• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

3C vs. 5B

View previous topic :: View next topic  
annvill
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: 3C vs. 5B Reply with quote

Why do so many play with the Bach 3C and so few with the Bach 5B? Yet the sound of the 5B is clearly superior. The awkward edge of the 5B cannot be an excuse. Maybe too much depth?
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Superiority' of sound often has to do with who is playing the mpc.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

david johnson wrote:
'Superiority' of sound often has to do with who is playing the mpc.

And the required sound for the genre in question...

Or, genres in question - and that's the crux IMHO, the 3C is adaptable to more applications without needing switches.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing a deep kanstul but found it's less flexible. The last few days I've been playing a maurice murphy wick mp. It's shallower but flexible and has great tone. Different from a deep mouthpiece, but also beautiful. I have a 5b bach cornet mp and like it okay, but the bite is pretty intense. I prefer the yamaha e depth mps.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The combination of shape of the rim and the shape of the cup (5B), lends to a darker / fluffier tone with lack of articulation clarity, and weak upper register support. So, on trumpet not a very versitile piece. On cornet could produce a pleasing tone but again the articulation support would come into question. 3C not a very popular choice for cornet - a pretty brilliant sounding piece.

IMO, there are far better choices for either trumpet or cornet, even if you like the feel of the rim.
Retired Air Force Bandsman

Last edited by zaferis on Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally find the size 9 1/2 shoe to be superior, but I have a hard time convincing my friends.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: 3 c vs 5 B mouthpiece Reply with quote

Duplicate

Last edited by jondrowjf@gmail.com on Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 3 c vs 5 B mouthpiece Reply with quote

I agree with previous posters on a trumpet, higher notes were easier on a standard (non-megatone) Bach 3C. The 5 B mouthpiece didn't perform well in the higher range.
I play Bach megatone 3 B, 5 B on my trumpet.Don't see that much difference in attaining higher notes using any of the mouthpieces.
On a cornet, 4 B or 5 B gets the cornet sound, that like. Not aware in playing the cornet, that high notes are my goal.
Switched all my mouthpieces to Bach megatone. I do hear a difference from standard mouthpieces.
Matching up the mouthpiece with the horn is important. On the student horns, I didn't hear the difference. Huge difference on intermediate and professional horns.

Last edited by jondrowjf@gmail.com on Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bach 3C is popular in large part because the rim is comfortable for a lot of players. The 5 rim has considerably more bite which some like but many don't.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'long shank' on a trumpet mouthpiece?
I am not familiar with that, it is a special order? What are the playing differences of 'long shank' compared to the shank size on a standard Bach (or other brand) trumpet mouthpieces?

I find (via google) info about short/long shank CORNET mouthpieces, but we're talking about trumpet here, right.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Description Reply with quote

JayKosta,
Changed it.I agree it was a bad description for trumpet mouthpieces. Not sure if original posters is talking about trumpet or cornet mouthpieces. Since this is a trumpet forum, not cornet, likely about trumpet mouthpieces.
Apparently I was in a cornet state of mind. Long shank and short shank mouthpieces does apply to cornet mouthpieces
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a terrible mess.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 3C vs. 5B Reply with quote

annvill wrote:
Why do so many play with the Bach 3C and so few with the Bach 5B? Yet the sound of the 5B is clearly superior. The awkward edge of the 5B cannot be an excuse. Maybe too much depth?

Thoughts like this are an example of why people don't understand mouthpieces.

There is no superior mouthpiece. There are mouthpieces that work better for each individual.

The biggest influence on a player's sound is the player, not the mouthpiece. This is not by a small margin, either.

The awkward edge might be a plus for some, a minus for others. The 3C has a friendlier rim for most, but not all. The depth might be a plus for some, a minus for others. A deeper mouthpiece does not equal a better sound for everyone, though, obviously, it works for some.

I can play a 5B. I can play a 3C. I sound pretty much the same on both. The 3C (well, the particular mid-90's 3C I played for ages) felt better than a 5B and I sounded a bit better on it. I also played a 1C for a while, but was convinced by my prof that not only was it more work at times, but that my sound suffered from a lack a focus. Frankly, now I play on either a Stork 3C or a Yamaha Shew Jazz.

Generally, players sound better on mouthpieces that fit them better. The idea that one mouthpiece inherently sounds "better" is flawed.

Cornet mouthpieces are another whole bag of worms that I'm not getting into. However, the above 2 statements, still pretty much apply.

markp wrote:
I personally find the size 9 1/2 shoe to be superior, but I have a hard time convincing my friends.

Word. Basically, what I said, but in one sentence.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
napoorsocapo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a BACH 3C Throat 25 .... they say it's a great mouthpiece

Last edited by napoorsocapo on Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
epoustoufle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

napoorsocapo wrote:
I have a BACH 3C 25 .... they say it's a great mouthpiece

I've never heard of anyone who played on one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: