• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Belgium made Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
martysax

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Belgium made Trumpet Reply with quote

Hi all, this is my first post.
I have been playing sax for the past few decades, along with some Doubling on flute and clarinet, but my first instrument was trumpet, along with some time spent on baritone horn.
Due to the lack of sax playing opportunities because of the pandemic, I have had time to pull out the trumpet I purchased used in 1973 and haven’t really played since 1980. I have been spending some time relearning to play it. After a few weeks, I am doing pretty well, but I have been looking at my horn, and wondering about it’s origin. I have included a Dropbox link to some photos.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ubwirzgr0bkcwvr/AAALmahV0ejgbqPMidTM9-ega?dl=0

The horn has “Tone Line Artist” engraved on the bell with a bow engraved above it. It has “Belgium” engraved or stamped where the mouthpiece enters the mouth pipe, which as you can see in the photos, is slightly bent and will need repair. The first valve casing is stamped 592. The valve casing covers on the top and bottoms, the mother of pearl finger touches, along with the finger ring on the 3rd valve slide are all octagon shaped. Some of the tubing appears to be nickel or nickel plated.

The bracing near the tuning slide has unique detail, and is placed diagonally, as are the bracing between the mouth pipe and the tubing leading to the bell.

Lastly, the springs are just sitting loose in the valve casings, not integrated into the valve mechanism.

Internet searches of trumpet photos lean towards manufacturers like Steenhuysen or DePrins.

Are there any historians out there that recognize the manufacturer, and possible time frame of manufacture?
I am not assuming the horn has any great value, I am just curios about it’s origin.
Thanks in advance,
Marty
cdec

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Belgium made Trumpet Reply with quote

Hi, interesting trumpet, as I'm from Belgium.
We had some trumpet builders here, like Persy, but I don't recognise this model.
Curious if someone knows more about this trumpet.

Very interesting find.

Rgds,
Chris
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adams are built in the Netherlands, I wonder if this horn might be related to Adams?

Brad
Roel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://brasspedia.com/index.php?title=Other_trumpets_with_hexagonal_valve_casings

Scroll to "Steenhuysen", I see some design similarities there.
www.presidentsofantarctica.com
www.aachen-bigband.de
martysax

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Adams are built in the Netherlands, I wonder if this horn might be related to Adams?

Brad

Thanks Brad, I took a look at your link, but I found the Adams company was created in 1970. When I purchased the horn in 1973, it was old and had a lot of wear on the lacquer. I think this horn is from an earlier time period. I will keep looking.
Thanks,
Marty
martysax

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roel wrote:
https://brasspedia.com/index.php?title=Other_trumpets_with_hexagonal_valve_casings

Scroll to "Steenhuysen", I see some design similarities there.

Hi Roel, thanks for the link. I think you nailed it! I did see some of these photos in my earlier searching. Yes, some of the parts are exact matches to Steenhuysen horns. I also found De Prins horns having some of the same octagonal parts, but the intricacy of the angled brace near the tuning slide leans towards Steenhuysen.

Because some of the valve case tops and bottoms, the 3rd valve slide finger ring (in my original post, I mentioned the finger ring is octagonal, actual it is hexagonal), and the finger touches themselves appear on more than one manufacturers horns, It makes me think there may have been a manufacturer that made parts and fittings that other horn manufacturers purchased to finish the horns, but I have no proof of this.

The last thing I am curios of is the approximate age of the horn. I am guessing 1930’s ish, but I have no knowledge of how to date a trumpet by its features.

Thanks again,
Marty
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried contacting some of the repair techs from Belgium? They'll probably know...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: