• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Zoom Lessons - getting started

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Zoom Lessons - getting started Reply with quote

I'm about to take the plunge into teaching via Zoom. An advice or insights would be appreciated.
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allow at least double the amount of time to adjust for online settings, and recommend that they have a good USB mic. I had a student recently get a Zoom H2n and it worked WAY better than the built in computer mic.
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be prepared to have your students mess around with their audio settings. Depending on what version of the program they have, there are different options available to adjust. I have found that adjusting the echo correction and background noise removal settings to the lowest settings can really help with distortion and funny volume problems. The latest versions of the program also have a high fidelity music mode. I have had decent luck with students just using the built-in microphone in their computer. The worst luck has been with students with Chromebooks. The microphone is pretty crappy and whatever Zoom client is approved in the locked-down computers provided by the high school has reduced options in the audio settings...
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your input. It will be very helpful.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming this is a one-on-one lecture, this will not be an issue but: if you have multiple people in the line, make sure the ones not talking/playing switch off their micros.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a few skype lessons on the trumpet a few years back. I just used the mic that came with my notebook computer. But back then, for the few lessons I took, that mic worked fine. Mic position was important, and there was too much distortion playing directly into the mic. My sound was best if I placed the mic to my side a few feet away. The only challenge with this was that I didn't always have the best camera angle, depending on where I placed the mic, since they both built-into the notebook computer.

In addition, I am currently taking skype lessons on the piano. In this context, the sound works great using the mic in my notebook computer or phone.

I'm sure you already thought of this. If I was going to give trumpet lessons by skype, I'd find a colleague to test out a few configurations.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have 24 students I’m teaching virtually. For me, and this might I have a lot to do with my limited knowledge of computers, FaceTime seems to work better than zoom, if the student has an Apple device.

Most of my students are middle school, the thing that we miss the most is it’s difficult to play along with the student, as I normally would do during in person lessons.

At least for now, virtual lessons are the only option, at least in my area. I don’t believe they are quite as effective, but certainly better for students than no lessons.

Brad
Mary Thompson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a little bit hard to have Zoom lessons. There can be some problems with the Internet connection, sound and so on. But the current situation requires some efforts. Actually, all this year I try to find some online resources, such as https://phdessay.com/free-essays-on/birds/ to easy the study process. I like such platforms with free essays as they cover a lot of topics, from birds to art. But, if we are talking about music lessons I prefer face to face mode of studying. 

Last edited by Mary Thompson on Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son takes Zoom lessons with a local pro and it usually works fine. We're using a not particularly powerful laptop with an added, fairly new Logitech webcam. The teacher hasn't complained about the quality of the picture or sound. I have noticed that when I use the same webcam for work my picture is as sharp as any and better than most.

The only regular issue we have is that the teacher has more than one wi-fi network and sometimes he has to switch to prevent glitching and lagging. If possible a wired connection is probably a good idea.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Proteus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to your student/s using headphones. Even inexpensive headphones will give you much better sound quality - and therefore you'll hear more accurately what your students really sound like.

Also be prepared for the compression and expansion that's built into laptops and possibly Skype itself to negate much of the dynamics your students may try to play.
Bach Strad 37 Bb (70s)
ACB Doubler flugel
Getzen Capri cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: