• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ever had a lump due to scarring on the top lip? Effects?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject: Ever had a lump due to scarring on the top lip? Effects? Reply with quote

Wondering if you've experienced a hard knot or lump of tissue in the top lip due to scarring/injury and did it prevent you from playing?

To clarify I'm talking about something that's fairly deeply embedded due to a trauma to the lip.

Not asking for myself but curious as to what people's experience is.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Bethmike
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small lump in my lower lip. it is (thankfully) just outside of where my mouthpiece lands. It is slowly reducing in size, but I don't know if it will go away 100%. Time will tell.

Several weeks ago I bit the inside of my lower lip. It swelled up a bit. I bit it again the same day. I put a topical on it (forgot name) and the discomfort subsided.

That evening, without thinking, I practiced. A good solid 60 minutes of actual playing with a number of breaks. Irons, Systematic Approach, Clarke.

I woke up at 2:30 am with pain, and a lower lip that looked like a photoshop of "look at the Hollywood person whose lip enhancement went bad". Seriously, like 3 bee stings.

It took 2 weeks to heal to 95%. No playing. It has been 3 more weeks and I can still see a faint outline inside of my mouth where the bite was (is the wound properly called an ulcer or canker sore??).

I am playing again. The bite mark / wound continues to fade in color. And so far the lump inside is still reducing in size.

Playing is a hobby, not my income, but it has been scary to think I might lose a hobby I really enjoy.

Morale of the story - - PUT THE HORN DOWN IF YOU HAVE A CANKER SORE OR ULCER ANYWHERE NEAR WHERE THE MOUTHPIECE LANDS.
Yamaha 631 Flugel
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ever had a lump due to scarring on the top lip? Effects? Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
Wondering if you've experienced a hard knot or lump of tissue in the top lip due to scarring/injury and did it prevent you from playing?

In a word, yes. In most cases, it might be best not to play, until it subsides as it eventually did for Bethmike.

Tangentially, for those that get canker sores:

I have battled these off and on for years. One doctor told me that it's related to the herpes virus. Another said it can be that, but also, in his experience, a canker-like sore can originate from an abrasion, like biting the inside of your mouth or getting "pricked" by a tortilla chip, and then forming the sore, which has consistently been the case for me. Anxiety can also exacerbate and extend the life of these sores, in my experience. I had more during my college years than any since. At one doctor visit years ago, he prescribed:

Triamcinolone acetonid periodontal dental paste, 0.1%.

It is a (steroid) paste that comes in a small tube. When you apply it, it adheres to the tissue on the inside of the mouth better than any other product I've tried...and I've tried many...and sometimes within a few hours, the pain is gone, and the size of the sore has dissipated considerably. Often within a day, it is gone completely.

I had suffered for days with these things before getting that prescription. When I've run low on a tube, I'll even have my dentist prescribe it if I'm seeing him before my next MD visit.

In my experience, also, an important pH "balancing" remedy for me: eating broccoli...raw or steamed. It is a basic (alkaline) food and helps to balance the pH, which then encourages quicker healing of such sensitive tissue. If my system is more acid-filled (like I think it is most of the time), then it's like those sores just continue to feed off of that acid in my system. (I'm not a nutritionist, which is why I wrote: "...it's like...." Those with more knowledge in this area could maybe chime in.) Eating broccoli always seems to help. A google search just turned up this: "...broccoli sprouts are one of the strongest alkaline forming foods you can eat."

https://vegusjuices.com/acid-alkaline-food-chart/
deleted_user_48e5f31

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Lump or sore Reply with quote

Deleted by dfcoleman

Last edited by deleted_user_48e5f31 on Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Trumptrevol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have permanent lip tissue swelling on my upper lip, looks red and has the outline of my mouthpiece rim on it before my change in embouchure I had very little endurance and because of marching band my endurance would get smaller and smaller each day.
chrisneverve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small bead sized Lump of scarred tissue right in the middle of my bottom lip. I had 7 stitches one summer during high school. There was a small learning curve when I started playing again. There’s no pain when I play and it doesn’t swell or anything. Now it has no effect on my playing.
epoustoufle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ever had a lump due to scarring on the top lip? Effects? Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:

It's not scarring but having a pressure embouchure for years created a "compressed" region of tissue on the top lip. It didn't have muscle flexibility as its job was to just hold firm while I pushed the mouthpiece into it at various angles and pressures needed to manipulate the aperture below.

I wouldn't say it's a solved problem but I'm definitely trying to get it unflattened using Smiley's roll-in and roll-out excercises.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a spot on my top lip, it began as a zit while in college. Being a dumb kid, and also because I was doing a lot of playing as a freshman (concert and jazz band and weekend gigs), I just continued to play on it. it would break open, HURT, and I never simply let it heal. A professor suggested Camphpo Phenique, which finally worked. I do have a permanent mark there, I guess it’s a scar, but it doesn’t affect anything.

I write all this to say that if I would have simply let it heal, rather than playing on it, it would have been gone in a week, instead of being a painful hindrance for MONTHS.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: