, to have to play exactly what's written on paper. These players deserve more respect indeed. I would be more likely to do my own rendition and piss off the conductor, add a note here and there to do it my way. So it's a mentality and really shows the differences. The soloist classical players are truly incredible, those who can respect the original music as composed and give it just enough of their own style to make it more interesting and of course makes the conductor look good.

But Jazz players are totally different, they move around, they are playing different notes each and every time. Rarely play the same series of notes two nights in a row They are seeking to inspire themselves into a better performance, the audience doesn't want to hear the same notes, thus seeking those notes and not overly replicating oneself is the goal. Creating as they perform. They need to move around to think of what to play. Dizzy Reece "Dizzy by the way means "genius", Blue Note musician, he says to me, "Do you know what I mean when I say this mouthpiece swings?" "Do you have any idea what that means?" "Al Cass swings!"

My father probably catered to the jazz players because he knew them well because that's what he loved to play most. I think the idea of creating as performing turned him on. You have to be a big name to get away with this in classical music. Messing with classical music during that time was probably a no no. But he eventually set out to gain the respect of the orchestra players with the 4 series, which was the last series of trumpet pieces he created. The 1 series was made for himself, the 2 series was made because Diz needed something different, then along came the big band screaming leads, and the 3 series came into being. Then it was after he had success with these groups of players that he tried to gain the respect of the orchestra guys. Though he was at the top with the previously mentioned, he wanted to finally climb the ladder to conquer the orchestra community. (Let's just say it, classical is the higher class) He didn't conquer the classical world but he did get some respect from some of the performers in the different symphonies. He knew they wanted bigger pieces and the 4 series are the biggest pieces, especially the 4S series. Gaining the respect of the orchestra players was the ultimate achievement, though it was the less noticeable. Jazz and rock, the studio screamers, is flash! It's cool! Can ya dig it? These players make the most noise. The average person knows these type of trumpet players, not many regular folks know the top name in classical music. Classical is like fine wine, much more refined, not as flashy, (though today, there are some pretty flashy ones, and if my father were alive today, he would go after them too.) The 4 series pieces are obviously very scarce, the scarcest trumpet pieces by far, but hopefully one day, all you classical guys and gals will have them at your finger tips. That's the plan.

Wishing you success and extending the series from AC to SC models!
stevecass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:

Wishing you success and extending the series from AC to SC models!

Hi, thanks but I don't qualify nor even gave thought to having my own models. Whatever I have/had made is made directly from an exiting prototype model. I personally know nothing of making mouthpieces.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do those wanting to "emulate" Orchestral players gravitate to Bach 1C's? Why not a Schilke 24 ? Also, why not use the equipment that is most efficient to you as an individual ? Do you use a Back Hoe to dig out a Flower Pot ? Do you wear a size 16 shoe just because say Phil Smith wears that size ?

I play what works for me regardless of who's name may or may not be attached to it. And, of course, the tone (musical) quality produced should be the chief factor involved.

The Psychology is probably the same as people spending several hundred dollars on a pair of basketball sneakers cheaply made in China now just because a certain basketball players name is attached to it.

What say yall ?
stevecass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellDDixon wrote:
Why do those wanting to "emulate" Orchestral players gravitate to Bach 1C's? Why not a Schilke 24 ? Also, why not use the equipment that is most efficient to you as an individual ? Do you use a Back Hoe to dig out a Flower Pot ? Do you wear a size 16 shoe just because say Phil Smith wears that size ?

I play what works for me regardless of who's name may or may not be attached to it. And, of course, the tone (musical) quality produced should be the chief factor involved.

The Psychology is probably the same as people spending several hundred dollars on a pair of basketball sneakers cheaply made in China now just because a certain basketball players name is attached to it.

What say yall ?

Dizzy Reece (blue note artist) basically said to me, "The best sounding mouthpiece ever made was the Bach 1, but it will kill me to do what I want to do on it.". He uses an Al Cass 3x1, which the diameter is considerably smaller with a slight bite under the rim, but does have the depth of a symphony piece. So it appears for him, it's a compromise of sorts. *Diz has a few ideas of his own that he would like to see get into production, in so far as trumpet design, so if you are a maker of trumpets, give him a shout! (I think he would like this plug)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: