• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Favorite Musical To Play

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gregory Gilmore
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Favorite musical Reply with quote

"Kiss of the Spider Woman" (There's a terrific trumpet solo towards the end of Act 1)
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Boadway shows Reply with quote

I'll admit to hating Broadway shows, at least from a musicians standpoint. Let me cite a few of my reasons:

Key signatures in multiple flats with ascending double sharp notes.
Key signatures in multiple sharps with descending double flat notes.
Cuts on the fly in rehearsal to suit inadequate singers who can't count.
Parts which have been marked beyond recognition.
Music directors who feel one trumpet is sufficient after the Broadway version used at least two (oh yes, cover the french horn cues too).
Where are the reeds? Oh yes, on the synth.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,

In the tour and rental version of Newsies, they literally gave some bari sax notes to the trumpet in the second act, so you have to jump from low G to Bb above the staff. And the trombone is not playing.

Good times...
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Broadway shows Reply with quote

In my (admittedly) limited show playing experience, expecting very small groups to cover very large orchestrations is to say the least, absurd. One show I remember is having to jump from the Bb to piccolo in one bar, and not a slow tempo at that. My wife absolutely adores West Side Story and paid serious dough to see it here in Las Vegas at our grand performing arts center. Not that the stage wasn't big enough for the compliment of dancers, six or eight were on the performance here with the orchestra sitting on vertical risers for the appearance of a larger ensemble. One horn in each section was a bit shy of what should be playing this score. Oh yes, synth re-inforcement made up for that. Sure!

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a glutton for punishment. I've done a number of shows covering multiple wind parts on Bb, flugel, and picc while also covering select parts from the Keyboard II book on my vintage DX7. Le Mis and Cats are two that leap to mind. We're talking children's theater so it's a pretty forgiving environment.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
sapper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many favorites:

In The Heights
Something Rotten
Wicked
Frozen
The Book of Mormon
Drowsy Chaperone
Pippin
Matilda
Hair
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

42nd Street
West Side Story
Music Man
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a few years since I played musicals. Some musicals I liked for the music, some for the story, some both. I enjoyed playing a lot of musicals. A few were torture.

I enjoyed playing Fiddler, Camelot, Carousel, 1776, Man of La Mancha, and Music Man. Those are the ones that stand out in my memory.

I did not enjoy playing Cabaret. What a dark show. And Marat Sade for the same reason.
DickieG64
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chorus Line

Dream Girls

Nice Work If You Can Get It
Kanstul -Charlie Davis pic prototype never produced
Conn 80A Cornet

Taylor Flugle Horn
Kanstul-Charlie Davis Prototype Piccolo-never produced
1946 Conn 80A cornet
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets talk turkey here

There is no reason why any trumpet cornet of flugel player cannot play music in performances for audiences every day if they want to.

I played today and yesterday and the day before.

The problem is not in inflicting music on people it is in inflicting beauty rather than inflicting pain.

Playing through the lockdowns for the last 10 months has really helped people make it through.

The park is only a few minutes away. The mall is only a few minutes away. you dont need to be within 50 yards of anyone to perform for them.

As for the question

Anything lyrical and bluesy.

Today I was playing davenport blues, green leaves of summer, ashokan farewell, some adele, some vangelis, and a few bits and pieces.
Selmer Invicta Trumpet
Yamaha YCR 2330II Cornet
Selmer Student Trumpet
Bohland and Fuchs peashooter Trumpet
Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet
Lark M4045 Cornet
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:
Lets talk turkey here

There is no reason why any trumpet cornet of flugel player cannot play music in performances for audiences every day if they want to.

I played today and yesterday and the day before.

The problem is not in inflicting music on people it is in inflicting beauty rather than inflicting pain.

Playing through the lockdowns for the last 10 months has really helped people make it through.

The park is only a few minutes away. The mall is only a few minutes away. you dont need to be within 50 yards of anyone to perform for them.

As for the question

Anything lyrical and bluesy.

Today I was playing davenport blues, green leaves of summer, ashokan farewell, some adele, some vangelis, and a few bits and pieces.

Good for you, but what are your favourite musicals to play for? The subject of this thread.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Broadway shows Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
In my (admittedly) limited show playing experience, expecting very small groups to cover very large orchestrations is to say the least, absurd. One show I remember is having to jump from the Bb to piccolo in one bar, and not a slow tempo at that. My wife absolutely adores West Side Story and paid serious dough to see it here in Las Vegas at our grand performing arts center. Not that the stage wasn't big enough for the compliment of dancers, six or eight were on the performance here with the orchestra sitting on vertical risers for the appearance of a larger ensemble. One horn in each section was a bit shy of what should be playing this score. Oh yes, synth re-inforcement made up for that. Sure!

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

You are reminding me why the last musical I played was in 1981. Never had to deal with the stripped down pit orchestra. I heard the tales though ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: