• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

how to play background (pads?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: how to play background (pads?) Reply with quote

I've been playing in a jam session with two horns, bass and drums. We mostly play standards.

With such a small group and no chording instrument, I sometimes want to play some backgrounds while the other players are soloing, or I want to improvise simple harmonies.

Is this what some people call "pads," or does that term just apply to whole notes?

My attempts often fall pretty flat. I try to employ a hint on improvising, i.e. playing thirds and sevenths of chords and trying to find a path through the changes. When I come to a b5 or #11, or other extension, I try to play it.

Can someone offer some other tips or guidance? I have been doing some practicing of this skill using play-alongs, and my fellow band members encourage me to keep trying.

I love the way master improvisers do this, sounding so hip, finding the perfect notes.
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The term 'pad' (at least as I've heard it) usually refers to a sustained chord and these days usually played on a synth. I think what you're attempting to do are more accurately termed contrapuntal accompaniment. It sounds like your basic approach (3rds and 7ths etc.) is the correct one. You can try:

- play along with records and work on constructing these contrapuntal lines against the melodies of jazz tunes.

- use play alongs and practice constructing these contrapuntal lines over the changes of the tunes

- listen to Chet Baker with the Gerry Mulligan pianoless quartet. He's a friggin' MASTER at this....

keith
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing the same thing. Play along with recordings.

But it also depends on what the bass player is doing. There are many backing tracks available.

It also depends on the style of jazz. Remember that it is a language and sometimes too much thought leads you astray. Try singing an accompanying part and see what comes out.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: