• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How far did you get in the Arban Manual?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject: How far did you get in the Arban Manual? Reply with quote

I just picked up Eric Bolvin's Arban Manual. It's just what I need to organize my practice. I was just wondering, if you are using it, how many lessons have you completed? I'm on lesson 1.

On another note I got the spiral bound Hooten Arban. It's really good. The print is very clear and Hooten's notes are a nice touch. Have not yet downloaded the sound files.
Dave_3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 1.

Then I got "100 Progressive Lessons for Trumpet", by David Hickman.

Not knocking Arban, but the Hickman manual is more my speed.
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the Hickman book looks good but seemed a bit too "beginner-ish" from the get go.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Arban Manual" is a terrific resource. I don't use it for my daily practice, but have referred to it for ideas from time to time. I've played all the material in Arban a number of times over the years, and still play key sections of it on a near-daily basis. Mastery of the material therein is truly the journey of a trumpet-playing lifetime.

Regarding Hickman's "100 Progressive Lessons," it is also a fine book, but the intent is to prepare one to handle the material in more advanced books like Arban, St, Jacome, etc., rather than serve as a substitute for them.
Dave_3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Arban has been the standard forever, but I had a 47 year layoff, so I figured I better start at the beginning.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave_3 wrote:
Yeah, Arban has been the standard forever, but I had a 47 year layoff, so I figured I better start at the beginning.

39 years off here. When I picked my horn up to start anew, I also reached for Arban, then remembered how junior high and HS repertoire was all Arban all the time. And whatever HS concert material the director picked out. Very little enjoyment out of that diet.

So Arban stayed on the shelf.
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croquethed,

What have you been practicing during your comeback?
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobD,

My expectations were very low when I started. I wanted to be able to play Taps on Memorial Day, Star Spangled Banner on July 4, Jingle Bells at Christmas, and Auld Lang Syne for New Year's Eve. So I had no illusions about becoming Chris Botti.

About 4 months into the comeback I stumbled on the Bb minor blues scale (all that Arban in HS was not accompanied by a second of theory) and that unlocked the box to simple improv. The next Christmas I asked my wife for the big 1200-song fakebook and discovered it was so big because it had songs nobody wanted to play. So I abandoned sheet music more or less altogether.

So the daily routine is now 15-20 minutes of long tones, 5 minutes of lip slurs, 15-20 minutes of minor and major scales and blues scales up to the top of my range (D-Eb, occasional strong E) as quickly as I can play them, then working on songs and famous riffs I have figured out by ear.

I'm motivated to play every day because I love the sound of the blues coming out of my horn. I never got a teacher and never joined a community band. My approach is definitely not for everybody, but when I practice outside in the local school foyer, I get compliments by the folks out doing their exercise walks. Just passed the seven-year mark and still learning more every day.
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croquethed,

That's some good stuff. I find it a challenge to balance fundamentals with learning tunes, transcribing and learning improv. I played sax for 10 years as a comeback player and it was easier to practice jazz and not have to worry so much about fundamentals. I could play sax all day long without a break but trumpet is s different beast.

The blues scales are fun to play. Don't know where you're at but try adding the 2nd and the 6th and do all keys. I remember in high school one summer I had no part time job and I spent hours just playing and riffing on blues scales in all keys. That was on tenor sax but I've been obsessed with fundamentals on trumpet so I should really get into blues on trumpet.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Arbans as a comeback player the thing I've appreciated is the youtube videos and materials. There are a gazillion duets, etudes, etc. on line now. It is definitely a different dynamic from 20 years ago. I like the idea of having a progression plan and would be glad to hear more about it.
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel,

Here is a link to the Arban Manual:

https://bolvinmusic.com/product/arban-manual/
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobD wrote:
Croquethed,

That's some good stuff. I find it a challenge to balance fundamentals with learning tunes, transcribing and learning improv. I played sax for 10 years as a comeback player and it was easier to practice jazz and not have to worry so much about fundamentals. I could play sax all day long without a break but trumpet is s different beast.

The blues scales are fun to play. Don't know where you're at but try adding the 2nd and the 6th and do all keys. I remember in high school one summer I had no part time job and I spent hours just playing and riffing on blues scales in all keys. That was on tenor sax but I've been obsessed with fundamentals on trumpet so I should really get into blues on trumpet.

There's nothing quite like standing on the front porch and blasting out that horn riff from Born Under a Bad Sign! Yeah, I play 2s and 6es in the major blues scales. I am torn between being upset my HS teachers didn't teach me that part of popular music or being thankful because had they done so, I probably would have ended up a horn bum on Decatur Street.
adc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got thru Arban and started on St.-Jacome almost 60 years ago. Its been 4 years now that I started up again. I use many books now. Ij like Clarke a lot.

If you use Arbans....get the book cut up and spiral bound it into 5 or 6 sections.
Even though that Arbans is not that hard comparatively... obviously one could still be a superb player with using only it, I assume
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you all still talking about Bolvin's Arban Manual? Or just Arban's itself?
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started the thread asking how far people have gone thru the Arban Manual. Seems like no many people have used it.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobD wrote:
I started the thread asking how far people have gone thru the Arban Manual. Seems like no many people have used it.

--------------------------------------
Have you found any benefit in using the recommendations in the Bolvin Manual versus the 'pick the ones you think will help' (or the ones that you prefer) method of using the Arban's material.

I just pick whatever appeals to me on a day by day basis. And I do find it good to 'reach' a little further than I can 'grasp' as a way to gradually improve.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobD wrote:

Many have, they just may not visit TH. We now have it available for the Hooten edition as well.
And we also have the St. Jacome Manual
https://bolvinmusic.com/product/saint-jacome-manual/

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,

Yup, I got the Hooten version and am working thru it now. Really enjoying it. Just wondered about how far others have progressed.
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobD wrote:
Eric,

Yup, I got the Hooten version and am working thru it now. Really enjoying it. Just wondered about how far others have progressed.

Glad to hear it, I've had a few people contact me that did get all the way through. No small task and will likely take longer than 69 weeks, depending on your abilities at the start.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 8. I was put in a small cubicle of which there were 12 in a room. The teacher pointed out the days practice pages. I was there for 3 hours every day for years. I got very good.... For my age.

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: