• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

One last BE question confirmation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: One last BE question confirmation. Reply with quote

I've been under the impression that the first playing you do in the day is BE. And that you use the order that's written in the book. Simple.

I've just spent over half an hour searching this and have come up with a lot of procedures different from what I just related. Did I miss, or forget, something in the book? Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: BE as warm up and order of exercises? Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I've been under the impression that the first playing you do in the day is BE. And that you use the order that's written in the book. Simple.

I've just spent over half an hour searching this and have come up with a lot of procedures different from what I just related. Did I miss, or forget, something in the book? Thanks.

I began the BE by closely following the book - but much later found that my lips did need a more thorough warm up period. But that´s me.
Today I play the first of the Laurie Frink warm up studies, then move on to RO 1 - followed by RI 1; then a certain portion of the Frink 2 and so RO 2 followed by RI 2 and so on. But when I have reached a good base level, as in the middle of a play season, I begin with Frink 1 then play RO 1/RI 1 + RO 2/R2 then RO 3/RI 3. RO 4 is the part that seems most difficult in my case.
Also when that level is reached I begin the RI at E above high C etc.
But - you´ll have to watch out for the daily variations; someday my lips seem more stiff so more relaxation is needed, can´t begin at that E etc.
The RI:s are quite strenous; also functioning as a "gauge" of the state of your lips. Presently I feel rather strong, noticing that my lips have ample strength even in the middle of the RI3. Not so in the middle of the summer!
And - I try to apply mr Smileys ideas to most studies - like always making them progressive (beginning with valves 123 then 1-3 etc working upwards -as with Colin´s advanced etc). Snapping, TOL etc etc.
Works for me.
Hopefully I do not commit heresy.....
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just responded to this in a recent email:

For best results, students should practice the BE exercises every day.

By "BE exercises", I mean the main exercises including HTE, Crescendo, TOL, RI, RO, and ALS. Where RI, RO, and ALS are placed in your routine is the main variable. And that variable is determined by how much progress you experience by doing those exercises, particularly RO and RI. Some players will feel more success using RO, and vice-versa. Both can still be done, but one will usually be weighed more than the other.

Players who gravitate more to RI exercises start their day with RI. Players who gravitate to RO exercises either start with RO, or do the core exercises (HTE, Cresc, TOL) first, and then do RO sometimes afterward. When RO gets advanced (up to high C on RO #4), RO can be alternated with ALS every other day.

Jeff
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, folks.

I have two other questions:
1) What is HTE?
2) I thought the exercises were sequential not accumulative. Which is it?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume HTE is Hold Till Empty. But then we should wait for Master Smiley to enlighten us.

(That was not meant to sound sarcastic)
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike is correct about HTE.

Plus, virtually all the BE exercises are accumulative.

I answered this in more detail in a direct email to you, kehaulani.

Jeff
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, Sir.

I don't know how, but somehow I got the impression that when you finished one exercise, you followed on with the next one (only). But instead, when you finished with a first exercise, you added the next exercise rather than replacing it.

So that you are eventually playing exercise 1 and 2 and 3 etc., correct?. Thanks, again

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lesson plans in the back of the book are pretty explicit.

On page 140 for example, RO 1-4 means that you do them all in a single session. You don't get good at one then abandon it for the next. You play one THRU four.

Not sure how you interpreted it differently.

Jeff
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BE Explorers..
Here is an old post (when Ko was very young) about order of BE exercises..clearly what is great about BE is it gives you freedom to find the right BE mix for you and this could/will / change over time I guess. After reading this thread I have decided to spend more time on the crescendo exercise.. I don't quite see the point of it but if experts swear by it I should and will give it a go and see..

Steve' 10 second rule.
I have an old tuba in my pub (read converted garage) with a bucket of a mp. I play on it for 1 minute for fun. I then pick up the trumpet and the mp feels incredibly small. My point ? The brain has an amazing ability to remember the last 10 seconds and forget the accumulated history of experience. (Maybe that's one secret of evolution!) For this reason sometimes I go straight from a hard RI or RO exercise to playing music immediately. By the same logic at the moment during the day I favour interval sessions: short bursts of BE followed by playing music as opposed to one big daily BE session..

cheers for now and hope you have a nice week end Steve

Ko writes

Quote:
As some of you already know from previous posts or personal contact, I've experimented with the focused warm-up. The main order change I made, was to start with the roll in excersises instead of the roll out. Physically, I found them the most demanding for a very long time, so I wanted to start out fresh on those, as that would make it easier to make my lips remember the movement.

However, I've shifted the order back again recently. I reached a point at which I got my roll in more or less stable, finally. Top of the staff G is now always there in that position. As happy as I was with that, I did reach a plateau again. After a bit of experimentation, I found that the other excersises (hold till empty, crescendo, tongue on lips) gave me better results if I did them before roll in and after roll out. (Exactly as it is suggested in the lesson plans, by the way.) Before, I wouldn't be able to do any roll in in this order, but now that I am more stable, I can play them at the end of the warm-up with not much trouble. It's still demanding, of course, but I have enough strength now to keep it in place. This gives me a much higher overall benefit of the warm-up, as the lips are not yet very tired of doing the roll in.

So, to summarise a bit, I found it very useful to work on the roll in first, but in the end, when the basic range of motion excersises are more or less stable, I believe that the order suggested in the lesson plans, how the excersises compliment eachother, gives the best results, although I'm aware that not everyone will start out the same way.

[
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve0930 wrote:
I have an old tuba in my pub . . with a bucket of a mp. I play on it for 1 minute for fun. I then pick up the trumpet . .

Is it possible that this begins your playing day with a relaxed embouchure and serves the same purpose as in Pops McLaughlin's purpose of starting off the day playing a Digeridoo?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: