• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Started with a Whisper..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Started with a Whisper.. Reply with quote

Hello BE Explorers.

When Jeff wrote a week ago about players gravitating towards either RO or RI it made me realize that I was indeed gravitating towards RO simply cos I could do it better - time to focus more on RI I decided.

My RI never been much. Ko in our zoom training video 150 days ago (which I unreservedly recommend for any new BE explorer..) made the valid point that my RI resembled too much my nornal set up. This morning I read this old post from Jeff:

Jeff wrote:
Quote:
A hiss is a hiss.
A squeak is a squeak.
A buzz is a buzz.
A hiss is like wind whistling through a crack.
A squeak is a high-pitched sound similar to the sound made when releasing air in a balloon while the opening is stretched.
A buzz is the sound made when more of the full lips are engaged.
You don't need to buzz or even squeak the lips to get RI to work. As it says in the book, the hiss is most important.

So I decided to forget the squeak. Go for the hiss. For 10 minutes - I was playing whisper tones. Not something I had done before and not my intention now. I was just focusing on hiding the red and keeping the lips apart - thinking air whistling through the cracks.. Then without trying the RI started to kick in.

BE Gladiator Michael from NZ used to mention his 10 or more RI phases of development - this has been one stage for me - so if the whisper helps anyone out there .. great!

cheers steve
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, a couple of things.

When I said that players tend to gravitate more to either RO of RI, the basic reason was that they were experiencing more progress by doing so. Choosing progress is different from choosing to stay stuck on one because it is more comfortable.

That said, I think that your motivation to improve the weaker area is fine.

In addition, the term "whisper tones" is used in a different context in trumpet pedagogy. It is a technique advocated by Dave Hickman to improve soft attacks, and to improve response in general. The air hiss in BE is not restricted to a soft attack. In fact, the emerging note can be fairly loud.

Hope this clarifies a bit. I always appreciate your comments.

Jeff
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff.
Thanks for the heads up. I think we can safely agree what steve knows about trumpet pedagogy can fit snugly on the back of a penny black.

Hitting nice RI top C s today. And loud and clear.

Right now I am in a purple patch. I said to my No 1 fan yesterday "I,ve have never been playing better than today" and that was the 3rd time I'd said that in the last 10 days. In 155 days BE has transformed me from a cheek driven player with lips as side passenger and bags of frustration to a someone who now dreams of actually doing the trumpet justice... one day..

Hope you're staying well and positive. Helsinki seems fairly relaxed still re 2nd Corona wave but one of my boys just started Engineering at Glasgow University so he is in the thick of it all but still seems to be enjoying life.

cheers for now Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: