• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Recommendations, anyone?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nycbg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:21 am    Post subject: Trumpet Recommendations, anyone? Reply with quote

I'm no spring chicken - far from it. Still, after playing piano for several decades I got this trumpet bug.
So, which model would you recommend for an advanced-age-beginner?
Preferably under $1000 .
Many thanks.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used Getzen Capri. But buy (and pay a little more) from a reliable dealer (search list on trumpetherald.com) who has a liberal return policy in case something goes wrong or you just don't like it. Often well below $1,00.00.

BTW, this is a well-worn topic. Perhaps you could do a search for more info.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of choices out there. Getzen, as Kehaulani mentioned, you can find a Yamaha Xeno in decent shape for that price, Olds Studio, maybe Olds Super, plenty of Kanstul models, King Silver Flair 1055 (generally regarded to the later 2055)....there are tons of choices.
I would also suggest you contact someone like Trent Austin, his shop is Austin Custom Brass, or possibly Jim McCombs at Dillon Music, these guys are well known for being reputable dealers. The problem with buying used, if you’re not trumpet-experienced, is you might not know what possible problems to look for, these guys should help steer you in the right direction.

Best of luck, have fun!

Brad
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, boy. This is going to be fun

Welcome to the forum. You have just asked the penultimate question of trumpet players. heh. You might browse the Horns section here unless you're subject to sensory overload.

Since you're in NYC, check out Josh Landress' store and web site as well as Dillon Music in NJ for some price range research. Second the recommendation of Trent Austin out in Kansas City. He has a very nice web site, lots of high quality used horns, and superb customer service.
nycbg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Will look these models up.

Given all my years of INexperience, I'll probably be bugging you guys with questions galore.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
nycbg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here I go again...

I have checked your recommendations and some of them are clearly outside my budget (e.g., Yamaha Xeno, Kantsul, J.Landress store ...).

Getzen, on the other hand, looks affordable although the price range is somewhat baffling - from $250 to 1,900).

However, I have run into an ad for:

B&S 3137 G-L Challenger Alto Trumpet for just under $700. The price is unbelievable when compared to online stores.

Any opinions?
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nycbg wrote:
OK, here I go again...

I have checked your recommendations and some of them are clearly outside my budget (e.g., Yamaha Xeno, Kantsul, J.Landress store ...).

Getzen, on the other hand, looks affordable although the price range is somewhat baffling - from $250 to 1,900).

However, I have run into an ad for:

B&S 3137 G-L Challenger Alto Trumpet for just under $700. The price is unbelievable when compared to online stores.

Any opinions?

You realize that it’s an ALTO trumpet, right? Is that what you’re looking for? It might be priced low because an alto trumpet is much less popular than a Bb.

BTW, the Yamaha Xeno generally WILL be more than 1000, but they can be found in decent condition for 1000 or less. Kanstul made (they’re out of business now) a number of models that might be had for less than 1K used also. There was a Besson /Kanstul Marvin Stamm for sale in the marketplace here for around 750, those are GREAT pro horns, very undervalued. I had one I should have kept. Dillon Music has or had a Carol Brass listed new for around 750, another GREAT value. They’re made in Taiwan, but don’t be put off by that, they’re DEFINITELY pro horns, I have one that I sometimes use also. With those you would be getting a pro instrument, way less than 1K with no concerns about used horn possible problems.

The Getzen price ranges you mentioned most likely are horns that are running the gamut from student to pro instruments. Jay’s suggestion below to find a local experienced trumpet player to consult is very good, as would be taking private lessons, VERY much worth your time and money.

Call or email Trent Austin, he may have some good suggestions.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would also benefit from a good hands-on introduction to how a properly functioning trumpet should operate - the moving parts, and the general overall construction - so you are in a better position to evaluate the condition of ones that you are considering.

15 -30 minutes with a friendly local school band director, or adult amateur player should be enough - not to 'lean how to play', but just 'mechanics' of the trumpet as a physical tool.
Or go to a local music store that has demo instruments, and hopefully someone there would give you similar info - basically by asking "what should I look for, and expect, in a trumpet?". Similar to if you go to Home Depot and ask about some type of expensive powered tool.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one?

https://www.pawnamerica.com/Product/B_S_3137_G_L_Challenger_Alto_Trumpet_25225009251

It's a Bach 37 clone and a very reasonable one, it's a good beginner/intermediate horn. The price for this second hand one is hmmm, ok for a trader. They go new for 1249 euro at Thomann in Europe. This one looks not bad, a few spots on the bell, no signs of red rot, the condition of the valves is unknown, maybe you can ask them. Should not be a problem.

BTW I don't know why they say alto trumpet, it's a normal Bflat horn and the type indication is Challenger I, (there is also a much more expensive ChallengerII).
Dave_3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably call Trent Austin, at Austin Custom Brass. He has a boat load of used trumpets in your price range, and can probably make some recommendations, too.

https://www.austincustombrass.biz

Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

self deleted

Last edited by Brad361 on Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a good all around horn, the Yamaha YTR-6335 is generally available used in your price range. I use one as my backup horn -- played it tonight outside in the rain (well under a portico) for a church service. Very serviceable horn, professional grade. Usually can find with patience for around $800 or so. Look around be patient.
Not seeing any around at that price right now, but they do come around. They are fairly common.
If you can try it, all the better.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
nycbg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Brad, JayKosta, delano and cgaiii!

You guys are amazing!

1) I have started researching "ALTO" trumpet vs. Bflat. It says that it has a generally "lower tone" which sounds enticing since my ultimate goal is to buy a flugelhorn ... some day, when and if I ever master the basics on a regular trumpet.

2) I agree 100% with JayKostaand I have already reached out to a private instructor in my area (Queens, NYC). Plan to heed his advice and - probably - purchase the model that he recommends the most. But I'll definitely keep my ears (make that, eyes) open for whatever advice I can find here.

3) delano, YES, that's the one. Would you recommend buying it? I still plan to consult the instructor as I would also sign up for 5-10 intro. lessons.

I am hopeful that I'll be able to make reasonably quick progress as I am musically educated. I remember, many (really, MANY) years back how my bassoon teacher was floored after he heard me play F-major scale after only two lessons. Hope I can repeat that feat

What a great "lounge bunch" you guys are! Thank you again and happy holidays to all!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nycbg wrote:
... I have already reached out to a private instructor in my area (Queens, NYC). Plan to heed his advice ...

-------------------------
It seems that 'teaching trumpet' is sometimes made more difficult than necessary because of 'communication failure' - words and understanding of the ideas. When talking with the teacher, let the teacher hear your words about what you are understanding.
Playing trumpet doesn't require any big force or effort - it's a skill that might not seem obvious by watching people play. Yea, the real high-note playing does require strength to 'activate the skill', but normal range is primarily skill alone.

Good luck and have fun
nycbg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will remember your words, JayKosta. Too bad you're not closer by, although you're in the NY state.

Again, THANK YOU, good soul!

If you're celebrating Christmas today - All my heart goes t you and your family and friends.

My X-mas (not that it really matters) falls on January 7th. Don't ask me to explain. It's a long, very loooong, story!
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, the 3137G-L is NOT an alto trumpet but a regular Bflat.
Second, for a grand's budget there are a lot of horns for sale
Third, the 3137G-L is a good beginners horn but not better than a Yamaha 6335 (very good horn BTW) and others, maybe Getzen 700S or so (NO Sp!!).
Fourth, if you only want to play for fun and you want in the end a flügelhorn why not buying a flügel now? You can have a new Austin Custom Brass doubler's flügel for around 700 dollars and you can learn the basics on it very well. It has the right specs and seems to be a good playing horn anyway and of good quality, I live in Holland so I have unfortunately no experience with it.
Learning to play on a flügel is no problem I think, I know a lot of (good) players who started on flügel.
Be prepared that the trumpet/cornet, flügelhorn belong to a very select group of extreme difficult to learn instruments.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
... Be prepared that the trumpet/cornet, flügelhorn belong to a very select group of extreme difficult to learn instruments.

---------------------
I think that brass instruments are not all that difficult to learn to play, and to advance to decent achievement level.

Yes, to become a renowned excellent player takes effort and dedication, but just about every typical public school system has several 'good players' graduate every year.

There's no need to be concerned about the 'difficulty' of playing a trumpet / cornet / flugel - it's within the ability of just about everyone. If you were able to play bassoon without it sounding like an annoyed duck, then trpt will be easy!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
delano wrote:
... Be prepared that the trumpet/cornet, flügelhorn belong to a very select group of extreme difficult to learn instruments.

---------------------
I think that brass instruments are not all that difficult to learn to play, and to advance to decent achievement level.

Depends. On what? The individual.

I teach beginners, out of 24 students right now 12 are beginners. By FAR, the kids who put in some practice (at this level, only around a minimum of 20 minutes at least five times per week) generally progress fairly steadily. But like almost anything else, some kids are simply more naturally suited to playing a brass instrument, and a small percentage of those will progress steadily with very little effort. But for the average kid, (whatever “average” is,), it’s a fairly slow and not an easy process. Again, individual practice makes a TREMENDOUS difference.

Brad
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:

But like almost anything else, some kids are simply more naturally suited to playing a brass instrument, and a small percentage of those will progress steadily with very little effort. But for the average kid, (whatever “average” is,), it’s a fairly slow and not an easy process. Again, individual practice makes a TREMENDOUS difference.

Brad

------------------------------
I agree, and that's not much different than learning how to play basketball or baseball, or to learning how to sew.
And if 'individual practice' (along with good basic instruction) is a key part, then those students who have the desire and motivation to practice will succeed - to at least a decent amateur level, unless some 'handicap' inhibits their progress.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

But like almost anything else, some kids are simply more naturally suited to playing a brass instrument, and a small percentage of those will progress steadily with very little effort. But for the average kid, (whatever “average” is,), it’s a fairly slow and not an easy process. Again, individual practice makes a TREMENDOUS difference.

Brad

------------------------------
I agree, and that's not much different than learning how to play basketball or baseball, or to learning how to sew.
And if 'individual practice' (along with good basic instruction) is a key part, then those students who have the desire and motivation to practice will succeed - to at least a decent amateur level, unless some 'handicap' inhibits their progress.

Not trying to be argumentative, I don’t believe we really disagree much here, but I think learning to play a brass instrument is very different from learning basketball, etc. The reason I say that is because many kids who I teach are quite surprised early on that they are having a lot of difficulty in simple tone production. By contrast, give a kid a basketball and chances are he can at least get somewhat close to being able to play, on a VERY rudimental level, fairly quickly. Not necessarily so with a brass instrument.
I’ve had parents of beginners tell me how surprised their children were at the level of difficulty in the very beginning. And again, practice greatly helps, obviously, but a kid can kinda sorta play basketball or baseball with virtually no individual practice. Not so much with a brass instrument.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: