• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

3-In-One as a slide oil?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PMonteiro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: 3-In-One as a slide oil? Reply with quote

I know I could buy some Bach rotor oil and call it a day, but I have a surplus of of 3-In-1 sitting around. It seems to be the right consistency for use on fast slides (1st and 3rd).

I'd like this thread to resolve conflicts in previous threads. On one hand, some people use 3-In-1 as a valve oil(!) without problems. On the other hand, others caution against its toxicity and it not being purpose-made for brass instruments. Basically, I'd like to know:

1. If in its pure form, it's safe for use on brass and won't cause tarnish/damage
2. If it gums up or leaves residue

I don't mind the smell too much, and my thinking is it would be safe in small amounts on slides. Thoughts?
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSDS says to "avoid breathing oil mists", and also to avoid prolonged exposure. Not sure how that compares to other trumpet lubricants.

FWIW I used it many years back and now use rotor oil instead.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use 3&One oil and white kerosene on my valves and Vaseline on tuning slide. Didn't hut me none, but I now use trumpet-specific oils and greases. What is your reason for not using materials specifically made for the trumpet?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: 3-In-One as a slide oil? Reply with quote

PMonteiro wrote:
I know I could buy some Bach rotor oil and call it a day, but I have a surplus of of 3-In-1 sitting around. It seems to be the right consistency for use on fast slides (1st and 3rd).

I'd like this thread to resolve conflicts in previous threads. On one hand, some people use 3-In-1 as a valve oil(!) without problems. On the other hand, others caution against its toxicity and it not being purpose-made for brass instruments. Basically, I'd like to know:

1. If in its pure form, it's safe for use on brass and won't cause tarnish/damage

I don't mind the smell too much, and my thinking is it would be safe in small amounts on slides. Thoughts?

Why?
cheiden wrote:
MSDS says to "avoid breathing oil mists", and also to avoid prolonged exposure. Not sure how that compares to other trumpet lubricants.

Well, personally, I like not breathing oil mists, or having toxic lubricants. I don't even like Holton, because it gives me a sore throat, so you can count me out on 3-in-1.

Well, I can't find a MSDS for Yamaha Synthetic. It doesn't bother me, and I'm pretty sensitive. Lanolin, maybe a bit of Vaseline, maybe a bit of valve oil works for me and Lanolin isn't toxic.

Finally, I have a container of Schilke slide grease. It's small. It's still pretty full after almost 2 years and I have 4 horns I use somewhat regularly. I was going to get a container of Lanolin when I worked in the shop, but that was a lot of Lanolin. Quantity for grease isn't an issue.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drug store Mineral Oil, no smell, no taste, clear, cheap, mixes well with petroleum valve oil if needed.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 3-In-One as a slide oil? Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
PMonteiro wrote:

Why?
cheiden wrote:

Well, personally, I like not breathing oil mists, or having toxic lubricants. I don't even like Holton, because it gives me a sore throat, so you can count me out on 3-in-1.

Well, I can't find a MSDS for Yamaha Synthetic. It doesn't bother me, and I'm pretty sensitive. Lanolin, maybe a bit of Vaseline, maybe a bit of valve oil works for me and Lanolin isn't toxic.

Finally, I have a container of Schilke slide grease. It's small. It's still pretty full after almost 2 years and I have 4 horns I use somewhat regularly. I was going to get a container of Lanolin when I worked in the shop, but that was a lot of Lanolin. Quantity for grease isn't an issue.

Not being critical of the OP, but I don’t understand this sort of question. Oil and grease specifically made for brass instruments is cheap and plentiful.

Brad
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 3-In-One as a slide oil? Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
I was going to get a container of Lanolin when I worked in the shop, but that was a lot of Lanolin.

You can buy a sensibly small container of lanolin at anyplace that sells baby supplies. Look on the shelf where they sell treatments for breastfeeding mothers. That's right,..nipple cream. I usually buy a brand called Lansinoh. It's safe enough for babies to eat it. It's not particularly cheap but a small tube lasts me years and that's with all my horns and my son's.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
PMonteiro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 3-In-One as a slide oil? Reply with quote

The reason why is because 3-In-1 appears to be the ideal consistency for my slides. I'm thinking just a few drops on 1st and 3rd will do the trick. Plus I have a lot of the stuff and was recently given even more. As a practical matter, if I have it available and it works, there's no reason to go buy something else.

cheiden wrote:
You can buy a sensibly small container of lanolin at anyplace that sells baby supplies. Look on the shelf where they sell treatments for breastfeeding mothers. That's right,..nipple cream. I usually buy a brand called Lansinoh. It's safe enough for babies to eat it. It's not particularly cheap but a small tube lasts me years and that's with all my horns and my son's.

This is another interesting topic. Modern "lanolin" creams are treated with HPA (hydroxypropl acrylate), which is apparently toxic and irritating on its own, but not when mixed with lanolin. I'm no scientist, but the "hydroxy" part suggests that the cream isn't the same anhydrous lanolin that many swear by. I considered the creams a while ago, but decided to stick with Schilke grease. But if it works, it works.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3-in-1 and slides is something I never thought about. I spend $15 a year on slide oil. I don't need to economize that radically yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: