• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Thoughts on the Shires Q-series C Trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rschuler84

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:56 am    Post subject: Thoughts on the Shires Q-series C Trumpets Reply with quote

Hello All,

I'm looking for opinions on the Shires Q-series C trumpets, models Q11RS (reverse lead pipe) and the Q13. Any personal experience that you can share on these horns is great appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are solid playing and sounding instruments. I have a couple students that have gone this route - so far a great choice for them.

I prefer the standard leadpipe. For me the reverse setup edges the top end a bit too much / probably in combination with one less brace.
If you're looking for blow and a commercial horn, I suggest the Destino III
Retired Air Force Bandsman
scott1860

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Shires Q Reply with quote

I had the opportunity to play the straight leadpipe and reverse pipe for the Q series Bb and C. I really liked them all. The Bb with the reverse leadpipe was exceptionally nice. I was taken by the very quick response and good intonation. Both C trumpets played very well, average intonation for a C, but seemed like the sound was a touch dull. I will admit, I am a Bach fan, at least a fan of the Bach sound. The QR Bb came the closest to the sound and response that I am after. I have a student that bought the standard leadpipe version Bb. She sounds great on it. Intonation is good and her sound is nice and resonant. The horns appear to be built well and after a year, my student has not had any valves/slide issues. I'd say they are well worth the $2500 price point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: