• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Which is the best C trumpet for a College Student?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joseph4885

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Which is the best C trumpet for a College Student? Reply with quote

Last edited by Joseph4885 on Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trombacan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't go wrong with a Yamaha Xeno (or Artist models if you afford them) or a Bach Strad. Talk to your teacher for suggestions that might best suit your playing (and your budget)
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Which is the best C trumpet Reply with quote

Hello Joseph,
Welcome to the TH. Your trumpet prof will give you some ideas, but it just may come down to money on what you can afford. Used, the Yamaha 6445 would be a great place to start. They are older and not as expensive as the new models. If you are looking for a Bach, I am partial to the 229/25A model. I was turned on to a friends early 80's horn. It played nicely, so I went out and found one. I am sure that there will be some modified horns available with some miles on them. I currently play a Schilke, but even used they might be more money. Personally for resale, I would stick to the first two. You will need to save a little money for a piccolo also. you will be spending more cash for one of them...At least for your second year of study. Realize that most schools do have horns to borrow depending on availability. Might be another question to ask the prof. along with what is the expected repertoire for the first year. I would certainly buy used until you really know what you want out of a horn.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "standard" choices would be a Bach Stradivarius with a 229 bell or a Yamaha 8445 C

Slightly more expensive choices would be anything from Shires, Yamaha 9445 Artist series, Bach 190 series (190 229 Mike Sachs signature).

I would limit your options to what players in major orchestras are using. Orchestra playing is so specific that you don't want to stand out from the crowd.

If you're looking to save some money, keep an eye out for "open box" and "demo" trumpet sales from large retailers around this time of year through new years. With no trade shows this year, some places might be willing to sell their demo stock at a discount. Finding any of the above gently used will also be a great way to save some bread.
deleted_user_48e5f31

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: C Trumpet Reply with quote

Deleted by dfcoleman

Last edited by deleted_user_48e5f31 on Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby is right, search out demos. I got two super Bach Bbs that way. My college C was a Bach 180 cml, very fine. I now use a Schilke C7.
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Work with your teacher on picking out a used Bach or Yamaha. Good luck! jw
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that you are a performance major, what does your teacher/professor recommend? That's an important consideration.

As far as manufacturers go, I'd start with Bach, Yamaha and Shires. Model is a personal preference, but I really like the Bach Chicago, Philadelphia and Artisan models, the Shires 401 and 4F, and the very expensive Yamaha 9445NYII.

You are looking for the horn that best helps you to achieve the sound you want. So, while what someone else plays may offer you useful direction, it is what works for you that matters.

Thus, you might also consider Getzen, Larson, Powell, Schilke (S/SC models) and Van Laar. They make fine C trumpets. I've played C trumpets from other manufacturers as well, but just didn't find a model that I liked so have not listed them.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: