• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece Buying Psychology

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece Buying Psychology Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:

A) Want to know every detail about a commercial/jazz soloist's mouthpiece or own a copy?
or
B) Why do we not care about every detail of a classical soloist's mouthpiece?
I haven't found that to be true, I think classical players/students are just as interested in what the pros play as jazz/commercial players/students, if not more so. In fact, many talented jazz players are not as hung up on mouthpieces. I've known a lot of classical players that were definitely concerned with how wide to open the throat on their 1.25C or what backbore to match it up with, based on so-and-so orchestral player. Classical players have tinkered with more Bach mouthpieces than jazz players hands down!
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby wrote:
I was under the impression that every classical trumpeter playing on a big mouthpiece was looking to emulate Bud Herseth.

Or Phil Smith.

But still, you don't see 'Bud Herseth Replica Mouthpieces' or whatever.

Curry BC pieces.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
Goby wrote:
I was under the impression that every classical trumpeter playing on a big mouthpiece was looking to emulate Bud Herseth.

Or Phil Smith.

Curry BC pieces.

Bud Cerseth?
Aspeyrer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting question/assessment. However, a few of the replies are inaccurate. Jaw04 has it right; most people in the classical realm play copies of what other famous players played. There are too many examples but here are a few very common big-name ones;
Yamaha artists series - they make somewhere around 8 different “classical artists” pieces, soloist and orchestral players. Every single player I know has at some point tried or owned all of these pieces. They are great and relatively cheap. Tom Hooten just released one and it sold nicely.

Perhaps you’ve seen all the 5B underparts floating around? These are supposedly copies/variations of what phil smith played. The Sullivan signature is incredibly similar. As are many other manufacturers pieces.

Someone specifically mentioned Andre and hardenberger. There are actually several makers that make “copies” of their mouthpieces. Toshi is one that has been around for a while and is getting some nice press recently. Most players I know have owned or played these pieces before.

Last edited by Aspeyrer on Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Ed Kennedy wrote:
Goby wrote:

Or Phil Smith.

Curry BC pieces.

Bud Cerseth?

BC Cup: The BC, or "Chicago" cup is actually a 1-piece version of the C rim combined with the Bach-style B cup. Excellent for orchestral work, with a #2 Schmidt style backbore. Available in all diameters.
Cup Depth & Shape Curry Size 1H 1 1.25 1.5 2 3 (**) 5 6 7 8.5 10.5
cup diameter .684" .680" .672" .670" .668" .665" .660" .658" .652" .639" .625"
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven Herseth, Bud's son, gave the late Scott Laskey Bud's long-time 1B to be copied.
Scott planned on a Herseth heritage line of all the models Bud used in his career, including a 7D.
The whole story is here.(Scroll down) https://www.brasschats.com/
Laskey does mention which of his mouthpiece line is exactly like Herseth's 1B.
R. Tomasek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: