• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Suggestions for practice mute?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ackmondual

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Suggestions for practice mute? Reply with quote

I'm in an apartment building and would like the option to get in extra practice for a bit, after hours. My main criteria are:
1) Something within say, $50
a bit over is fine. Just don't want something prohibitively expensive

2) Reduce the volume enough that playing at mP or mF would "do the trick"
I used to hear piano practicing, but it was a bit muffled. I can also hear video playing, but again, that's muffled to the point where I can't make out exact noises nor dialog. Ditto when a couple is talking to each other.

I'm not going to be playing a Fortissimo. Don't think you should be playing that loud on a practice mute anyways. Plus, I have yet to reach that level (at least do so without sounding off)

Off the top of head, I was leaning towards a Denis Wick brand, since the practice mute for euphonium (DW5587 travel version) has been working out quite well. I've read some of the threads, and noticed user JoshRzepka posted some videos about various practice mutes (haven't gone through them yet), but was wondering if the community had any direct suggestions.
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bremner Whisper is my go-to for practicing when I don't need to be completely quiet. Least resistant practice mute I've played with!
arthurtwoshedsjackson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dillon Music has both the Bremner Practice and Whisper mutes listed at prices that fall within the OP’s budget.

https://www.dillonmusic.com/bremner-sssshh-practice-mute/

https://www.dillonmusic.com/bremner-sssshh-whisper-mute-trumpet/

I’ve used the Practice, which worked well. I also have the Best Brass Warmup (~$53), which I haven’t liked with any of my horns. I do like the aluminum Best Brass Warmup, but that doesn’t fit their budget.

Last edited by arthurtwoshedsjackson on Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:23 pm; edited 6 times in total
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet you already have a bubble mute you like and use; I'd recommend The Silencer:

https://www.trumpetsilencer.com

It works as well as any practice mute I've tried and, if you judiciously control your air, has very little back pressure.

Another tip I have picked up is, if feasible, get a match for your current mouthpiece and have the throat enlarged a few sizes. This will serve to somewhat counteract the perceived back pressure and may reduce the urge to push harder...

HTH

Ben
arthurtwoshedsjackson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Best Brass Nano for Harmon mutes:

https://www.dillonmusic.com/best-brass-nano-warm-up-mute/
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bremner mutes are great, and the new Stomvi UpMute is also excellent. Both of these are less resistant and more in-tune than any others I’ve tried.
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just released one for sale. You can see a video review of it in another thread in this forum.
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For an alternative to the Bremmer, you might try the Tom Crown Practice Mute. I really like mine, especially due to the fact that, if you find the mute too restrictive for your air flow rate, just enlarge one or more of the breather holes at the bottom by one drill bit size to balance your air flow between the mouthpiece throat and the mute's breather holes. Very little effect on intonation and you can play loudly on it without bothering your neighbors or house members. If you need extreme silence, just throw an old handkerchief or light rag into the mute to further muffle the sound.

http://www.tomcrownmutes.com/mutes_practice.html
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Trumcor Lyric Stealth but I haven’t tried most of those mentioned here.
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Yamaha silent brass, but the $17 Pampet mute off Amazon plays almost as well. More free blowing than the silent brass, quiet enough, and a LOT cheaper.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha Silent Brass is a wonderful practice aid - pircey but well worth it if you willl be using it a lot. With headphones on, you're less likely to overblow in an effort to hear yourself. You will back off and not push against it, more akin to mute-less play. Plus it's versatile with the line in feature - duets, play-alongs....

EazyBucket's (theeazybucket.com) "Silencer" is one of my favorites. I think it's length helps limit how much pitch gets messed up. Very quiet.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far be it for me to say that other's experiences are other than they say they were, so . . .

I've, personally, done quite a bit of playing different practice mutes. I have lived in facilities inhabited by older (harrumph) people who have zero tolerance for sound intruding into their space (as if they, alone, own that space). Nevertheless, sound suppression has been my primary concern, even at the cost of intonation and resistance.

Having said that, I go between the Yamaha Silent Mute -and I agree with zaferis, it's more costly but is very versatile and very silent. Sometimes I go back and forth with a Best Brass.

Some mutes are quiet but are brassy and their high frequencies carry. Some others are outstanding regarding intonation and resistance but are louder. But I've found the best of all worlds in the Yamaha (Best Brass coming in a close second).

You may find the following chart of acoustic parameters to practice mutes, helpful. https://everythingtrumpet.com/practice-mute-comparison-survey-by-bill-dishman

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
arthurtwoshedsjackson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play practice muted 99.9% of the time due to hearing damage and have found mute suitability (i.e., noise reduction that I perceive and intonation*) to be very horn-dependent. What works well in one horn may not in another. I now switch between the Wallace Studio and Best Brass aluminum, depending on the horn. I gave my Bremner Practice, Pampet and some others away. Silent Brass is one of the few I haven’t tried.

That said, the Bremner Practice would be my choice in the $50 realm.

*I don’t force the horn (or myself) to play at A440. I figure out the ‘A’ at which the horn is in best tune with itself and just play at that standard. (The Korg OT-120 tuner is a wonderful thing.) Since I only play alone, it really doesn’t matter. My Wessex cornet plays in very good tune, Wallace-muted, at A452. Things get squirrelly with the Best Brass, but that’s a better fit for my soprano trombone and bugle. It only takes a minute for my brain to adjust to another standard that works best with a different horn/mute combo.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you already own a harmon mute, playing it with the stem removed also lowers the dB level. Or a cup mute with the rim against the bell.
ackmondual

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently do not have any trumpet mutes, so those "add-ons" won't work.

I ended up ordering the Bremmer SSSSHH practice mute.

Thanks everyone for posting!
arthurtwoshedsjackson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ackmondual wrote:
I currently do not have any trumpet mutes, so those "add-ons" won't work.

I ended up ordering the Bremmer SSSSHH practice mute.

Thanks everyone for posting!

Good pick. Have fun with it!
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
in case you'd not like the bremner, i suggest strongly the wallace studio practice mute
best
RNOtrmptr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like the Yamaha comes with an earbud-type headset. Knowing nothing about electronics, impedances, etc., could I use an over-the-ear set of headphones instead? That's providing I can find headphones that still have a corded connection!
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use headphones with my Yamaha Silent Brass. As long as it has an aux cord, it will work with the system.
RNOtrmptr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, sir!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: