• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet or Cornet For My Son?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Trumpet Reply with quote

Myskywalker
Hopefully, he got a good one. If the celicio trumpet has any issues, most tech will not repair it. I have owed celicio and other Chinese made trumpets.
There are many great student trumpets out there. For his second trumpet or cornet buy one with a 1st slide thumb saddle.
Have never owed a Carol brass trumpet, but have heard good things about them.
When I buy a horn, try to think about resale value. Yamaha, Bach and Getzen have great resale value. Even for a used name brand trumpet, you may pay more. When reselling, generally you at least break even.
Keep us informed about how your son is doing.
Yamaha 11 e4 cornet mouthpiece
Yamaha 9e cornet mouthpiece
Bach 5 B cornet mouthpiece
Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
If he has a trumpet now and likes it, then why get anything? Just let him keep doing what he's doing. Believe me, if he sticks with it, you'll have PLENTY of opportunity to buy more horns later!
keith

I agree. If he ain't broke, don't fix him.
Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has developed into an interesting (and important) topic....I have just re-read every post and I'd like to make a few observations in no particular order;

1) It does not really matter which instrument you start a young beginner on (unless the youngster is disabled) as 'most' kids can manage either trumpet or cornet.

2) the beginning tasks are brutally simple (in my view),...you're just trying to put in place good breathing,..good articulation and 'tuneful' spound production.

3) I'm a firm believer in letting kids make their own musical discoveries,...as much as possible. The beginners teacher is there to guide and prevent any wrong turns....NOT to dictate any artistic or musical ideas. It was always important to me that kids don't copy anyones sound or style but find their won way into what I hoped was a lifetime activity.

4) It is vital that young musicians get to hear and experience varied musical styles and ensembles......You can't become the best musician on either cornet or trumpet by sitting on your own in a room.....you HAVE to be part of an ensemble and these may only use one or other instrument.

5) When young players are getting to the 'moving on time' they may have the specific abilities for other brass instruemnts, not JUST cornet or trumpet........Don't stop a potentially good horn or euphonium player by insisiting on trumpet/cornet because that is YOUR choice. One of the kids I started off is now a talented orchestral tuba player but he asked me for a trumpet to be with his friend!

6) Cultural influences are all important....there's not much point in showing kids serious cornet playing if all they will have access to is trumpet equipped bands and orchestras.......likewise, here in UK trumpet is probalby NOT the best choice for similar reasons.

7) When I was teaching brass (as outlined earlier) I used a Jupiter pocket trumpet very successfully.....with cornet adapter/mpc a reasonable cornet technique can be demonstrated and a trumpet mpc gives a passable trumpet voice. This also avoided my seeming to have allegieance to one particular instrument. This might be a good beginning instrument.
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, if he is doing fine on trumpet and enjoying it then there is no reason to change. If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it. If he decides later on to switch to cornet that's fine. I know some brass players who have switched for high or low brass to the other as they got older and they are happy as can be.
Bach Strad 43 Sterling Silver Plus
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: