• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flugelhorn Mouthpieces

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coloradomacs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Flugelhorn Mouthpieces Reply with quote

I just bought a Yamaha 631G for $830 in great condition. I'm now looking at mouthpieces. I'm currently thinking about Yamaha's Bobby Shew flugel mouthpiece, as I already play on the Bobby Shew trumpet mouthpiece and I love how it feels. I'm also looking at something deeper and more rich, so maybe the 16F4? I'm too new to the world of flugels to know what will fit me best and it's so hard now to try mouthpieces. What're your opinions on those and any other suggestions for something more dark and rich, and also maybe something Bobby Shew like.
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m wondering about something similar. I’m wanting to know: what piece helps give the most ‘depth’ and ‘fluff’?
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a Yamaha 14F4 with my Yamaha 731 and like it plenty for much of my playing. There's nothing terribly deep or fluffy about the Yamaha "F" cup but it works just fine. As I recall the Shew flugel pieces isn't terribly different. If you want a much more exotic sound I'd recommend the Reeves HF cup. Reeves size 43 would probably be closest to the Yamaha Shew or 16F4 but with a bit wider feel. I think the Reeves 43N feels a bit more Bach-like compared to the stock Reeves 43.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry FLD in your rim size. D is for deep. Still quite manageable. The Shew piece was too trombone-like in sound for me.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Bobby plays the Shew horn with the Shew mouthpiece the clouds part and the angels sing. I absolutely love how he sounds pretty much always. When I play the same setup it sounds plenty good but not nearly as rich,...to my ears. The Reeves HF meets or exceeds the sound in my head.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warburton makes some nice flugel pieces; rim sizes correspond to their standard trumpet tops, although they also have a signature flugel piece made for Arturo Sandoval.

I think the Warburton 5FL or 5FLD might be similar in rim size to the Shew, but don't quote me.

I play the 4FL and it gets a nice buttery sound without getting too trombonish on my Getzen flugel.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would talk to Mark Curry if you dont want to spend more than you have to. In any event, make sure you get the right shank for your specific horn. Its very important. good luck. jw
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing like the Flip Oakes Extreme mouthpiece for flugelhorn. If you think of a French horn mouthpiece as a concept, that is essentially what the Extreme is. Flip has them in all three shank styles and in a range of sizes.

flipoakes.com

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
claf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
I think the Warburton 5FL or 5FLD might be similar in rim size to the Shew, but don't quote me.

I'm quoting you , but just because I have the Marcinkiewicz BS and the Warburton 5FL (but not the Yamaha Shew).
The rim on the Marc. is rounder than the one on the Warburton, but the diameter is similar (maybe a tiny bit larger on the Warburton).
The bore is however larger on the Warburton.

One more thing, the Warburton 5 trumpet rim is slightly different in shape with the Warburton 5 flugelhorn rim (the flugelhorn one is a little bit rounder). It's funny because there is a similar situation with Marcinkiewicz BS mouthpieces (the rim on the flugelhorn mouthpiece is rounder than the Marcinkiewicz Shew 1 and 2).
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of the Austin Custom Brass MDF flugel pieces. They are the closest thing to the sound I have in my head. I also agree with the comment about Bobby Shew's flugel sound. One of my favorites and definitely a huge influence in my personal sound concept.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Flugel mouthpieces Reply with quote

This is my opinion on the flugelhorn mouthpiece selection.

Obviously those favoring extremely deep flugel mouthpieces have never been in a playing situation like:

A cold showroom and picking up the horn cold to play unisons with flutes.

Soloing with an orchestra in the same cold/cool conditions.

Playing flugelhorn lead with a chart written by the arranger up to D's and E's above the staff ( Don Menza comes to mind when playing in his band).

These are the reasons I advocate a medium cup depth on the flugel. A extreme deep mouthpiece certainly gives the dark sound some like but in actual performance conditions that makes life more difficult.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Flugel mouthpieces Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
Obviously those favoring extremely deep flugel mouthpieces have never been in a playing situation like:

A cold showroom and picking up the horn cold to play unisons with flutes.

Made me laugh out loud. Thanks Tony.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, great thoughts that might often be overlooked. Very good.

I’ve felt, having never played flugel enough to get used to it’s less than stellar intonation quirks, that extra-deep cups exacerbate tuning problems, and that modest sized mouthpieces allow one to play in tune a bit easier. I had a Benge 5 flugel; notorious for intonation problems, but a modest sized cup certainly helped.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a shew flugel piece is a great piece for getting what pretty musch everyone really wants out a flugle. Fluffly sound with definition, and enough articulation and projection to play written parts reliably and automatically, just switching from trumpet in 2 bars and coming in comfortably. And then playing 4 choruses of jazz in a big band with or without a mic. Great mouthpiece. About as deep as it can be and still do all of this stuff
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Flugel mouthpieces Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
This is my opinion on the flugelhorn mouthpiece selection ... These are the reasons I advocate a medium cup depth on the flugel. A extreme deep mouthpiece certainly gives the dark sound some like but in actual performance conditions that makes life more difficult.

I'm also a fan of medium cup depth flugelhorn mouthpiece. For me, a deep flugelhorn cup (like the Curry FLD) is harder to keep in tune. I currently use a Yamaha 13F4, which has a similar rim to my Bach 6C trumpet mouthpiece.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanM wrote:
Tony, great thoughts that might often be overlooked. Very good.

I’ve felt, having never played flugel enough to get used to it’s less than stellar intonation quirks, that extra-deep cups exacerbate tuning problems, and that modest sized mouthpieces allow one to play in tune a bit easier. I had a Benge 5 flugel; notorious for intonation problems, but a modest sized cup certainly helped.

The Benge 5 Flugelhorn is hardly a worthy candidate for judging flugels on the whole. No amount of practice is enough to overcome THAT horn's problems.

The Kanstul-made flugelhorns I've owned have all played in tune with whatever size cup I used, except for my 1025 with a modular Kanstul mouthpiece, which was too long and could not be brought up to pitch.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may not be germane to your search, but perhaps of interest as you look for mouthpieces. When I was trying out flugelhorns, I had a large Morse taper mouthpiece (ACB). When I purchased a flugelhorn (which I wound up doing based on the sound I heard, unable to try more horns during the pandemic), I wound up with one that uses a small Morse taper. The horn came with a Bach MP, which was much lighter weight than my ACB one. I tried it for awhile then ordered an ACB one with the proper taper, but it was also a good deal lighter than the same sized one I had with the large taper and I was not fully satisfied. So I finally got a Taylor mouthpiece. All three are the same rim diameter, but the Taylor has the most heft. I like the sound the best too, but it is interesting to play all of them because each creates a different feel. I could see different uses for them, particularly the ACB and the Taylor (not so much the Bach), depending on what I was playing.
I do not know if it is just the Taylor flugelhorn I have, but it seems to give me a fuller, richer sound as the mouthpieces get heavier.
So just a point on the graph when choosing.
On a Yamaha 631, I really liked the ACB mouthpiece. Again plenty of weight in the large taper version.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that flugelhorns are very mouthpiece sensitive. When I played the Yamaha 631 G, I found that the Warburton deep cup worked the best. I also have the Flip Oakes Extreme flugel mouthpiece which has a great deep, fluffy sound which I prefer. However, the slots pretty much disappear make moving around the horn precarious. But those whole notes...wow!
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@cgaiii: Which Taylor mouthpiece are you using? I'm using the ML on my Phat Boy and it's the only one I've tried so far (Wick 3FL, Carol 3) that complements the horn the way I want it to.
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha 13F4 is very similar to the shew Flugel mouthpiece, just a touch deeper. It’s my mouthpiece of choice, but the 14F4 is also a solid option.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: