• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

solid silver bell

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shermaro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject: solid silver bell Reply with quote

I have beryllium bells on two trumpets and pure copper on my P7-4, and am very happy with them. But I've never played a solid silver bell. Can anybody post about your experience with sliver bells?
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two, Bach Sterling Plus Bb (99%) silver and an old King Silvertone (93%). The sound is great and they play well. Perhaps I'll get a C with silver bell. My other horns are the usual brass bell. I love them, too.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never owned one but tested an ML Bach 37 Sterling for a while. This thing is brutal. Compared to gold brass or brass bells I felt I could play with much more power to an extent that it hurt my ears. I presume that it also projected well. Overall I can see using something with a silver bell in a rock or loud big band setting, especially when amplification is poor or missing. Otherwise, not so much.

I do however like the sound at lower volumes. Quite similar to what I have with my 43GH bell.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
stumac
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have 2 with silver bells, a1930s King Silvertone and a 2020 Jerome Wiss 6/20, both are excellent players with different sound spectrums, I may be able to compare the Silvertone with a similar aged Liberty next weekend.

I believe the material the bell is made from only makes a small difference in sound, the shape of the bell the major determining factor.

Regards, Stuart.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the chance to directly compare 37 horns and still found the sterling bell to be different.
1977 Conn 6B
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unrelated question: is your Wiss horn one of those funky compensated trumpets? As I travel France quite regularly, I always wanted to test his horns.
1977 Conn 6B
stumac
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wiss valve system is not a compensating design, it only has 2 internal passages in the piston, the tubing layout may give the impression of a compensating instrument, one passage in the valve is common to the up and down position of the valve, the flow direction being reversed.

It is the most responsive of my horns, the timbre is constant at all dynamic levels to as much air as I can give it. I have yet to play it in a group as we are just coming out of lockdown, the Big Band is commencing with a limited no of players next week and I do not expect the Orchestra to resume until next year.

Regards, Stuart.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two basic types of silver bells. Schilke and, I believe, Bach bells are seamlessly plated to a mandrel like the Schilke copper/beryllium bells. Getzen is made from sheet silver and formed like a brass bell. I can't tell you anything about tonal differences. Brett Getzen might chime in.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sat next to a guy a couple of times at a concert band rehearsal who was playing a Bach with Sterling Silver Plus bell. It was very uncomfortable for me. I had to adjust my chair so I was somewhat behind him instead of exactly next to him. It was LOUD.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll echo what others are saying here.

About 2 decades ago I had a Stomvi C Trumpet on trail from WWBW. It was a "Maurice Andre" model and had 2 interchangeable bells: a gold plated bell and a solid silver bell.

The gold plated bell played fine and had a nice sound.

I was really interested in the solid silver bell. When I played it, it projected like crazy and was frankly, ear-shatteringly bright and loud - even when I played at what I though was a normal volume and effort.

In the end, I sent it back after my trial. It was a solid horn, but didn't inspire me - though to be clear, that's pretty much how I feel about 99% C trumpets (though I've owned one for about 10 years, and think it might be good, haven't made up my mind).
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Mac Gollehon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid silver bell being one variable of course to the projected sound out front and perceived sound from the players vantage point can be two entirely different things. Live bell ,dull bell another slight difference perceived. I think the larger differences are from shape and flair. Although for sheer velocity it’s hard to beat the King Sterling bells and Schilke copper and beryllium bells. There was a time when many Rock n roll tenor sax players swore by the super 20 sterling silver horns to cut thru electric guitar and bass and louder drums. Hence the beginning of whole new decibel levels.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW my new custom ACB by Adams Copperncius is shipping right now to me with a custom pure handmade sheet sterling silver bell. I'll fill you in on the full details when it comes in but I will say in my years working with so many customers in the shop people are either responders or non-responders to the Sterling. True sheet Sterling can accentuate any artifacts in one's sound from what I have found. I am also 100% positive the amount of tonal colors with a sheet sterling bell is greater than any other alloy I have tried.

Best,
T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: