• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How do orchestral auditions work?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumptrevol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: How do orchestral auditions work? Reply with quote

I’m probably going to ask some obvious questions but I’m very curious..

First, do the auditions cost a lot of money? How many people usually audition? Who judges your auditon? Does the conductor listen too? Is there sightreading? Are auditions for EVERYONE or just for the people that have degrees etc. When there’s an opening for a spot, how are people notified and how is the repertoire for the spot listed? Are the auditions biased/unfair? What is the process?(semi finals finals) and how many do they take? Does the judging panel take off points for the brand of horn that you use? If you get the spot is it enough money to make a living(not during these times obviously but)? Are the nearby colleges forced to hire you as faculty etc.? When preparing for the audition, should you listen to that specific cut from that orchestra and adjust your musicality to that(matching the person who held that position)?

Again sorry for the *dumb/obvious* questions I just don’t know anything about the process. Thanks
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of what you’re asking varies from audition to audition. I’ll answer them one by one to the best of my ability.

Getting an audition spot does usually come with a deposit to make sure you show up for your time. It’s returned to you at the audition, or destroyed if you call the orchestra ahead of time to cancel your time slot. Driving/flying to the location and getting a place to stay will vary depending on your location.

The number of people auditioning for a position can vary greatly depending on the prominence of the group or with how much scrutiny they filter through the initial applicants. Could be anywhere from 20-80 people.

The panel will typically consist of the other members of whatever section you’re tying to play in (trumpet, in your case). There will usually be a few other instrumentalists representing other sections, which will most likely include other brass players, but also winds and strong players.

The conductor will be listening, most likely through all of the live rounds, but definitely the final round.

I haven’t had to sightread at an orchestra audition, but it’s not unheard of to have to do so.

Anyone can apply for an audition, but resumes can be turned down for any number of reasons, including not having a degree. You can appeal that decision, and they may let you come, or ask to hear some recordings to support your appeal.

Word of mouth, advertising in the international musician magazine, online orchestra audition listing sights, and Facebook posts are all ways people hear about auditions. I’m sure I missed a few.

Audition repertoire is usually either listed online or sent over an email. They may or may not include the sheet music, but typically will provide any excerpts that aren’t yet in the public domain.

Some auditions are fair, some are not. That’s the reality of it.

Every audition has a different process. 2-4 rounds depending on the organization, and how many advance through each also varies. There can be regular rounds and ones where you have to play in the section with the current members of that orchestra’s trumpet section.

There may be bias based on what model of horn you use, but most rounds are done behind a screen. What matters most is if it sounds good. In a section playing round, it’s important to not only sound good, but to blend sounds with the other musicians, so the brand may come into play there.

Salary will depend on the group, and how far that gets you will depend on the location.

I’ve never heard of a local college being forced to hire someone from an orchestra upon them winning a position. If win a spot, you have an improved chance at being hired if a vacancy comes up at a local college or university.

Your last question is an interesting one. It’s good to not go too much against the grain of any given orchestra’s tradition, but you have to play the way you play best, within appropriate parameters. If I went into a Chicago Symphony audition and my only goal was to play like Herseth, I would definitely come up short because I can’t outplay someone else in the way they play(ed).

Hope this provides some insight!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also important to know that an audition is NOT a competition to determine the 'best player' - it is a 'job interview'. The goal is to find a player to HIRE for long term employment. And usually there is a 'test period' of provisional employment (e.g. a year) before the player is a full-fledged permanent employee.
Some auditions do not result in anyone being getting a position - they might not have found anyone thought to be acceptable.

My understanding is that even in non-COVID 'good times', most players even with major orchestras have additional ways of getting income - private teaching, school employment, etc.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.

Last edited by JayKosta on Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Some auditions do not result in anyone being getting a position - they might not have found anyone thought to be acceptable.

And "acceptable" should not be mistaken for "musically qualified". It can also mean a candidate has the right chops, etc., but just doesn't fit into the section and/or meet the conductor's expectations.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also depends on who you know
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How do orchestral auditions work? Reply with quote

do the auditions cost a lot of money?

Sometimes. depends upon travel and lodging. I typically have tried to drive in the past and get a hotel room.

How many people usually audition?

Not a set number, as there could be pre-screening recordings on some auditions but they try to keep live applicants down to allow two days of prelims and one or two for semis and finals. Maybe 100 or less (typically less for most auditions)

Who judges your audition?

musicians from the orchestra of varying sections

Does the conductor listen too?

Yes, but not until the final round typically.

Is there sightreading?

Sometimes, at the discretion of the committee.

Are auditions for EVERYONE or just for the people that have degrees etc? Anyone can apply to audition, the committee selects who they want to hear.

When there’s an opening for a spot, how are people notified and how is the repertoire for the spot listed? The committee makes a list of excerpts they want to hear, its typically advertised in the AFM journal or by word of mouth.

Are the auditions biased/unfair?

Most if not all auditions these days are blind so the panel has no idea who you are, the screens come down for the finals. Some auditions are completely blind, however. (see second half of next answer)

What is the process(semi finals finals) and how many do they take?

You play your excerpts for the panel and if you advance you keep playing until they don't want to hear you anymore. Sometimes, players/applicants may be auto advanced into the further rounds. This has been a point of contention with many folks who claim that auditions are unfair, especially if that person happens to win.

Does the judging panel take off points for the brand of horn that you use?

No. they have no way of knowing this.

If you get the spot is it enough money to make a living(not during these times obviously but)?

Depends upon the orchestra. Many musicians augment their performing with teaching and other gigs.

Are the nearby colleges forced to hire you as faculty etc.?
No.

When preparing for the audition, should you listen to that specific cut from that orchestra and adjust your musicality to that(matching the person who held that position)?

Depends. If it is a recent recording and all the personnel are the same, your goal is to fit into that equation. Typically, you're not there to try and re-invent their sound. You are there to be yourself and see if you fit into that group. Don't try to sound like anyone except you.
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:
It also depends on who you know

Perhaps in securing an audition. Winning one? Totally different story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: