• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Having to push my lower lip out to maintain buzz ascending

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
texasdav

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:58 am    Post subject: Having to push my lower lip out to maintain buzz ascending Reply with quote

I recently went through Smile Direct (like Invisalign) adjustment to my teeth. The lower teeth used to bow out.

The lower teeth are somewhat pulled back in alignment with the upper teeth now, or at least more so.

I've been struggling to adjust my embouchure, and now find that to maintain a buzz/sound as I ascend, I have to push my lower lip out a bit.

Is this weird, wrong--what say you? Thank you.
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a teacher
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you 'rolling' (placing) your lower lip in relation to your teeth in a way that you didn't before?
Are you using your jaw to adjust the mouthpiece pressure on your lower lip?
Do you feel a difference in the amount of mouthpiece pressure on your lower lip than before?
Do you feel that you are 'blowing into the mouthpiece' in a different manner than before?
Is there any pain or injury to your lower lip?

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
texasdav

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Response Reply with quote

I am just pushing my lower lip out as I ascend a bit to maintain sound production.

Everything else (air flow..., pressure) is the same I think.

I am in a period of confusion, but will persist on.

Have good tone in the middle to low range, but when I get to F, G, and on up I sometimes lose sound quality....get junk
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing would be to get a good teacher to give it a look. However, beware of a teacher with one set of routines or one that begins with an embouchure change.

You said your teeth are in a different - not as forward - position. The lip will have different support on set up and throughout your playing. It may just need time to gradually change its position and balance. Thinking of keeping the tongue forward may help.

Best wishes,
Alan
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your embouchure could be accustomed to certain physical positioning and perhaps what's happening is you're pushing out to recreate that position.

Give it time. Practice fundamentals: Clarke, (as instructed) Arban, lip slurs, flow studies, etc. Your chops should re-orient themselves but it will take some time.

And as previously mentioned, get a teacher. I second the comment that it should not be a teacher who opens with embouchure changes. A good teacher will give you instruction that will result in a strong, dependable, and well-formed embouchure without even telling you.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puckering the lower lip forward is good. I hope you are not merely moving the lower jaw forward, though. Try lots of lip bends . . . half step down, whole step down, minor third down. If you play them with a forte (beefy) sound, you know you are puckering the lower lip correctly. If the bent notes sound and feel flimsy, weak, unstable, , , not enough pucker going on.

Some people pucker the lower lip AND bring the lower jaw slightly forward for lip bends and pedal tones. That is OK if needed. Main thing is to go by the sound and secure feeling of the embouchure against the mouthpiece.

I have a YouTube video on lip bends, and another one on pedal tones. They may help.

David Hickman
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Having to push my lower lip out to maintain buzz ascendi Reply with quote

texasdav wrote:
I recently went through Smile Direct (like Invisalign) adjustment to my teeth. The lower teeth used to bow out.

The lower teeth are somewhat pulled back in alignment with the upper teeth now, or at least more so.

I've been struggling to adjust my embouchure, and now find that to maintain a buzz/sound as I ascend, I have to push my lower lip out a bit.

No - not at all weird. To play my lower teeth open and push out a bit. The lips have to be aligned the right way in relation to each other.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
texasdav

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpt.hick wrote:
Puckering the lower lip forward is good. I hope you are not merely moving the lower jaw forward, though. Try lots of lip bends . . . half step down, whole step down, minor third down. If you play them with a forte (beefy) sound, you know you are puckering the lower lip correctly. If the bent notes sound and feel flimsy, weak, unstable, , , not enough pucker going on.

Some people pucker the lower lip AND bring the lower jaw slightly forward for lip bends and pedal tones. That is OK if needed. Main thing is to go by the sound and secure feeling of the embouchure against the mouthpiece.

I have a YouTube video on lip bends, and another one on pedal tones. They may help.

David Hickman

I am "puckering" the lower lip as I ascend...I just have a big lower lip and now I seem to have too much of it...pushing the lip out seems to recreated what I think was my former embouchure.
texasdav

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Having to push my lower lip out to maintain buzz ascendi Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
texasdav wrote:

No - not at all weird. To play my lower teeth open and push out a bit. The lips have to be aligned the right way in relation to each other.

Thank you. I think I'm going to get there. It has been frustrating and baffling though. Doing lots of buzzing (Buzz book) long tones and slurs; flow studies.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Having to push my lower lip out to maintain buzz ascendi Reply with quote

texasdav wrote:
Robert P wrote:
texasdav wrote:

Thank you. I think I'm going to get there. It has been frustrating and baffling though. Doing lots of buzzing (Buzz book) long tones and slurs; flow studies.

Something I recommend trying is on a given note - establish a nice fat note and then try raising the horn level relative to the plane of your face until the note cuts off. Then lower it down until the note speaks again. At that point where the note speaks is where I find everything works the best.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: