• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Thinking of buying a Getzen Genesis 3003 Trumpet!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

Location: Fresno, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Thinking of buying a Getzen Genesis 3003 Trumpet! Reply with quote

I played a friend's Getzen Genesis and was amazed by it. Too bad they only offer the shiny lacquer or silver plate finishes now.

Does anyone have experiences with this horn you'd like to share? Thanks!
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what is gold at now $1800 an once.....Not a lot of people have a spare $1800 on top of the price of a new horn just dying to burn a hole in their pocket. So from a manufacturing stand point since they have to pay for that service before someone even buys the horn it makes sense not to offer it. I am sure that any place from Andersons to the local platers in your area that do gold plate would be happy to plate your Genesis if you get it in silver from the OEM then their is no buffing or anything needed it is literally ready to go into the tank for gold plating!

I do envy you though that is one horn I have been wanting to try that I still have not been able to lay my hands on.
jonalan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I played a gold, bead-blasted model. Fantastic horn.

It's a heavy horn; very open blow; incredible valves (of course, they're Getzens); huge, big, phat sound. I played it in combo settings. Fantastic horn (did I already say that).

For me, it didn't blend well in sections. As I played less and less combo gigs, and more and more big band and pit work, I eventually sold it.

I have nothing bad to say about this horn.
hanerhoffmusic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine will be here in a little over a month! I agree that the gold plate looks fantastic but bright lacquer is nice too. Plus, a good custom shop can do a scratch brush for a couple hundred bucks. Check out the Kanstul 1600WB for a good example of scratch brushed lacquer.

Having it brushed does void the warranty on the lacquer though...
jhopkins7
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bead blasted gold as well. Nothing negative for me on this. I haven't experienced the blend issues; however, my section work is limited to the occasional stint in community band. Enormous sound (without taking a ton of effort to fill), perfect fit and finish, and great intonation. Interchangeable lead pipes are nice too - although I normally play with the "O" (open) pipe. The "S" (standard) pipe blends much more easily for legit section work for me. Also, one of the nicest cases I've ever seen.

On the negative side, this is a physically heavy horn. Until I really got accustomed to it, I had the impression that it was a little ungainly and hard to get around on. Also, it took me a little bit to be able to play in tune. I said great intonation above - and this is true. It is very even throughout the range. Most of the notes that we automatically adjust a little on didn't need the adjustment. So until I got this into my head, I fought the horn a little.

All in all, I love mine. I play it for almost everything - it responds well to MP changes, and I have no problem playing lead in a stage band with it. I'd very much recommend giving it a whirl.
Bach 229 C
Warburton mpcs
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

Location: Fresno, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanerhoffmusic wrote:
Mine will be here in a little over a month! I agree that the gold plate looks fantastic but bright lacquer is nice too. Plus, a good custom shop can do a scratch brush for a couple hundred bucks. Check out the Kanstul 1600WB for a good example of scratch brushed lacquer.

Having it brushed does void the warranty on the lacquer though...

I thought about buying a lacquer version and getting a nice brushed/satin finish applied, but two of the main custom finish places both quoted me about $400 for the job!
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

may have seen similar posts from me in the past on this ... was going to buy this horn about 5 years ago, but the bead-blasted gold was on back order and I got tired of waiting, thus I picked up a different horn at that time (Romeo Adaci Referenz).

I did get to play a bead blasted silver one last year (bummed this finish is no longer offered) and thought the horn was fabulous. Didn't get to play both leadpipes, so I don't know which I'd prefer, but I expected it to be solid and I found it to be even better than anticipated. Yes, the heavy bracing is, well, heavy ... but I didn't find it problematic. I also like the ML+ bore size of .462 and thought the horn felt 'just right' to me.

Don't think you'll be disappointed. Yes, it looks different, so get ready for questions from other players, design bashers, and plenty of smiles.

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S

Last edited by cyber_shake on Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with the 3003 is limited to trying them at the NAMM show. I found their blow characteristics to be different from what is typical. They neither played like a tight slotting horn or a free blowing one. They (I tried all three that Getzen had brought) had their own feel, unrelated to other trumpets I've tried.

I got an immediate sense that the sound was sort of numb, so I played into the tile floor hoping to get a better sense of what was coming out the bell. I don't remember a lot more, except that the 3052 I played felt and sounded much better to me. It was a design that felt very versatile and accessible.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Dan O'Donnell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

As many on TH knows..I LOVE my Getzen Genesis. (Note: If you haven't already...read my history of posts including..."GETZENS'S GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE"

Forget about (insert New York accent) the finish...it does not make a difference to both the playability and sound.

Getzen's Genesis is THE best trumpet I have played in my (30)+ years of play testing horns including Monette Trumpets!

Take advantage of the interchangeable leadpipe feature...the "S" (standard) leadpipe plays much differently than the "O" (open) leadpipe so take advantage of using the best for YOU...and...don't forget...other Edwards leadpipes also fit the Getzen Genesis.

As for being heavy...I have a Jason Harrelson's 909 Modification on my Besson Brevette by Kanstul which is much heavier than the Getzen Genesis.

In my opinion...as for blending with others...using the "S" leadpipe with a "standard" MP will blend with most players and horns. The "O' leadpipe lends itself to a more intimate combo / Chet Baker solo.

As I stated in an earlier post...listen to Michael Buble's recordings with his lead playing a Genesis / Edwards and I challenge anyone to call the sound "dull".

Whatever horn you choose obviously must meet your priorities.

Mine are...

1.) Sound
2.) Playability
3.) Cosmetics

My Gold Beadblasted Getzen Genesis exceeds all (3) of my personal priorities.

Let us know what you finally choose!

"Praise Him with the sound of the Trumpet:..."
Psalms 150:3
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trombone Shorty plays one--and how!
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Big Daddy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a Genesis at Namm this year and felt it was the best horn I played while there. I already have 2 very nice playing trumpets and just purchased my Getzen 3850 Cornet at the time I played it. I also loved playing the Getzen 3895 Flugelhorn and recently added that horn to my arsenal. If I purchase another trumpet it will probably be a Getzen 3003 Genesis.
1956 Olds Recording

Monette 6BS1
Monette 6B FL - Cornet
Kanstul C.G. Personal F - Flugelhorn
http://www.reverbnation.com/robertmeyersjazz
hanerhoffmusic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanstul said they would scratch brush mine for $250.

Trombone shorty plays the Edwards version...awesomely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWYA5OzK9xE&feature=feedlik

[/code][/youtube][/quote]
Dan O'Donnell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Braun managed to "get by" on his for several years!

When he was playing one, I asked him what he liked about it...he said..."The first time I played it I knew it had a great sound!".

He also stated that he liked the valves and that he too was using the "O" leadpipe.

During my visit to Getzen I was told that Rick was able to get an almost Flugelhorn sound out of his Genesis when he wanted to.

Although I am just an amateur / volunteer church musician I play solos on it with a wireless mic and background orchestration.

Personally, I use the "O" leadpipe and KO's (Stomvi) Flex MP which for ME creates the perfect sound I enjoy.

Note: Just for fun, I used the "S" leadpipe with my Bach 3D and it really brightened up with crisper attacks.

When working with Christian at Edwards during my leadpipe selection process with Getzen, he explained that the "S" leadpipe spoke quicker with a more defined "front edge" of each note (articulation) than the "O" leadpipe as I played both of them as he helped to fit me.

Some of the other Edwards leadpipes played brighter with crisp articulation that a Lead player would probably enjoy.

Intonation is spot on as it slots extremely well yet still maintains some flexibility to bend notes etc.

As for the playability...it has a .462 bore and plays very open with the right amount of resistance.

One of several features on the horn that helps to give it a nice tone is the large throat like the Martin Handcraft Committee.

After a gig, Chris showed me his Committee and explained the throat was so big he had to double wrap his mutes in cork to keep them from falling out of the bell.

In summary, if you have never play tested a Getzen Genesis you at least owe it to yourself to try one (testing both the "S" & "O" leadpipes that are provided with the horn) before purchasing any Trumpet.

"Praise Him with the sound of the Trumpet:..."
Psalms 150:3
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanerhoffmusic wrote:
Kanstul said they would scratch brush mine for $250.

Trombone shorty plays the Edwards version...awesomely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWYA5OzK9xE&feature=feedlik

[/code][/youtube]
[/quote]

Dang, they told me it would cost $320. Of course, I wanted the lacquer stripped, scratch finish applied to the brass and then relacquered on top of that. I'm not sure if that's what you wanted.
hanerhoffmusic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I only asked about scratched lacquer, not scratched brass. Scratched brass does look pretty fantastic though.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=craig+klein+trombone&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=JB3&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1191&bih=949&tbm=isch&tbnid=XM1KfPWRmph4uM:&imgrefurl=http://www.claytoncallphoto.com/keyword/klein/1/537841253_ivaVZ&docid=fBuxidRo-KfgXM&itg=1&imgurl=http://www.claytoncallphoto.com/Music/New-Orleans-Jazz-Heritage-2/Craig-Klein-050706-1/537841253_ivaVZ-L-2.jpg&w=800&h=572&ei=MB2jTuTnD8StsALA9tmpBQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=451&sig=109357467466546405140&page=1&tbnh=148&tbnw=199&start=0&ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0&tx=145&ty=66
Dink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 3003 in the Rick Brahn Edition brushed 24K gold ( SN # 18 ) It is a wonderful horn in every respect. However, I think Getzen made the correct decision on doing away with the brushed / bead blasted finishes due to the difficulty of cleaning. You can't "polish" them because the finsish will become bright and tarnish does get into silver or gold brushed / blasted areas. I use only windex to clean mine.
In additon, any area that rubs going into a case or gig bag will give you polished areas. As good as the brushed 24K gold looks, the polished 14K that was used in years past holds up vastly better. My gold plated Doc Eterna still looks great after 42 years.
Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
LeBlanc Bobby Harriott Model
My. Vernon Bach Mercury Model
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dink wrote:
I have the 3003 in the Rick Brahn Edition brushed 24K gold ( SN # 18 ) ... You can't "polish" them because the finsish will become bright and tarnish does get into silver or gold brushed / blasted areas. ... In additon, any area that rubs going into a case or gig bag will give you polished areas. ...

Interesting. My 2004 Romeo Adaci is bead-blasted gold and it doesn't have these issues. Guess the European's have one up on us Yanks in this department?

Love that original Rick Braun Genesis!

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
Dink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe so. I think it is the softness of the 24K gold. If you go to Thompson Music and look at all of the gold Monettes, they almost always say "faded gold on contact areas". You can't hardly wear out the 14K plating
Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
LeBlanc Bobby Harriott Model
My. Vernon Bach Mercury Model
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a satin Gold Genesis in stock a few minutes ago. email me for more price info.
-T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Accordion Ron
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've got a gold plated Lawler Model T.....cost $750 extra about six years ago for the gold plating. How much extra would it be now???
Been meaning to call Roy and ask him, but can't seem to get him on the phone. Business must be good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: