• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha valve problems years

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Shawnino wrote:
Maybe I'm in the minority but I find these Carly threads enormously entertaining. Esp. the stage whispers about the Dealers That Must Not Be Named and the utter gall of instrument makers who perform QC on their horns which renders them Not New.

I think Monty Python's Four Yorkshiremen is the funniest bit ever, but this stuff is pretty good.

I agree, mr. C is now a little upset but he will calm down as soon as he realizes how much fun the Yammie guys had when they kept his horn for five months to teach him a lesson. Could be wasted but I hope not for him.

Leave you to it, comprehension still not a strong point then! xD
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im gonna stick up for delano here he is one of the best informed and knowledgeable members and I value his well thought out and well presented posts although we disagree on some topics.

This topic is yamalloy.

I have exactly the same experience as delano yamaha instruments are fabulous and their quality control is the best.

It is wrong to write off one of the best companies in the industry based on a few problems.

I have no hesitation in recommending yamaha.

However on the topic in question they dont record serial number dates so I dont know how useful it would be to know the years of yamalloy if you dont know the years of the instruments
Selmer Invicta Trumpet
Yamaha YCR 2330II Cornet
Selmer Student Trumpet
Bohland and Fuchs peashooter Trumpet
Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet
Lark M4045 Cornet
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:
Im gonna stick up for delano here he is one of the best informed and knowledgeable members and I value his well thought out and well presented posts although we disagree on some topics.

This topic is yamalloy.

I have exactly the same experience as delano yamaha instruments are fabulous and their quality control is the best.

It is wrong to write off one of the best companies in the industry based on a few problems.

I have no hesitation in recommending yamaha.

However on the topic in question they dont record serial number dates so I dont know how useful it would be to know the years of yamalloy if you dont know the years of the instruments

I don't disagree with your post, but I think the internet empowers and emboldens people to complain. Since most satisfied customers don't get on the internet and praise the normal expected good service/products, the negatives end up getting more weight.

A disgruntled and angry customer is more likely to speak out often and louder, IMO.
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite agree rusty people do have the right to complain and it can be helpful to prospective customers to make issues visible.
Selmer Invicta Trumpet
Yamaha YCR 2330II Cornet
Selmer Student Trumpet
Bohland and Fuchs peashooter Trumpet
Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet
Lark M4045 Cornet
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:
I quite agree rusty people do have the right to complain and it can be helpful to prospective customers to make issues visible.

I often read the negative reviews to see if I am really interested in purchasing something that I have no experience with. I always believed I can sort the wheat from the chaff in the negative claims to see if anything listed will be an issue for me.

However a recent purchase from Amazon ended up with smashed food containers and loose food. The package was not shipped in the usual box, but shipped loose in a bag and appeared to be collected loose items based on the best buy dates.

I entered a review listing only those facts with a little more specific details and the review was rejected for violating the usage agreements. So it makes me wonder how many other authentic negative reviews never make it onto these sites.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valves and lubrication are an interesting topic.

While not a repair tech myself, I've played trumpet for between 30-40 years, taught band for almost 20, and worked in music retail for a place that had a repair shop attached for between 2-3 years. I got to know the techs pretty well and did some minor repairs myself.

It's easy to assume that proper maintenance and a good oil will automatically result in a excellent playing horn with no valve issues. If only this were the case. Also, people assume that if problems arise even when the above conditions (actually or supposedly) are met that this automatically means that the manufacturer is at fault for a defective or deficient product. Again, no.

The reality is that there is another component to this equation, and that is the player. The reality is that the player's personal chemistry interacts with the horn that they are playing, whether that is their hands coming into contact with the plating or lacquer (and possibly causing degradation or not) or their saliva interacting with the valve materials and lubricants. This can have a pretty significant impact on valve performance.

Assuming maintenance is in order - basically, if player + horn + oil = valve issues, then I would advise the player to try another oil, and possibly another after that. Each time, the valves, if not the whole horn, needs to be cleaned pretty thoroughly in order for the oil to be given a clean slate to work with. Oils often do not mix well together, so this is an essential step. It's possible that there mechanical issues with the valves, but this is the case far less often than assumed, I believe. Also, staining, while unsightly, is not an indicator of a problem and is not uncommon - though, on occasion, it can be. Even good techs sometimes have problems uncovering what is causing valve issues - especially if the valves themselves don't seem to have any problems.

Frankly, I've known a few players that can't seem to get certain horns to work properly for them, no matter what. Then they get something else that works fine, and often the problem horn goes on to work great for someone else.

This is not something I knew of for most of my playing career. Mostly, I oiled my valves and went on with my day. They worked great - until they didn't. Then, usually oiling did the trick, until it didn't. Unlike your much newer (much, much newer) Yamaha, mine does date from around the era when Yamaha valves were known to have problems (80's to early 90's). It gave me more of an appreciation for what different oils can do for valves and how the right one can make something that seemed unworkable, completely functional again.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my story , I have a very old 731 flugelhorn with four digit serial number made around 1972-73,the horn plays wonderful with full lush tone great response and is built like a tank , in comparison with newer 731-631 flugelhorn is much better and I am not the only one that says that , the only problem with this horn is the valves, if I dont use it for long time and I don't oil it every day the valves frozen and I have to unstuck them with the old pencil and mpc trick but if I oil them with a good valve oil I don't have problem all day and they never stuck.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
jrpbrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Yamaha Valves Reply with quote

I had a Yamaha YTR-7335 (I think that was the model) that I picked up used in 1987. The first valve would start to hang up a little after about a month of regular use. Worked fine after cleaning it so I guess in the end it forced me to keep it clean. I also had to use the first slide a lot as the F was sharp. I have no record of the serial number.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of a four digit Yamaha trumpet in the 7th serial. I even doubt that there has been an YTR 735 but weird things happen.
jrpbrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Yamaha Trumpet Reply with quote

Probably a 735 then - it's been a long time for this old brain to remember.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: