• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Endurance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBB1976
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Endurance Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I'm playing in a socially distanced Wind Band which is nice.
I can play the parts, but the trumpet is on my face for 2 hour rehearsals constantly! Any practice suggestions for this kind of endurance??
Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Best
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do part swapping - in that kind of situation there's no need for bleeding heroes.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Do part swapping - in that kind of situation there's no need for bleeding heroes.

Jay's suggestion is a good one, as is the one in his signature about the mouthpieces.

Don't go all out during a practice session. If they need fortissimo, play forte. If they need a spectacular improv solo, just play a great one. If the whole section is playing afterbeats to a bass, agree with the player next to you to alternate playing every 8 bars. Play stuff an 8va bassa if needed. And if your conductor complains, tell them that rest is just as important as the actual practicing, and promise to go all out during the concert (if and when that happens).

Also, if you cannot rest during the rehersal, consider taking the next day off from practicing to give your chops some time to recover.
BBB1976
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:26 am    Post subject: Endurance Reply with quote

Thanks for suggestions.
It's not possible to swap parts due to covid.
So, am playing 1st and was looking for more practical ideas.
For example, am doing an Arban routine - taxing the chops and then resting. Practice ideas?

Best
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to trumpet-endurance, it's just the same as endurance athletes.

Spend most of your practice in a super comfortable zone (at least 80%). Only 20% or less should be spent really trying to push your limits.

Then, mitigating the time on the horn surrounding rehearsals. So if a rehearsal is on a tuesday, I'm going medium on sunday, light on monday, and basically no more than 5 minutes out of rehearsal on tuesday.

If you have many rehearsals a week then it's harder to really "increase" endurance like you would in an off season. But (assuming all things are perfect in your production) in order to increase endurance on the horn, you need to be meticulous about the amount of time you are spending it and be striving to increase it about 10% in minutes per week.

Stay as fresh as possible and never really get "fatigued." Sometimes it's really hard to come back from fatigue. Do the same in rehearsal. Rely on superior resonance, quality, and intonation to really magnify yourself over the band. But play nice and easy through rehearsals as well.

Many angles to take on this, but combining increasing quality, increasing weekly time, but mitigating time on horn leading up to rehearsal is the way to go. No secret bullet.
Kumara999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:59 am    Post subject: Swapping Parts Reply with quote

Why would it not be possible to swap parts? In my band we all have all parts printed off - so if need to switch from 1st to 2nd its already in your folder - no need to hand off the part.
Heather
BBB1976
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:36 am    Post subject: Endurance Reply with quote

Good one abontrumpet!
I like what you say about staying fresh also.
Yeah definitely nice to be playing during these times!
As I say, not having a problem with playing the parts, but just need to keep shedding!
Have had lots of really fantastic suggestions privately, so thanks folks. Indeed, I really appreciate the inspiration!
Am off to practice my Arban etc.........
Stay well everyone,

Best
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endurance is not a single thing.

If you're playing the first book, you've already had some success. So now iit's a matter of being smater and more efficient.
You brushed off the idea of part sharing - that's not smarter. Come up with a solution not an excuse. Copy a part, a page, a few measures, give it to your #2.

Learn where you can lay out, many band part have significant unison or nearly unison sections-a great time to take the horn off your face.
Find those places that you can "cruize". - play with a minimal amount of effort - drafting like a racer will do at times.

I really don't think during a two hour rehearsal the horn is on your face the entire time. Either way, stop playing unecessarilly, warm-up just enough, don't practice before or during, don't play the whole time the director is warming up the band, take a bathroom break, when the conductor is working with the woodwinds - rest / stretch / have a drink of something (light tea, lemon water, etc something to keep the juices flowing)
Prepare your music, the better you know the material the more you will relax and play more efficiently.
Make sure during breaks and rests that the horn is truly OFF your face. REST.

In your practice schedule, train like an athlete. Build a plan that covers several days: A max workout day followed by a lite day that then ramps up to another max day. I like a 3-5 day cycle. You can't have max day after max day, there is no time for the muscles to recover and rebuild.
Then if you know you have a killer rehearsal coming prepare for it.

Then endurance is not all about muscle strength. I actually think it's more about efficiency - working smarter not harder. As you get better you do the same amount of work with less effort. Practice, practice, practice.

Specific books or drills??? all of them, done well/properly
You want a work out? Pull out a bunch os Sousa marches (solo cornet parts), start at the top and keep going, all repeats, only break long enough to turn the page(s).

Be generally in shape (exercise more), and HYDRATE... the body in good working order.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Endurance Reply with quote

BBB1976 wrote:
Hi everyone

I'm playing in a socially distanced Wind Band which is nice.
I can play the parts, but the trumpet is on my face for 2 hour rehearsals constantly! Any practice suggestions for this kind of endurance??
Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Best

Hi!
How old are you? Not meaning to be rude - but I think this matters!
One of my bands is a Brassband - I play first row cornet=horn on lips most of the time; when I was younger (much younger) 30 minutes a day mostly doing Colins Lip Flex + practicing difficult licks was OK. Now, 80 - I have to practice at least one hour lip time; preferably more....Laurie Frink 1-5 interfoliated by BE studies - RO + RI:s -the latter a formidable way of acquiring endurance. Lip flexing very good! And - important - the practice time must be divided in parts - 20 minutes or so then out, rest until your lips feel sufficiently soft again (awareness of this is important). 3- 4 times a day. But thats me.
Nothing beats practicing - all registers. No shortcuts
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. I forgot to mention TONE & PITCH.

Work on having a good tone and good pitch, both help each other and will also help your endurance.
If you're constantly adjusting pitch, you're working harder and you won't last as long.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Endurance is not a single thing. Then endurance is not all about muscle strength. I actually think it's more about efficiency - working smarter not harder. As you get better you do the same amount of work with less effort.

This.

Play exercises with strict form and minimize embouchure movement. Check out Hickmans book on power range and endurance or you could go with the old standbys Clarke, Irons, and Systematic Approach. John Mohan has a post about his comeback routine on here that is basically what he showed me. It works.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a trumpet hobbyist, my endurance "tricks" for building stamina consist of (1) practicing with a large throat mouthpiece and rehearsing and performing with my "normal" mouthpiece and (2) using a Warburton P.E.T.E. regularly to build strength in my embouchure muscles when I know that I have strenuous parts to conquer.

(1) Large Throat Mouthpiece: I regularly practice on a Flip Oakes XT Extreme Trumpet mouthpiece that has a huge throat (#11 Bore) and that forces me to work much harder to keep my embouchure "tucked in" to keep a good foundation. Then, I use Flip's O mouthpiece or C mouthpiece (#26 bore) for rehearsing and performing. I play only Bach 1.5 size rims (i.e., 670/1000" or 17mm rim) for consistency of vibration area. Presently, many mouthpiece manufacturers now have a method for ordering larger throat mouthpieces, especially on their symphonic models. I suspect that you can get a similar stamina benefit from using a #20 or #22 Bore during practice then switching back to an efficient #26 or #27 bore throat for rehearsing and performing. I had difficulty trying to build "efficiency" on my regular mouthpiece, because the resistance of my regular mouthpiece prevented my embouchure muscles from having to train harder. By training hard on the XT, I had all the power and stamina that I needed when I switched to my normal mouthpieces. I disagree that stamina and endurance result from merely learning the skill of "efficiency". For the most part, I can come back after a long vacation and hit within a few notes of my max range, because I have learned the skill of hitting high notes. Conversely, ask me to play for 4 hours nearly continuously after a long vacation, and there exists no way that I could do it. Like in sports, you earn stamina and endurance through rigorous training. If you cannot build stamina and endurance, then there exists something wrong with your fundamental technique. In Trumpet playing, this usually means excessively pressing (the blood supply out of your lips), upper body tension in one's throat or upper body, or weak wind system support from your gut.

(2) P.E.T.E.: One can use a P.E.T.E. in a number of ways to build one's embouchure muscles, as it has both a small end to focus on your embouchure aperture strength and the disk end to focus on your "pulling/holding" strength against the air flow. Simple biology: trained muscles with more white and red muscle fibers have more strength and endurance.

Over the 10 years or so that I played with a local community college wind ensemble, once I learned these tricks, I had superior endurance and stamina to nearly all the "young guns" who played with me in the 3-4 hour rehearsals, despite aging beyond the half-century mark myself.

My $0.02.
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of great advice here. I would just add practice alot. As in 4,5, 6 hours a day. jw
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just offering my two cents: I'm not arguing with anyone else's results, but personally, I've never found that physically oriented things like switching mouthpieces, or changing gear, or strength building exercises (PETEs, or loud drills, or bending exercises, etc.), or dramatically increasing my playing time did anything helpful for me. (And goodness knows I've tried all of them at many points in the past, and I probably will again in the future.)

I'm not saying others are wrong - they may be right for themselves, but for me, I think all of my improvement in endurance since I was out of high school, like truly 100% of it, has come from learning to be more efficient. If you're already efficient, adding strength might add to your endurance, but if you're not efficient, and are burning through too much energy for too little results, increasing the amount of energy you have available to you won't make a meaningful difference.

Simply spending lots more hours might indirectly teach you how to play more efficiently, but my experience has been that dramatic upswings in practice time left me in the short term with a gratifying (but misguided) sense that I was really doing good work, but in the long term tired and bent out of shape, and without real progress to show for my efforts.
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something to learn pertinent to the question posed by the OP, watch starting at 13:45. The whole video is very much worthwhile. This is George Vosburgh's interview with Monster Oil.

https://vimeo.com/253800020
Bach Strad 43 Sterling Silver Plus
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either there is a degree of exaggeration here, or you need to find a new band.

If you have a rehearsal with no resting for an entire 2 hours, it can’t possibly be a rehearsal. Sounds like a nonstop run through of music.

What a useless thing to do. Does your conductor not stop and work on passages that need it? Or are ALL the other sections so perfect they don’t need attention? Seems to me that the musical direction of the band has a few questions to answer if things are as you describe.

I know that after a 2 1/2 hour quintet rehearsal I am toast, or approaching it. I am certainly not playing nonstop, and at times will take it easy. We also stop discuss, work in smaller units, etc. Still very tiring.

So I would chill about this and consider why you have to work so hard.

Cheers

Andy
BBB1976
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Endurance Reply with quote

To Brian James

Thanks for your link on Monster Oil!
Great video, with very practical tips. I really related to it when I've played sessions/shows - you definitely have to practice with the correct preparation in order to do a good job!
Man, I think you have just got me hooked on Monster Oil!
I see there are many artists - anyone found any particular helpful videos?
Thanks again Brian.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've certainly played with reading bands that just read one tune after another with minimal breaks and minimal section work. Sharing the lead parts helps. Laying out on unisons too. I manage WAY better in groups that have good dynamics and don't play loud all the time. Saving your face when the band constantly overblows is almost impossible.

It's a bit on a non-sequitur but I've done a brass chamber workshop a number of years where you play morning, noon, and night and rarely suffered endurance problems. They reliably observe dynamics and take breaks as often as needed. It helps that it's all brass and they don't take endurance for granted the way orchestras or other mixed ensembles routinely do.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: