• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New leadpipes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beanboy128

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: New leadpipes Reply with quote

Good evening my trumpet friends. I currently play trumpet and bass trombone and I have a question. Can you mod a trumpet to have interchangeable leadpipes like a trombone? I use a Yamaha xeno Bb trumpet and I'm looking into a blackburn leadpipe but want the versatility of using multiple.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search for "modular" trumpets. I think there are a mix of makers. Getzen/Edwards, Spiri, and a few others. It's not totally easy. I think for some folks it's a way of approximating two trumpets in one, but in the long run I think folk just usually go with trumpets (more symphonic, more commercial, more jazz, etc.). There also seem to be two mechanisms. Some have two pipes that you can swap in and out (like on flugelhorn or piccolo) and others screw in using a hex screw (I think).
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with wanting to try new equipment but based on another post where you state your peers are “still tripping over basic notes” it appears you are early in your trumpet career.

If true, it is probably better to take the money and get lessons and focus on learning your way around your current instrument.
Beanboy128

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: LittleRusty Reply with quote

thanks for the reply my dude. I've actually been playing for like 7 years and im late in highschool. This doesn't by any means make a super old and wise trumpet player but im not new. The reason others are tripping over notes is most just really aren't good because said teacher isn't very good. Our lead trumpet last your pimped his trumpet and I'm looking to fill his role. Im close to as good as him I just think the teacher hates that I like jazz more than classical.
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
Search for "modular" trumpets. I think there are a mix of makers. Getzen/Edwards, Spiri, and a few others. It's not totally easy. I think for some folks it's a way of approximating two trumpets in one, but in the long run I think folk just usually go with trumpets (more symphonic, more commercial, more jazz, etc.). There also seem to be two mechanisms. Some have two pipes that you can swap in and out (like on flugelhorn or piccolo) and others screw in using a hex screw (I think).

One of the easiest to deal with modular trumpets is the Stomvi Master. It is very easy to swap out the leadpipe, as well as the bell bow and the bell. If you want a horn that can easily deliver multiple options, these are a terrific horn and worth checking out. You can find them used here on TH every now and again, as well as on eBay and Reverb.
https://stomvi-usa.com/product/master-bb-trumpet-2/
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
Dkjcliff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no expert trumpet tech, but I would think it would be complicated to modify a non-interchangeable lead pipe horn to an interchangeable setup. I own a Getzen Genesis, which by the way is a great jazz horn that you might look into. To accommodate the removable pipe, the top bar on the tuning slide is unusually short. I guess if it were normal length, it would require the lead pipe to be too short from a harmonics perspective. So I would think you would need to have a lead pipe sleeve installed, custom lead pipes made, and a new custom tuning slide made.
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve owned a Will Spencer modified Bach that has both interchangeable bell and lead pipes for about 11 or 12 years. Changes are really easy and made with an Allen key, although both bell and lead pipe need to have the fitting mechanisms installed. Funnily enough for most of that time it’s worn a pretty straight forward Bach 37 bell and MK bronze lead pipe.

Regards,

Trevor
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any trumpet can be modified to take interchangeable parts. Should it be is a bigger question.

There is no doubt that tremendous flexibility in a compact kit becomes possible when you do this. That can make it worth it. However, you need to realize that placement of mass along the raceway, and the couplings of braces and in this case mounts, impact the way the horn responds, feels, and without adjustment, sounds. You need to be a fairly capable player to adjust for the impact of such modifications - and if you wish to not waste a lot of money, you also need to talk with more experienced folks about what tapers pair well together, and with what blocks, so that you don't just wind up with a pile of parts that wont work well in any combination.

I suppose this comes under the heading of everything has its price.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
derekthor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried practicing?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekthor wrote:

Did you miss his response when I suggested this?
derekthor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
derekthor wrote:

Did you miss his response when I suggested this?

No.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Blackburn leadpipe isn't going to help your Xeno. Yamaha is one of the most meticulous when it comes to designing and revising every aspect of their horns. A pipe from Blackburn will probably change the feel but won't improve the horn the way it might for a Selmer Picc. if you want to mess around with changing elements of your setup, get a 2 piece mouthpiece like Warburton, ACB, or AR Resonance and try some different backbores. It will be far cheaper than sending your horn to be modded for interchangeable leadpipes, plus you won't mess up the finish of your horn or have to worry about any of the logistics of sending your horn to a qualified technician.
Beanboy128

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Bruh? Reply with quote

derekthor wrote:

Yo do you realize that equipment has nothing to do with practicing? No matter how hard I blow into that thing it wont change it. I hope this explains and you can get rid of that nasty condescension.
Toodles
derekthor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Bruh? Reply with quote

Beanboy128 wrote:
derekthor wrote:

Yo do you realize that equipment has nothing to do with practicing? No matter how hard I blow into that thing it wont change it. I hope this explains and you can get rid of that nasty condescension.
Toodles

You’ve explained it perfectly. Instead of doing work to achieve your goals you’re looking for a quick fix.
Beanboy128

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bruh? Reply with quote

derekthor wrote:
Beanboy128 wrote:
derekthor wrote:

Toodles

You’ve explained it perfectly. Instead of doing work to achieve your goals you’re looking for a quick fix.

Im sorry, I'm a bit of an airhead. Where exactly did I say i was using this to improve my skills? I recall i was trying to experiment and get some versatility. I'll be waiting for the quote. Thanks!
Toodles
derekthor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: LittleRusty Reply with quote

Beanboy128 wrote:
Our lead trumpet last your pimped his trumpet and I'm looking to fill his role.
Beanboy128

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: LittleRusty Reply with quote

derekthor wrote:
Beanboy128 wrote:

Ah I'm sorry your common sense has left you, I know the feeling. Let me elaborate on what I meant. I'm at his level already, and I've explained previously that my director and I just don't see eye to eye on music. Him and I have the same trumpet so adding a new leadpipe wont change that. As a previous user so graciously explained I came into this knowing it may not make it better per say. I went into it concerning how it feels. I got some helpful answers unlike the petty insults you made and I'm rethinking it. The main pimping I'm talking about it's looks. He got new buttons and all the fancy flashy stuff and I think it looks nice. Sorry that we're back at square one.
You being a douche bag on a legit question post.
Toodles
Beanboy128

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Any trumpet can be modified to take interchangeable parts. Should it be is a bigger question.

There is no doubt that tremendous flexibility in a compact kit becomes possible when you do this. That can make it worth it. However, you need to realize that placement of mass along the raceway, and the couplings of braces and in this case mounts, impact the way the horn responds, feels, and without adjustment, sounds. You need to be a fairly capable player to adjust for the impact of such modifications - and if you wish to not waste a lot of money, you also need to talk with more experienced folks about what tapers pair well together, and with what blocks, so that you don't just wind up with a pile of parts that wont work well in any combination.

I suppose this comes under the heading of everything has its price.

Thanks for the reply. You've given me some valuable insight.
derekthor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: LittleRusty Reply with quote

Beanboy128 wrote:
derekthor wrote:
Beanboy128 wrote:

Ah I'm sorry your common sense has left you, I know the feeling. Let me elaborate on what I meant. I'm at his level already, and I've explained previously that my director and I just don't see eye to eye on music. Him and I have the same trumpet so adding a new leadpipe wont change that. As a previous user so graciously explained I came into this knowing it may not make it better per say. I went into it concerning how it feels. I got some helpful answers unlike the petty insults you made and I'm rethinking it. The main pimping I'm talking about it's looks. He got new buttons and all the fancy flashy stuff and I think it looks nice. Sorry that we're back at square one.
You being a douche bag on a legit question post.
Toodles

You’ll never be a lead player with skin that thin.
Beanboy128

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: LittleRusty Reply with quote

derekthor wrote:
You’ll never be a lead player with skin that thin.

Do you need to lie down? You aren’t making sense
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: