• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tuning the picc ALSO when to adjust a tunable bell

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Tuning the picc ALSO when to adjust a tunable bell Reply with quote

I'm posting to discuss my frustration with getting my piccolo trumpet in tune. Can anyone share their process?

This is a tunable-bell horn also with an adjustable leadpipe. I'm mainly using the A pipe. Why should I pull the bell instead of just adjusting from the leadpipe?

While there's a ring on the third valve slide, it's not really adjustable while playing. So I'm trying to pre-set the 4th and 3rd slides to get best pitch with some fingering on every note. The first valve slide has a little bit of wiggle room too; I've got it very slightly pulled out at the moment (again, in A).

So is there some sort of procedure I can use. E.g. "first tune open G, then adjust 1st valve slide for F, then 3rd slide for E♭..." or something? I can't ever seem to get intonation to work across the range.

Once we've got it in tune, maybe someone can share the contortions necessary for getting water out of the thing

Thanks
Eric
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an interesting horn. Closest comparison I can give you is my Conn 80A, where its designed to be tuned after the valve section, and you pull the "main" tuning slide to switch between A and Bb.

I think what you should try is pushing the "A" slide all the way in, and tune with the bell. It may or may not work the same leaving the bell in place and doing the same with the Bb pipe, but it sounds like you don't use the Bb pipe much anyways so its worth a shot.
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nltrumpet wrote:

I think what you should try is pushing the "A" slide all the way in, and tune with the bell.

I can't quite do that. The bell can be pulled maybe 5/8", not enough to bring me low enough. The rest can be made up with the leadpipe, of course. My question is, what advantage is there to adjusting after the valves rather than before. Why not just seat the bell all the way and adjust with the leadpipe (which involves one thumbscrew instead of two)?
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Tuning the picc Reply with quote

Hello,
I was going to ask what pic you had, but then saw it in you sig line. So trumpets are compromise instruments and the higher the key, the wonkier some can be. I have been able to some degree, alter tuning with different backbores on my mp. I usually play a Warburton so I can change out backbore tapers. That being said, not all intonation are completely perfect, but I am not a pro player. The orchestra guys seem to have no problem, though I bet they say even they have challenges on different horns. I started with a Yamaha custom in 1976. I seemed to need to use alternative fingerings for some notes. I bought my P5-4 in 1980. I did not need to use as many alternates...depending on the key and work. I have played Getzen and a long bell Yamaha. I would say keep playing your pic until you get to be a better player than the horn and look for another brand. Try as many as you can, then shell out the dough. You get what you pay for on those money horns.
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same piccolo. The advantage is to be able to tune the response, resistance, articulations, and just have more wiggle room. Same advantages as a tuning bell Bb, C, Eb, etc.

My 3rd valve slide ring works fine.....I use it to tune low Ds. Have you tried very heavy grease (like Ultra-Pure Heavy)? My slide binds with typical slide grease/gel.

I tune my horn (with the lead pipe and bell) to get the Cs, Gs, and Fs in tune, then adjust the slides for the little stuff. I adjust the 4th slide to get my low F (concert D) in tune.

These horns play pretty well in tune, and funny thing is, I'm using my Bb pipe for playing on the A side. It's not ideal, but mine didn't come with one when I bought it used. Someday I will have one made, but until then, it works!
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW- it's a good idea to pull the 1st and 3rd valve slides a bit when playing in A- all the way in works fine in Bb but it's same difference (well, probably half of it) as pulling the stop rod assembly on some of my old Bb/A cornets when playing in A. (Yanking the tuning slide also kicks out the 1st, 2nd and 3rd valve slides as well.) Longer open horn via A pipe or lengthening the bell (?) requires a bit longer valve slides in A. Haven't seen a pic with an adjustable 2nd valve slide.

That was the nice thing when I finally gave up my original Selmer pic and used a Kanstul (Besson) P5-4 copy. There were so many alternate fingerings required on the A side that it wasn't a lot of fun to play even if the tone quality was nice. The P5-4 I've been playing now for 30 years is very good in the intonation dept but I do pull the 1st and 3rd slides when going to A. Good luck.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuning the picc ALSO when to adjust a tunable bell Reply with quote

ayryq wrote:

So is there some sort of procedure I can use. E.g. "first tune open G, then adjust 1st valve slide for F, then 3rd slide for E♭..." or something? I can't ever seem to get intonation to work across the range.

Just writing to say that this is a helpful way to put it and would be grateful for such a protocol. I had a lesson with one of the longterm posters on here a while back and he was very helpful at saying 'pull this out' and 'third valve is out a little farther for the lower D," and so on. I improved a fair amount after just the one lesson.

My guess is that in general tuning is one of those things that separates the pros from the amateurs. For instance, I have 2 Cs, a standard one and a pocket one, and my pocket one is definitely more out of tune on my tuner but I can't 'hear' it when playing by myself. If you can hear what's out of tune on your piccolo that's a good start.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pic was frighteningly out of tune using a regular shank trumpet mouthpiece. I found a Warburton short shank trumpet backbore on eBay but contacted Warburton before buying it. Terry confirmed it was a one-off made for piccolo. I bought it and my intonation has improved a lot, even though I have to pull the leadpipe out a little more. I don't know why it works but it works.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawler Bb wrote:
I have the same piccolo. The advantage is to be able to tune the response, resistance, articulations, and just have more wiggle room. Same advantages as a tuning bell Bb, C, Eb, etc.

My 3rd valve slide ring works fine.....I use it to tune low Ds. Have you tried very heavy grease (like Ultra-Pure Heavy)? My slide binds with typical slide grease/gel.

I tune my horn (with the lead pipe and bell) to get the Cs, Gs, and Fs in tune, then adjust the slides for the little stuff. I adjust the 4th slide to get my low F (concert D) in tune.

These horns play pretty well in tune, and funny thing is, I'm using my Bb pipe for playing on the A side. It's not ideal, but mine didn't come with one when I bought it used. Someday I will have one made, but until then, it works!

I also picked up one of these used this past year, adding to a few other piccolos in my collection. Comparatively, I find it plays better in tune than most, including my Scherzer A-Bb that I had for years. Tony Scodwell is behind this design and has explained it just as I've quoted Eric above, that it allows for adjusting blow/resistance on both sides of the valve block. Tony used the same concept in his flugelhorn design with a tuning mouthpipe and tuning slide at the bell branch. This picc is every bit a professional instrument as many of the piccs that I've owned, IMO, so you have a very good instrument in your hands.

Often the trick is matching the right mpc to our blow, and often we have to adjust our blow considerably. Finding "center" is very important, and using a tuner (and believing it!...something we just can't bring ourselves to do sometimes) and/or drones can be very helpful. I have found myself playing slightly higher, or lower, than expected on a given note in order to make the scale even.

One way to improve intonation, especially on a new piccolo, is to play perfect 5ths. Play low C (concert A) and then the G above it. If you're having to lip the G up too much, then you might need to push in and learn to blow the C a little on the lower side of the note. I would start with Open fingerings and gradually go through the 7-fingering combination series as you add intervals to each fingering.

O: C-G-C-E
2: B-F#-B-D#
1: Bb-F-Bb-D
etc.

But I'd start with the first two notes of each fingering, concentrating on nailing the pitch with a tuner (later with drone pitches) through the 2-3 combination to start. We all know that the 1-3 and 1-2-3 fingerings get very wonky, and you'll only need a couple of notes from each of those, anyway.

Oh, and I think they only made 150 of these DEG piccolos, and they may be a collector's item someday.
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the helpful replies, especially those of you who own this exact horn. I worked a little with my teacher on this yesterday and I think it's mostly a matter of spending more time on it, centering, and "believing the tuner" as dstpt pointed out. He also told me to quit using 4th valve for low G/F#; that I was playing those notes too low anyhow. Which frees up that slide for tuning D and C#.
I'll have to try some different grease on the third slide—it wants to rock up ever so slightly when I apply pressure on the ring, causing it to bind.

I also just put an order in with Pickett for a Bb leadpipe, so I'll have a matching set of Blackburn pipes.
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Schilke P5-4 and love the Blackburn A pipe with it. However, the Blackburn Bb pipe would not allow me to get up to pitch. They said I should get a short shank mouthpiece. I did not do that; I use the original pipe instead for the rare times I play it in Bb.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawler Bb wrote:
I have the same piccolo....Have you tried very heavy grease (like Ultra-Pure Heavy)? My slide binds with typical slide grease/gel.

Eric mentions here trying a heavier grease. I had to do the same with my Will Spencer herald bell piccolo that has a trigger to the bell. Will said to try a heavier grease, when I was having trouble moving it, and although it didn't make sense to me, it worked! There's something with the ergonomics and geometry in operating slides or parts (e.g. bell on Spencer) on piccolos that seem to warrant a change from our normal choice of lubricants for larger horns in our arsenal. I'm sure someone can turn it into a Master's thesis or DMA document!

I'm also encountering something else I never would have believed in lapping slides on an older Straub B-flat tpt that sat out of the case for years: the inside parts of the all gold brass oxidized along with the raw (gold) brass on the outside, and lapping and cleaning will only take me so far. My next step is to use a thicker grease, even on the "fast" slides (1st & 3rd) and gradually cut it with valve oil. Pure lanolin has been suggested, so that is my next step. I'm beginning to think that the gold brass has severe porosity, or gained that over time. Someone with metallurgy in their background may be able to weigh in. I just found this article online, which may or may not relate:

http://thescipub.com/pdf/10.3844/ajeassp.2016.91.97

It just seems that the continuation of the binding of the slides "feels like" the lubricants I'm using (and which normally work great on all of my other horns) are being "absorbed" into the actual metal and not maintaining a normal coating. It's all just weird to me.
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been using Hetman 4 "tuning slide oil," same as I was using on the 1st and 3rd slides on my big horns. I cleaned it well and tried Hetman 7 "tuning slide grease" and counter-intuitive as it seemed to me, this did the trick. It's not "fast" but it moves just fine with the pinky ring. Pulling it back in is harder especially if you move it a little too far, but I'm experimenting with placing my ring finger on the end of the slide to push it back.

Side note for other DEG owners; I have a number stamped in the fourth valve slide, wondering if this has any significance or if yours have a number there. Mine says "402".
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
jimspeedjae
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine down for the first time in a while...I think it's a great pic.

Third valve slide still nice and smooth with the ring - I'm fairly certain I'll have used Hetman 5 or 6 on it. Only sticks when it's nearly on the way off the slide - maybe I'll add a stop on it sometime, but it doesn't get anywhere near out that far when I play it.

No number stamped on the slide that I can see.
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
jimspeedjae
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! Now I see it, though mine's a bit more discreet than yours.

Mine just has 2 followed by a small 0 - wouldn't be surprised if someone picked up a lower case letter "o" by mistake.

No correlation to the serial number of the instrument.
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimspeedjae wrote:

Duh, I didn't even think to look. Last 3 digits of my serial are 402.
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ayryq wrote:
I also just put an order in with Pickett for a Bb leadpipe, so I'll have a matching set of Blackburn pipes.

Does Pickett/Blackburn have a pipe in stock for our horns, or are they a custom order? I would order an A pipe from them if they don't have to re-invent the wheel.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawler Bb wrote:

Does Pickett/Blackburn have a pipe in stock for our horns, or are they a custom order? I would order an A pipe from them if they don't have to re-invent the wheel.

I found "DEG" listed on the following page. I don't believe there's any other DEG piccolo, but to be sure I made a comment on the order.

https://www.pickettblackburn.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=161_148_152&products_id=1081&zenid=71sbndrsnjbnf69q0934tpkr22

It's not "stock" - the order said "to be made"
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
jimspeedjae
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ayryq wrote:
jimspeedjae wrote:

Duh, I didn't even think to look. Last 3 digits of my serial are 402.

And mine ends in 28...explains the small "o" and faint stamp.

Or my dodgy eyesight. Take your pick...and it's coming up to Christmas, so feel free to line up your jokes about how I got dodgy eyesight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: