• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anyone use "How to Play James Stamp's Warm-Ups"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Anyone use "How to Play James Stamp's Warm-Ups" Reply with quote

I don't have a teacher right now but would like to try diving into the Stamp book. I thought maybe between youtube videos and this "how to" book I might be in good shape. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on this book?
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been working for me for a number of years. Over time my accuracy and consistency improved tremendously.

Check this out, right here on TH: https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are talking about the book by Jean-Christophe Wiener, then it is a useful book, as is Roy Poper's "Commentaries on the Brasswind Methods of James Stamp." Plus, lots of useful info here on the TH James Stamp forum.

If at all possible, get some lessons from someone who studied with Stamp or Poper. They can help you to understand important concepts in Stamp's book that are not always easy to explain in writing -- down to go up/up to go down, etc. Virtu Academy offers inexpensive online lessons with Olivia Pidi and 3-4 other Oberlin grads who studied with Poper.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky enough to study with a Stamp student for a year. I'd be curious to see how they compare.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Tom Steven's "Stamp Warm Ups" book on a daily basis starting with lip buzz, mouthpiece drill and then the basic warm up. Helps me keep in touch with how my chops are at the time I try to return them and my mind to the playing optimum. Really great when I've been beating myself up on a difficult gig. (BIM Edition, can find anywhere.)
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I studied with a Stamp student for many years. As much as I like the book I don't feel that it stands alone and that you really need to go through it with a teacher who can show you how to approach it.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a nice set of threads in this forum, linked through the post "Dissecting Stamp Threads".
picctpt33

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Poper’s book on how to use Stamp is really excellent
mhenrikse
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

picctpt33 wrote:
Roy Poper’s book on how to use Stamp is really excellent

Maybe it is. But Stamp told me he would never write a book because of the interactive way he teaches. For example, he would say, in a slur upward, "subdivide and do whatever you do in the last 16th note before the slur". If you were still going out of center on the lower note in anticipation, he would say slur on the hand signal...then you would hold that note until he heard it sitting in the center without any inflection, up or down...the thumb would go up and you made a perfect slur. If not, you did this until you did before going back to the music with the that slur. Plus he played so much in unison. If it sound like two trumpets, he stopped and corrected that...before a note is missed and way before your chops are dead. That kept you honest. There are all of the little piano accompaniments to his "sheets". They always had subdivision on the long notes, in the piano part. So, the piano kept you in the rhythmic groove. Keep in mind that you tune open e on your Bb to the piano so that your ear never bends up out of the center. Its all about resonance rather than pitch as far as I heard over 2 - 3 years, every week in Glendale. Most of all there was Jimmy's placid face when he played and the occasional "you can be as good as you want to be" comment that accompanied his routines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: