• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Masks and Bell Covers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Masks and Bell Covers Reply with quote

I don't recall seeing this topic, but thought it would be here, but I couldn't find anything using SEARCH either

We're doing a concert this week with masks and bell covers, provided by the orchestra.

First the bell covers.... it's EXACTLY the sound I'd want on An American In Paris where Gershwin asks for felt, but NOT what I want to sound like all the time! Has anyone found a bell cover that actually works but doesn't change the sound (or make the horn play quite differently as mine does)?

Now the mask. We've got ones with a vertical slit to slide the mouthpiece through but between my ears trying to hold the mask, my glasses (only used for reading) and my hearing aids, it's not working so well and then there is the problem of the glasses fogging up. It's not quick to get the trumpet in place so for short rests I just leave it in there.

And suggestions for one that's quick to access and has head bands or something that DON'T require it going around the ears?
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to try using a piece of medical tape or a bandaid to "tape" the mask to the bridge of your nose. This should help keep your glasses from fogging up and will hold the mask in place in addition to the loops that go around your ear.

As far as bell covers, I don't know of any particularly good ones. It might even be the case that a thin one won't work as well as a thicker one, so you might just have to deal with the slightly muted sound for the next 6 or so months. It's nice to hear that you're exercising safety when you go outside and play trumpet, and I applaud you for that.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Masks and Bell Covers Reply with quote

DH wrote:
Has anyone found a bell cover that actually works but doesn't change the sound (or make the horn play quite differently as mine does)?

No, on both the first and the second bit.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Masks and Bell Covers Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
DH wrote:
Has anyone found a bell cover that actually works but doesn't change the sound (or make the horn play quite differently as mine does)?

No, on both the first and the second bit.

Same, I'd rather play with a neutral-ish sounding mute for a concert than a bell cover. I'd opt for an aluminum straight mute for the duration.
Moderators
TH Moderator Group

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited and returned to the forum.

Please stick with practical solutions to conditions currently being imposed upon players due to the virus situation. Debating the philosophy or the science behind those conditions opens a political can of worms.

Moderators
mhenrikse
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the answer regarding bell cover depends on the literature that is scheduled. What is it? I'm having a hard time seeing what a mask with a slit in it does unless you could zip it up during the rests.
rjimison

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: masks & bell covers Reply with quote

I play in an Historic Brass Band that has a series of outdoor, socially-distanced jobs now. The client requires us to use masks and bell covers. I purchased these from Torpedo Cases. The masks for brass players have a 2 way zipper in a vertical alignment. This allows the bottom zipper tab to be at a set height for comfort, and the top to open for mouthpiece insertion. Works Great! I did get the 3 ply bell cover and the ‘bag’ type bell cover. The bag system works much better for me on Eb soprano, but the cover is better for Bb soprano due to standing wave formation. YMMV, but for me these are great products! Kudos to Steve and his staff. I think these products are helping Steve and company stay in business in these crazy times. I have no financial interest, but as a satisfied customer of Torpedo for many years, I want them to survive!

Last edited by rjimison on Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhenrikse wrote:
Maybe the answer regarding bell cover depends on the literature that is scheduled. What is it?
for the most part it's all joyful Christmas music.
mhenrikse wrote:
I'm having a hard time seeing what a mask with a slit in it does unless you could zip it up during the rests.
It's not an open slit, it's a vertical slit where one side overlaps the other by probably and inch or two. So to put the mouthpiece in I catch the mouthpiece on the right side of the slit (the overlapping top part) and slide the mouthpiece past the bottom side of the slit to where it touches the lips, and then slide the mouthpiece back into the right position.

I hope that makes sense....
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a glasses fogging problem with masks, too. The only group playing I’ve done during the pandemic was an orchestral recording session for Christmas. We were in a very large room, spaced around 10 feet apart and individually miked. We wore masks when not playing, and had our temps taken before entering the room. It occurred in 4 sessions during October and early November, and no Covid episodes developed from that. A few people used those split masks and a few used bell covers, but they were in the minority.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use cheap plastic mask extenders I bought off of Amazon. I run my mask straps below my ears and use the extenders to hold my mask in place at roughly the base of my skull. This keeps the mask tighter to my nose and eliminates any fogging issues. It's also much more comfortable for extended periods of wearing.
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what we ended up doing....

First, the glasses fogging problem - completely solved. One of the cellist told me to use Dawn dishwashing soap and put a little on both sides of each lens, spread it around, and leave it there. Obviously this has to be a VERY small amount. and spread VERY thin. I just barely touched the top of the plastic dawn bottle, and used it for all four sides and I have to report I have had NO fogging since. The cellist wears glasses all the time so he said he does it several times a day. I only use glasses and a mask at rehearsal and trumpet stuff, so I only did it once and it's lasted several days.

Bell cover - my wife made one if a different material and it doesn't change the sound near as much. I have no idea if ANY bell cover is designed to meet specific qualifications as far as density and aerosol-pass-through. Mine now does have less resistance and doesn't change the way the trumpet plays, but is it not effective anymore? No idea. My guess is that given it doesn't seem like there is that much air coming out the bell that it would do OK.

Mask - the biggest problem with the mask the orchestra provided was that it was just too small. The bottom would never stay below the chin. My wife made me a new mask, designed functionally like the one I had - with the overlapping slit where the mouthpiece could slide in. But two different features - one was the size. It was plenty large to cover my face, go below my chin and fit great. The second was that no straps went behind the ear. She used two elastic straps, one on the top of the mask and one on the bottom. The bottom one when down on my neck and the top one when on the back of my head. This was great and didn't interfere with glasses or anything on my ears.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: