• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Penn State TA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nayr42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Penn State TA Reply with quote

I just saw that Penn State has a nice TAship posted, is anyone familiar with Dr. Fitzgerald or his program? This isn't a school that I have considered previously, so I would appreciate any insight.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: TA Reply with quote

Hi, I looked at Penn States website and didn't find it. Can you send a link or exactly what to look up?

Thanks, Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
nayr42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: TA Reply with quote

falado wrote:
Hi, I looked at Penn States website and didn't find it. Can you send a link or exactly what to look up?

Thanks, Dave

I actually heard of it through a mass email forwarded to me by my former teacher at Central Michigan University. The details are as follows:

Some School of Music Assistantship Awards for 2018-19 may include the Bunton-Waller Minority Assistantship for 10 hours weekly $11,430 for quarter-time, or the Trumpet Teaching Assistantship for 10 hours weekly, approximately $10,395 for quarter-time, with duties including performing in the Graduate Brass Quintet and other School of Music ensembles. These grants-in-aid cover the full tuition and fees associated with tuition. Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores from the General Test are not required for consideration of Assistantships and Fellowships for performance applicants.

Duties: Performing with the Graduate Brass Quintet, assuming leadership positions in conducted School of Music ensembles, teaching as appropriate to the area and strengths of the applicant, and/or other service for no more than 10 hours weekly.

Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in music, admission to the Graduate School, and the playing of a successful audition.

Audition: At least 30 minutes (it could last longer) of material comparable to repertoire for an undergraduate senior recital, representing a variety of musical styles. Basic Orchestral Excerpts may be included. Assistantship applicants must audition in the Virtual Format. If an applicant has any questions, please feel free to contact Dr. Langston J. Fitzgerald III, trumpet professor, ljf11@psu.edu or LJFitzIII@aol.com to inquire about the audition requirements and to set up a date/time for a Virtual audition.

Application forms: http://music.psu.edu/prospective/gaid.html
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was one of Fitz's TA's from 2005-2007. He's an incredible teacher, human being, and friend. I can't recommend him highly enough.

The studio was very strong when I was there, and folks have gone on to be great music educators and performers as well. Fitz's bio speaks for itself. I already knew how to play the trumpet, he taught me how to be a musician. And to win auditions.

The ensembles are also great. The orchestra plays major repertoire, usually a Mahler symphony every year (I played principal on Mahler 5 while I was there). The Wind Ensemble is also fantastic...they have a new director who I've heard wonderful things about.

The TA is a good one, high paying, applicable work. Not just making copies. I played in both the graduate quintet AND the faculty quintet when I was there, and just loved it.

PM me if you have any more questions!
Associate Professor of Music
Hastings College
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: